Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible one of the greatest live bands ever?

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

i have been listeening to greenday for as long as i can remember :)

yes i am only 15 but still. i personaly love there old stuff and really not bothered with their new albumn its just not my taste :p

but personaly i would say that greenday are one if not the best live bands in the world atm :)

jus wana see wat other ppls oppinions are on it? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Rammstein are without a doubt the greatest live show going, discussion over as far as im concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Eire we are

ok lol :)
    jus seeing ppl opionions :)
    this is mi first ever time using boards and didnt really know wat to write :P
    but i have listened to Rammstein i like a few of there song :)
    i must check out some videos of them live :P
    tanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Kiss are pretty epic live.

yeah they are :)

mi agrees wivv that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Green Day put on a good show, but there are better live bands (the two mentioned already being good examples)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Metallica. /thread.

Their album output has waned over the past few years, but as a live act, they're pretty much untouchable imo.

personaly not a huge matalica fan :/
    but yeah everyone else likes them so i jus go wit the flow :P

jus like to say tanks for all the comments this is mi first post thing on boards all u guys are cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

ok lol :)
    jus seeing ppl opionions :)
    this is mi first ever time using boards and didnt really know wat to write :P
    but i have listened to Rammstein i like a few of there song :)
    i must check out some videos of them live :P
    tanks :D

Heres one from the new tour which pretty much sums up their live show at the minute, the quality doesnt exactly do it justice but im sure youll get the basics

thats a very good show :) like the sound perfect :)

i thinks u probly are right :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I seen Muse live in Toronto a few years ago, they absolutely blew me away. I'm not a big Muse fan but would say they probably put on the best gig i've seen, not my favourite though that honour is reserved for Rodger Walters doing Dark Side of the Moon live. As for Green Day i've never seen them live but i really dislike them and don't think i could even give them a chance live even if they preformed well....i'm prejudiced :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I have to say most people are pretty spot on.

For no frills, just passion, energy and good live performance it'll always be Pearl Jam for me.

Those Rammestein shows are mental. (Kinda think Muse live can be over-rated IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Its all down to years under your belt lack of decent soundchecks etc.. so you just do what you do...

Green day back in 90's were rough.... now like a machine :D same with most acts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I think too many people think a band is a great live band just because they like the songs, and they songs are well-played. Any band who can't play all their tunes perfectly (alright, everyone makes mistakes now and then) shouldn't be playing gigs.

Billie Joe Armstrong is an awesome frontman, he does it all perfectly for Green Day's style and type of music and all.

I don't get why Muse are put around as such a great live band - they've got expensive stage equipment, that doesn't make them great. If you go to see a band, and they're too busy up on fifty-foot platforms surrounded by lights and lazers, where's that connection between artist and audience? The whole point of a gig is lost on Muse.

I think The Flaming Lips do it pretty well, they've got enough gimmicks and stage tricks to satisfy that aspect, but they have lots of genuine banter and really reach out for that connection. I've seen them six times, and what they do lack is good setlists. They play to the crowd too much, hardly play any of their older stuff past 1999.

Wilco are great. There's so much going on onstage, and you're watching some really incredible musicians (I know everyone says their favourite bands are incredible, but see how many bands you can think of that have a more talented drummer/guitarist combination than Glenn Kotche and Nels Cline), they play for AGES, and they pick songs from all throughout their back catalogue (which is extra cool, I think, 'cause their lineup has been through so many changes). They kinda lack that connection though, from the few times I've seen them.

My favourite might be Radiohead. Again TONS of stuff going on onstage, five very good musicians playing (imo) pretty great music, with loads of instruments on the go. Big lights for that wow factor. A proper mental frontman who loses himself in the moment all the time, and still has room for some banter. They make mistakes a good bit, but they always seem to make fun of them and recover nice and quickly.

But then I'm a sucker for any band with a modular synthesiser in their live setup :cool:

The Hives are great! Howlin' Pelle is such a good frontman, and their ultimate arrogance thing is so entertaining to watch. They play the **** out of everything, with an insane guitarist and drummer. Really good fun band, but they kinda lack the seriousness I like in a good show.

Bruce Springsteen is a master at this kind of stuff. If you want to see how to put on a live show, get the live DVD from New York City (I think it was in 2000). Every move of every member on stage is perfect, and they do sooo much more than just bang out the tunes. Bruce ALWAYS nails that connection, he could be playing to one person in the house, and he'd still give it socks. And if you see the London Calling DVD that was just released, the guy's still doing it at 60!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

Radiohead were just colossal live, definitely the best live act ive seen. Prodigy are very good as well. Does anyone notice that an awful lot of singers cant sing for **** live though?

Oh yeah, Queens of the Stone age deserve a mention too, solid live band.

The_D_Man wrote: »
    Does anyone notice that an awful lot of singers cant sing for **** live though?

I don't mind that so much. In a studio, there's no excuse not to have everything done perfectly, but dodgy vocals live, I think it adds to the authenticity/sincerity of everything. Thom Yorke can't sing very well live, but he's a damn good frontman. Wayne Coyne's in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen is a master at this kind of stuff. If you want to see how to put on a live show, get the live DVD from New York City (I think it was in 2000). Every move of every member on stage is perfect, and they do sooo much more than just bang out the tunes. Bruce ALWAYS nails that connection, he could be playing to one person in the house, and he'd still give it socks. And if you see the London Calling DVD that was just released, the guy's still doing it at 60!!

This. There is nobody that comes close to this man. Nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭The_D_Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1nFB-R-_gI

singing aint too bad here, not too polished but isnt a guttural cacophany at the same time!

Love this song though!

The_D_Man wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1nFB-R-_gI

singing aint too bad here, not too polished but isnt a guttural cacophany at the same time!

Love this song though!

Hey, that could be a bluegrass tune in that arrangement! :p

Thom's voice isn't nearly perfect here, but it does the job that way, I think;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JUlCU04p94

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Prodigy are the best live act that I have ever seen.
    I went to slane for Oasis but came back with a new favourite band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I don't mind that so much. In a studio, there's no excuse not to have everything done perfectly, but dodgy vocals live, I think it adds to the authenticity/sincerity of everything. Thom Yorke can't sing very well live, but he's a damn good frontman. Wayne Coyne's in the same boat.

Ah yes but then there's Ian Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Muse are by far the best live band I've ever seen. Especially back in 2001/2002. The energy Matt Bellamy had on stage was unreal. They're still good these days but it pales in comparison to what they once were.
    I don't get why Muse are put around as such a great live band - they've got expensive stage equipment, that doesn't make them great. If you go to see a band, and they're too busy up on fifty-foot platforms surrounded by lights and lazers, where's that connection between artist and audience? The whole point of a gig is lost on Muse.

Muse gained it's best live band repuation from the gig's it did from 2001 -2004. They've only really gone lights and stage show crazy on the last 2 tours and I think they still make a connection with the audience even if the stage show restricts them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Obviously not at the moment but jasus Queen @ Live Aid was something else :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

For me, the best live band in a rock context is The Fall. total precision, every note and movement dictated by Mark E. Smith, "stand there, play this, times up, let's go". No messing about or cheesy stage antics. You're lucky if you get an hour from them, live performance without the bloat you get from other bands.

I once watched a live recording from the mid-eighties, in the video the guitarist and bass player switch sides during a song, Smith pauses mid-song to tell them both to "get it together" and drop the stage-moves because "we're not f**king U2".

I'd rather a dictatorial curmudgeon like Smith - bare bones, than a revolving stage or 40+ American lads in badly applied eye-liner getting kids up to play their instruments for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

See Radiohead actually change up the music live instead of playing a best of. This is why I think they're the best live show I've ever seen 3 or 4 times. And I've seen a bunch of the groups mentioned in the thread, but not Greenday cos they're terribad. And Rammstein because I have a fear of being ejaculated upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

nommm wrote: »
    Muse are by far the best live band I've ever seen. Especially back in 2001/2002. The energy Matt Bellamy had on stage was unreal. They're still good these days but it pales in comparison to what they once were.

Muse gained it's best live band repuation from the gig's it did from 2001 -2004. They've only really gone lights and stage show crazy on the last 2 tours and I think they still make a connection with the audience even if the stage show restricts them.

Ay hey man that's not true at all. Post small shows and pre stadium gigs Muse were farcical live. No lights show/no crowd interaction/no intimatcy. Hulabaloo and Absolution were terrible tours. Average setlist on Absolution tour was 1hr 10mins. WTF like??? Saw them in Earls Court and Bellamy said "Thank You!" twice during the gig and that being his entire reaction with us. I've seen Muse 6 times and beside Heineken Green Energy gig nearly a decade ago and London in '07 they've aways been sub-par live in my books. It's the fact that they've good songs that keeps it rolling along if you get my drift. If Muse did a rarities show fans would not be pleased and of course why not i paid €60 to hear Starlight and Muscle Museum not Shine Acoustic or something.

Where you at that farce in Dublin 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

the golden era of live performing was the late sixties. I would put The who's set at Isle of wight up there with anything. Zeppelin were at they best around 71, Rory Gallagher around 74 to 76 were breathtaking , stones were pretty great too.

Of the modern era I devine anyone who can top Pearl Jam as a live draw. They are amazing and constantly change their set list. Ocean Colour scene are pretty amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

A few that haven't already been mentioned:

Grizzly Bear: Very grateful and good-natured toward the audience, wide-ranging setlists, expert playing, great atmosphere.
    Rage Against the Machine: Pretty much as above; there's a real sense that the band realise there's no point in doing what they're doing without the audience.
    Rufus Wainwright: Born for the stage. His solo show in the Grand Canal Theatre recently was spectacular.
    Arcade Fire: One word: Energy!
    Kings of Leon: These guys are seriously hardcore, I hear they're eating **** on stage now... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

:eek:

Pearl Jam!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Ay hey man that's not true at all. Post small shows and pre stadium gigs Muse were farcical live. No lights show/no crowd interaction/no intimatcy. Hulabaloo and Absolution were terrible tours. Average setlist on Absolution tour was 1hr 10mins. WTF like??? Saw them in Earls Court and Bellamy said "Thank You!" twice during the gig and that being his entire reaction with us. I've seen Muse 6 times and beside Heineken Green Energy gig nearly a decade ago and London in '07 they've aways been sub-par live in my books. It's the fact that they've good songs that keeps it rolling along if you get my drift. If Muse did a rarities show fans would not be pleased and of course why not i paid €60 to hear Starlight and Muscle Museum not Shine Acoustic or something.

Where you at that farce in Dublin 2006?

No I didn't go see them in 2006. I saw them several times before that though. Earls Court was one of the best gigs I've ever attended. Then again I don't particularly care for stage banter as most of the time it seems false to me.

And fans wouldn't be pleased if they did a rarities show? Most of the Muse fans I know complain about the fact that recent setlists look like their greatest hits CD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Neil young was the best last year in the o2 finishing with a day in the life was just so cool and the best irish band has to be the frames they have so much energy..... or bruce (seen him a few times) he knows how to get it goin

Advertisement