Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes Young Adult Adventure Weekend

Options
  • 04-08-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Beaumont Hospital is organising the above event in Carlingford Adventure Centre, Co Louth for the weekend of the 3rd to 5th of September.

It's open to anyone who is aged between 18 and 25 years with type 1 diabetes. A bus will leave Beaumont at 3pm on the 3rd.

The weekend will cost E70 and will be filled with Kayaking, abseiling, high rope challenges and lots of fun and craic.
    To reserve a place call the Diabetes Day Centre in Beaumont Hospital on 01 809 2744

There are just a few places left.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Genuine question. Why is it only open to those with type 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Genuine question. Why is it only open to those with type 1?

I really don't know the answer to that question; you should really ask Beaumont.....

However, if you, or anyone else, falls into that age range, has diabetes but not type 1, then do ring Beaumont, tell them your story and about how you would like to meet people your own age with diabetes and if they would make an exception!

They do have places still available and NOTHING VENTURED, NOTHING GAINED.

Hi Graflynn.
    I dont have diabetes myself, just an interest in it. I was genuinely curious as to the reason for excluding those with type II.
    Ill give them a ring in the morning and see what they say.

Righteo, I gave them a ring and got chatting to a nurse.
    She told me it wasn't open to those with type II and when I asked why, she put me on to another nurse.
    The second nurse asked me if I had diabetes myself so I just pretended I did to get an answer to my question.
    Asked what drugs I was taking so I told her I was on metformin and insulin, and that I was 20 years old.
    She told me that was perfect and that she would send an application form out to my house. :confused:

Not sure why the first nurse told me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I would say because most type ii are diagnosed after the age of 30 and if your diagnosed before the age of 25 with type ii the chances are your obese and would be too big to fit in the kayak or go rock climbing...

only a thought!

• Advertisement
Advertisement