Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the keypad dead?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,430 ✭✭✭✭

iv been looking for a top quality keypad phone for awhile now and iv hit a wall, it seems all the new phones are touch screen these days. I personally not the biggest fan of touch screen phones, just cant text with them etc

Have the companies stop making descent keypad phones and concentrating on the touch screen stuff ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Yes it seems that way, most phones are touch screen these days. Very few are keypad. Have you looked at the N900?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wouldn't say it is dead.

Some people will not live without a keypad, some people will not touch a keypad it is down to personal preference.

Having gone from the iPhone to the N900, I always thought I would never use a phone with a keypad again. Until I got the N900. :o

Would that make a good poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The keypad is in decline, but it won't be dead for quite some time yet. There are still those who prefer standard keypads and there are still plenty of handsets released with a keypad for it to not be too much of a worry for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Just a thought, is a touchscreen cheaper to produce (no buttons etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,430 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

angel01 wrote: »
    Yes it seems that way, most phones are touch screen these days. Very few are keypad. Have you looked at the N900?
    iv seen the N900 alright but the small buttons kinda puts me off ya know

iv been a previous iphone user (1st gen) and that has put me off touch screen phones completely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Headshot wrote: »
    iv been a previous iphone user (1st gen) and that has put me off touch screen phones completely

Touch screens are getting better all the time, and the Os behind them is adapting. The keypad has pretty much been covered, it works, dont get me wrong i love having a keypad, but its not really exciting for the want of a better word. People do like changes bringing new technology and gadgets.

Headshot wrote: »
    iv seen the N900 alright but the small buttons kinda puts me off ya know

I use the touchscreen on the HD2 and find that really easy to manage, you only have to gently press, in my opinion, keypads are dying and I don't think I could go back to one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I am looking at getting the E72 full qwert keyboard no touch screen

This post has been deleted.

Everything turns eventually :)

A strange example, but think of carpet. No one was buying it for ages, it was wooden floors everywhere, like some strange fetish, but now again carpets are making a come back. Its a very strange analogy i know :o, but you will see keypad phones again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i'm having the same problem, looking on meteor for top end keypad phone,
    big fingers don't type well on touchscreen

metalfest wrote: »
    i'm having the same problem, looking on meteor for top end keypad phone,
    big fingers don't type well on touchscreen

Getting your own handset, and using 30 day contracts (or payg) will be the future. Because your looking meteor, your only options are the E63 or the n97 really, where as if you get it sim free, you can get anything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

ahh yes, but with bill pay the tariffs are just too tempting and love the fact that phones are subsidised

metalfest wrote: »
    ahh yes, but with bill pay the tariffs are just too tempting and love the fact that phones are subsidised

What good is a subsidised phone if its not the one you really want!!!!!! :pac:

Wont have any horrible network branding either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I would've thought that with a keypad on a phone you get slightly better battery life rather than on one with a touch screen, supposing you have the same capacity battery in each phone.

But that's a minor concern really. It's horses for courses.

Davy wrote: »
    Getting your own handset, and using 30 day contracts (or payg) will be the future. Because your looking meteor, your only options are the E63 or the n97 really, where as if you get it sim free, you can get anything you want.

The N97 is an awful phone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

Now the iPod has Bluetooth connectivity I bet someone will build a pad for it that also acts as a back up battery. Bet they will also come out with a gaming - button board for psp type gaming.

Advertisement