Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox NAT Issue

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

I am currently trying to resolve a NAT issue on a Xbox connection.

While checking Microsoft's help page at LINK:

I noticed what I think may be an error in their instructions in Solution 4 part 1 item 4. It reads "Make up a unique IP address for your Xbox 360 console and write it down. For example, add 10 to the last number of your computer’s default gateway address". Should this not read "add 10 to the last number of your computer’s default IP address"?

Am I reading this correctly? is that a mistake?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Nah it's not a mistake, your PCs default gateway could be something like 192.168.1.1/24 (just an example and not always the case). Your PC would send all traffic not destined for something on your LAN to this address which would be an interface on your modem/router. If you add 10 to the last octet of the address you'd get 192.168.1.11 which would be a valid address for you to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

rmacm wrote: »
    Nah it's not a mistake, your PCs default gateway could be something like 192.168.1.1/24 (just an example and not always the case). Your PC would send all traffic not destined for something on your LAN to this address which would be an interface on your modem/router. If you add 10 to the last octet of the address you'd get 192.168.1.11 which would be a valid address for you to use.

Thanks rmacm,

OK,

I have a Speedtouch modem (Smarttelecom) with a Netgear WGR614v7 wireless router connected.

I have a static IP set on my PC of 192.168.123.136

My Default Gateway is set at 192.168.123.254

I've assigned the IP address 192.168.123.156 to the XBox and opened the following ports on the Netgear router,

•TCP 80

•UDP 88

•TCP 3074

•UDP 3074

•TCP 53

•UDP 53

Both the PC & the XBox are connecting fine in so far as I have Internet connectivity on the PC & I have an XBox Live connection on the XBox.

When I test the XBox connection it connects to XBox Live but gives the NAT error

natwarning5942009.jpg

My XBox Network settings are as follows.

IP Address: 192.168.123.156

Gateway: 192.168.123.254

The XBox is connected via a set of Devolo 200Mbit/s homeplugs, one connected to the Netgear router & the other to the XBox.

Any idea where I'm going wrong as to why I'm getting that yellow triangle when I test the XBox connection? :confused:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

what is causing you difficulty is that there's two devices between the xbox & the internet...which means the xbox can't be connected from the outside world

The simplest way of getting xboxes or ps3s online is to have one network device between it & the internet, and have UPnP set on that device, so that the xbox/ps3 can forward whatever ports it requires automatically...

There are two ways of achieving this with your equipment

1. On the netgear, when you go to the management page (usually http://192.168.0.1/ ) is there an option to set it as an access point, as opposed to a router? (can't remember that particular screen at the moment...) If you can set it that way, it will cause the Netgear to stop routing, and just be an access point, logically removing a network device between the xbox & the modem.
    Once that's done, can you enable UPnP on the speedtouch, and set the xbox & your PC to DHCP?

If you can't enable wireless acces point mode, here's an alternate way of achieving the same thing: http://vpncasestudy.com/download/usefuldoc/how_to_access_point.pdf

2. Set your speedtocuh into bridge mode, and configure the netgear to initiate the PPPoE connection the the outside world. You'l need to know your smart username & password for this...

Advertisement