Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restoring factory settings

• 04-08-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi all,
    A quick question re restoring factory settings. We have a Dell desktop computer at home which has been running excruciatingly slow for almost a year now. We have had it for about 4 years. We have had various suggestions as to things to download to search for viruses, spyware etc and my dad even bought a package online to install which was supposed to clean up the pc but it has had little effect.
    So now a friend has suggested we wipe the computer and restore it to factory settings. I know this would mean that everything we ever did/installed/saved to the computer would be gone but as time goes by we are not using it as much since there are other laptops etc in the house and my dad just really wants it for internet access. Can anyone tell me if restoring the factory settings might be a good option in this case? Also if so how do I go about doing it? :)
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Might be more hassle in restoring to factory settings to be honest! I mean you'd need any/all program keys that you've installed. Disks if you need them. Profiles\Documents, etc. More hassle than it's worth sometimes!

If it's running slow I'd highly recommend running Ccleaner to clear space, remove some useless programs and fix the registry. Also Defraggler or MyDefrag will work a treat too. Or try to upgrade the RAM (if disk space isn't the issue).

EDIT: With links!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

see here,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeF3xUOpNzc&feature=related
    cntrl key and f11 key hold them when you see the dell blue logo.
    it,ll reinstall windows,os, and a browser.You,ll lose data,pics mp3s, etc any user data on the pc ,it reformats drive c. or hold down f8 reboot ,wait for safe mode menu, ,choose repair my computer ,use arrow up, enter key,select it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

Thanks for the advice guys, gonna try the ccleaner and if it's still bad will try restoring settings; that youtube tutorial looks pretty comprehensive!!
    Cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Your machine is probably running like sihte because you've A) Loads of stuff installed and B) Got everything set to start up when the machine does.

This is the main cause of a slow machine. Programs running in the background, taking up memory and not even being used.

The likes of google desktop, dvd software, msn, skype, even dells pointless diagnostic crap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

How much ram dose the 4 year old dell have?

• Advertisement
Advertisement