Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London School of Economics Courses

Options
  • 04-08-2010 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm considering enrolling for an LSE external study course and am trying to decide whether to do either a graduate diploma or an undergraduate degree. Economics is most likely the subject I'd opt for although I'm also tempted by the postgrad diploma in intl relatrions.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the LSE external process and how you found it. What sort of support do they provide ? Is it possible to get lecture notes or videos ?

Also wondering if anyone is considering enrolling this year and if so would you be interested in a study group - maybe once or twice per month - nothing too intensive on the group side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I have been considering this too, although in a different area to economics.

If you do a search you'll find a few previous threads.

The major issue seems to be that they provide reading lists (you have to buy the books yourself) and some material but no tutor or lectures or online stuff....you are basically on your own and must be very motivated to do the work

this may suit some more than others

The Open University is the other option regularly discussed which although more expensive seems to have more support/material etc

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mattyhislop

I'd also be very interested to hear how others have got on with the LSE Distance courses. I'm looking at their "BSC in Mathematics and Economics". It seems much better value than the Open University (particularly if based in Ireland) but as Riskymove points out, you don't seem to get much help throughout the course.

I read on the LSE website that it is possible to complete their distance degrees in a shorter time if you alreday have an undergraduate degree. Has anyone done / heard of anyone doing this?

Any thoughts would be great to hear.

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'd also be very interested to hear how others have got on with the LSE Distance courses. I'm looking at their "BSC in Mathematics and Economics". It seems much better value than the Open University (particularly if based in Ireland) but as Riskymove points out, you don't seem to get much help throughout the course.

I read on the LSE website that it is possible to complete their distance degrees in a shorter time if you alreday have an undergraduate degree. Has anyone done / heard of anyone doing this?

Any thoughts would be great to hear.

Thanks

You can see most if not all of the info on the shorter degrees on their website under graduate entry, or graduate degree or something, in the list of courses.

I started a thread on this before. I really wanted to study with them, but it just seems very difficult. It might work if you're very motivated, or if say, you speak Spanish but need a relatively cheap way of getting a degree in it.

I didn't opt for that in the end so can't help unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mattyhislop

Thanks for that Dory. Yeah, i had another look at their website and found out a bit more on the graduate entry route. It's available for some of their degrees but not the one i'm looking at unfortunately! Good bit more info on their site than I first thought.

Advertisement