Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soul Calibur games (wtf??!)

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Goodness gracious me, I bought SCIV on sale for 15 quid and I was appalled by what I saw and played.

To my fingers, the game has gone very far downhill and is now worse then SC2, it's even worse then Soul blade. the moves are crap, the fighting system and AI are complete arse, the graphics are shiny and "high frame rate", but really cold and badly done and awkward looking, really ugly.

it was just awful, did they sell the franchise to a pair of Nigerian games developer working out of a caravan?

for such a new game, and such a (up until now) respected franchise, it looked horrible, and played really badly, I'm so shocked, it's like it has become the "Battle arena Toshinden" of Next gen consoles.

whats worse it's worth next to nothing in trade. so I'm better of literally throwing it in the bin, rather then giving it away.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I dunno, having seen some high level SC4 at WGC, I'd really rather watch that being played than, say, Tekken.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

*Soulcalibur IV tournament rules*

Highlights:
    • Algol and Hilde are banned. All other standard characters, including Star Wars characters are legal.
    • All Customs, including Angol Fear, Ashlotte, Kamikirimusi, Scheherezade and Shura are banned.
    • Darth Vader, Yoda, and The Apprentice (along with Algol and guest characters) are banned in France due to not "fitting" into the game's story.
    • Infinites: All Infinites Banned - Certain characters have "infinite combos" which are banned from all tournament play

And anyone who prefers Soulcalibur to Tekken, well... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Darth Vader, Yoda, and The Apprentice (along with Algol and guest characters) are banned in France due to not "fitting" into the game's story.

too much wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

you can say what you like, once a fighter loses it's good fighting system, nothing can save it. if they have to ban certain combos, and certain players, in order to hold a fair tournament, then its bad times.

the worst thing is SF4 was there for the same price, and I'm so sorry I didn't take it.

why dont they hand the game over to the tekken gang?

thats roughly the same type of fighter (unique commands, per player like Virtua fighter, bloody roar etc, unlike the sort attacks, plus specials, plus super specials ala MK, King of fighter SF etc)

tekken have managed to keep things reasonably balanced despite the growing roster of characters,

sure there's a few "top teir" and lesser ones, by tradition, but thats the same with every fighter inc SF.

if they keep going the way they are, it;s going to wind up like Mortal kombat; a flashy and broken laughing stock suitable for kids parties and bargain bins.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A big problem with Soul Calibur is that since SC3 theyhave slowed the game down massively for multiplayer and it just feels wrong. At leastwe have soul Blade and SC1 and 2 which are amazing.

it's a crying shame.

I wonder if it's worth hoping SC5 will be any good? they'd have to sit down and look at themselves and decide wither they're business men or game producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

To my fingers

I'd guess that you're playing on a standard xbox pad(dire). Get to grips with the stick and you're in a different ball game.

The frame rate is most likely down the the television you are using.

I'd agree that the whole franchise has gone downhill since SC2. Comparing it to Tekken is a no-go though, they are very different games and I would cringe at the thought of it being sent to the Tekken devs for 'improvement'. It still has it's core fighting system, 8-way-run being the main element. No other fighter has this, or a working version of it at least.

Yoda is banned because he can't be grabbed and is a 'fun' character. Algol is banned because of his infinite combos. The others are allowed in most tournaments.

Decent game posted below if you haven't seen it being played at a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Meirleach

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A big problem with Soul Calibur is that since SC3 theyhave slowed the game down massively for multiplayer and it just feels wrong. At leastwe have soul Blade and SC1 and 2 which are amazing.
    So basically we need a Soul Calibur 2 HD remix? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I think Vader and Apprentice are both allowed in most tournaments. Algol was banned from the start in France just because he was the Final Boss, which makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

GorySnake wrote: »
    I think Vader and Apprentice are both allowed in most tournaments.

So was Yoda, all the Star Wars characters are low tier, but afaik Yoda was the 2nd worst in the game.

Da Bounca wrote: »
    I'd guess that you're playing on a standard xbox pad(dire). Get to grips with the stick and you're in a different ball game.

I'd agree that the whole franchise has gone downhill since SC2. Comparing it to Tekken is a no-go though, they are very different games and I would cringe at the thought of it being sent to the Tekken devs for 'improvement'. It still has it's core fighting system, 8-way-run being the main element. No other fighter has this, or a working version of it at least.

Yoda is banned because he can't be grabbed and is a 'fun' character. Algol is banned because of his infinite combos. The others are allowed in most tournaments.

I played on PS3 (so PS3 controller) and the screen is HD.

now let me make something clear: I mistakenly compared SC to tekken before and was pounced upon by SC fan eagar to draw blood, so let me clarify:

while I realise there is a different system In SC, Tekken shares a "genus" with SC in the same way street fighter shares one with king of fighters, or and Final Fantasy Dissidia with something like dragon ball.

when I say "give it to the tekken crowd" what I mean is, have it balance tested as well as tekken is balanced tested, where even the joke characters and quite well handled, and there isin't any need to ban characters for having easy 100% finishers. not saying take tekken, delete the tekken charathers and import the SC "skins"

street fighter is a model of balance, yes there are anecdotally established "top teir vs the rest" lists, but these differences are self admittedly tiny compared to almost any other fighter and very well done. An example of a fighter "like" street fighter (a general-commands-plus-unique-special-moves-y kind of system) gone bad would be something like mortal kombat or Battle arena toshinden, like wise an example of a fighter "like" tekken (a collection-of-different-styles-and-controlling-techniques) but gone bad would be something like Sacred fist or SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Da Bounca wrote: »

Seriously, ring outs in competitive play? That screams unfair to me.

^-- And thus we have a split tournament player base.
    FYI I just looked up this stuff on 8WayRun.com (US SC-centric site)

ps: I weep for anyone asking for "balance" who hasn't played Virtua Fighter...

Weird, I found the ps3 controller quite good for SC.
    Even though the screen may be HD, it can still have a poor framerate/screen delay. I have noticed it many times when playing SC, more so than SF games.

Yes, SC4 definitely needed more testing. It is no longer in the arcades though, which is why SC1 was so balanced. It was released in the arcades first and got tested through and through before hitting the consoles.

If by genus you mean that tekken and SC are 3d, well then yes they do share that. That's about it as far as I can see though.

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Seriously, ring outs in competitive play? That screams unfair to me.

Yah, it is pretty lame. I don't mind the levels that have 1 side of ring out, but the ones that have no walls whatsoever are awful to play on. Takes away from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

SC4 is bad joke, easily one of the biggest disappointments ever for my money (unless you count Smash Bros as a fighting game then Brawl gives it a run for its my money).

Used to be one of my most beloved series, but bloody hell they've butchered it beyond belief.

When a handheld exclusive update gets released you know they just don't give a **** anymore.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

When a handheld exclusive update gets released you know they just don't give a **** anymore.... :(

Speaking of. Is that any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

No idea what kind of actual improvements were made, couldn't bring myself to buy another FG for the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

SCIV shouldn't be competitively played.. Simple as ring outs/ Infinates/ Over powerd?.. Meh

I always just thought SC was a rushed game where they threw what money they had at the game, then went slightly broke and got it on the market as quick as they could.. haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Sairus wrote: »
    Speaking of. Is that any good?

Great actually, think of SC4 but with Kartos from GOW and some other new guy (cant remember his name) instead of the Star Wars characters, no real story but extra modes to compensate.

Though to be fair your probably better off buying BlazBlue portable, Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus or Tekken 6 instead.

ring outs/walls/roofs are fine once they're handled well. There is a long tradition of fighting games using stages for advantages/disadvantages, Virtua Fighter has ring outs dosn't it?

I mean what's the difference between being clever enough to ring somebody out or backing them into a corner and kicking the **** out of them? in most games, SF included, corners can be death trap if handeled well, ring outs aren't really that much of an added stretch. and In SCIV's case, it's the least of their worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I really enjoyed Soul Calibur 2.

Never played the game seriously, but as a casual button mash fest, it was fun and pretty, and some of the music was good too. It was the game I actually ended up buying my two Snes style GCN controllers for, because the tiny GCN d-pad always murdered my fingers.

Also Link!

I put way more time into the original Soul Blade unlocking everything in Weapon Master mode. Loved how you could choose between the Good and Bad endings by pressing buttons during the cutscenes. Still a little bitter about how much of the cast were axed/recast between Blade and Calibur.

The Bravely Folk Song still kicks all kinds of ass

ring outs/walls/roofs are fine once they're handled well. There is a long tradition of fighting games using stages for advantages/disadvantages, Virtua Fighter has ring outs dosn't it?

I mean what's the difference between being clever enough to ring somebody out or backing them into a corner and kicking the **** out of them? in most games, SF included, corners can be death trap if handeled well, ring outs aren't really that much of an added stretch. and In SCIV's case, it's the least of their worries.
    In Virtua Fighter, Ring-Out victories are quite rare, as the fighters can move around the arena just enough to prevent it, and combos generally don't float far enough anyway.

The difference in SCIV is that Hilde can RO with 1 combo, which isn't even hard to set up, from pretty much ANYWHERE on-screen.

precisly my point, the issue isn't the RO, it;s the ability to get poxy RO because of a broken system.

It's not a problem in VF because VF is better developed and tested. don't get rid of RO: develop the game properly so RO cant be abused.

Advertisement