Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible one of the greatest live bands ever?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

nommm wrote: »
    No I didn't go see them in 2006. I saw them several times before that though. Earls Court was one of the best gigs I've ever attended. Then again I don't particularly care for stage banter as most of the time it seems false to me.

And fans wouldn't be pleased if they did a rarities show? Most of the Muse fans I know complain about the fact that recent setlists look like their greatest hits CD.

That's exactly my point. Back in the early naughties the show were filled with hardcore fans who would love a rarities shows. Now at the big stadium gigs if they didn't play the hits there would be war as the majority of fans are casual fans, like a KOL or U2 show. Im not saying any of this is the band's fault - i ****in' love Muse but it's still a problem and something i personally have no time for. Bands like Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead, etc play completely different setlists every night and their is no fracus at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ay hey man that's not true at all. Post small shows and pre stadium gigs Muse were farcical live. No lights show/no crowd interaction/no intimatcy. Hulabaloo and Absolution were terrible tours. Average setlist on Absolution tour was 1hr 10mins. WTF like??? Saw them in Earls Court and Bellamy said "Thank You!" twice during the gig and that being his entire reaction with us. I've seen Muse 6 times and beside Heineken Green Energy gig nearly a decade ago and London in '07 they've aways been sub-par live in my books. It's the fact that they've good songs that keeps it rolling along if you get my drift. If Muse did a rarities show fans would not be pleased and of course why not i paid €60 to hear Starlight and Muscle Museum not Shine Acoustic or something.

Where you at that farce in Dublin 2006?

What was wrong with the gig in 06?

I've seen Muse 7 times (soon to be 8) in various settings and each time it's been amazing.

I dont pay top dollar to listen to some wanker massage the egos of the crowd, I'm there for the music. I'd take the odd thank you over some pretentious speech any day of the week.

Btw, the Absolution Tour set in Dublin in 04 had 18 songs in it. You were hardly robbed seeing them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

I was at the green day gig in marley park a few weeks ago and they were good but not great.
    AC/DC or ZZ Top are some of the greatest ive saw live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

U2 and Neil Young both number 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sleepless In West Cork

i'd put 2Phat2Phunk up there with crystal swing as a great local pop act - fantastic on stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 funnyvic

um, queen? love them:)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What was wrong with the gig in 06?

I've seen Muse 7 times (soon to be 8) in various settings and each time it's been amazing.

I dont pay top dollar to listen to some wanker massage the egos of the crowd, I'm there for the music. I'd take the odd thank you over some pretentious speech any day of the week.

Btw, the Absolution Tour set in Dublin in 04 had 18 songs in it. You were hardly robbed seeing them then.

The '06 Dublin gig was a joke imo. Poor sound and flat performance that was over in no time.

Besides that you're not really replying to my message. I never said i was being robbed. I never stated that they were rip-offs. I never said they're always **** live. I never said i prefer pretentious speeches either lol.

I've went to see them 4 times before for a reason.

But yes i wouldn't be pleased going to a band of such quality and especially youth and only getting 18 songs. That in my opinion (for a large gig of that size) is not enough, maybe for a festival that's fine but not for a gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 drunknmunky_21

Bruce Springsteen and the E street band...by far the most incredible concert i have ever been to. For a 60 year old man to be able to bring such energy and passion to a stage for 3 hours.It was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 !Pablo Fanquez!

MY AMP GOES UP TO 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

muse and u2 are fantastic live and well worth the money but the best band Ive ever seen live and Ive seen them numerous times are kasabian they get better with each performance and the crowd involvement is unbelievable for a band with only 3 albums under there belt and are still young enough they are great entertainment truly enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Lightning Bolt are insanly fun to watch live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

TheBandit wrote: »
    I seen Muse live in Toronto a few years ago, they absolutely blew me away. I'm not a big Muse fan but would say they probably put on the best gig i've seen, not my favourite though that honour is reserved for Rodger Walters doing Dark Side of the Moon live. As for Green Day i've never seen them live but i really dislike them and don't think i could even give them a chance live even if they preformed well....i'm prejudiced :(
    El Pr0n wrote: »
    I think too many people think a band is a great live band just because they like the songs, and they songs are well-played. Any band who can't play all their tunes perfectly (alright, everyone makes mistakes now and then) shouldn't be playing gigs.

Billie Joe Armstrong is an awesome frontman, he does it all perfectly for Green Day's style and type of music and all.

I don't get why Muse are put around as such a great live band - they've got expensive stage equipment, that doesn't make them great. If you go to see a band, and they're too busy up on fifty-foot platforms surrounded by lights and lazers, where's that connection between artist and audience? The whole point of a gig is lost on Muse.

Greenday are a complete different kettle of fish.. Songs are not half as good but will be loved by the pop rock culture.. (hey I've got an idea.. lets write a riff and just keep playing it over and over again.. That makes a song rite!)

Their stage performance involves alot of crowd interaction which I dont really like that much as its all false and fake.. they spend 20 mins getting different parts of the crowd to weeehhyy-woooooo..

Such a waste and not worth seeing.

Muse are a fantastic LIVE band.. Best I have ever seen.. EVER!

They never do interact with the crowd much but that really doesnt bother me.. I'd much prefer to hear them rocking out the tunes than talking crap!

I can see where El Pr0n;67281917 is coming from about the stage setup alrite thou.. Back in the day.. 2001 era.. they were just a band on stage doing the best live performances that no band could match. that was epic!!

I still think they have that live edge over the rest but I some of the over the top stage props are not needed.. (but still amazing none the less)
    nommm wrote: »
    No I didn't go see them in 2006. I saw them several times before that though. Earls Court was one of the best gigs I've ever attended. Then again I don't particularly care for stage banter as most of the time it seems false to me.

And fans wouldn't be pleased if they did a rarities show? Most of the Muse fans I know complain about the fact that recent setlists look like their greatest hits CD.

when MUSE play festivels they always have a greatest hits kind of approach coz all of the people at a festival are not MUSE fans!! so they play a setlist that will appeal to everybody!!

When you go to more intimate gigs they always play something fantastic that you dont expect in the mix..

They usually play either citizen erased or microcuts.. 2 of the big fan favourites!!

I've seen MUSE 9 or 10 times now.. cant keep track.. and I'm off to Wembley stadium again in September.. If I had the money and the time I'd follow them all around the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

AC/DC!!!! I went to see them last year in punchestown, I got right up to the top barrier and free passes into the mosh pit. They blew me away from the minute they came on stage, definately the best band I have seen live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ExogenesisMuse

I saw Muse for the first time at Wembley on the 10th September. They were absolutely incredible! They blew me away! I see why they've won so many best live act awards! I recommend seeing Muse! Matt Bellamy, Dom Howard, Chris Wolstenholme, AMAZING!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I saw Muse for the first time at Wembley on the 10th September. They were absolutely incredible! They blew me away! I see why they've won so many best live act awards! I recommend seeing Muse! Matt Bellamy, Dom Howard, Chris Wolstenholme, AMAZING!!

I was at Wembley myself also! Went to both gigs and the 2nd nite on sat 11th was by far a much better gig...

not because of performance but because the setlist was far superior!! Was amazing to see them again thou!! Defo best live band at the moment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Pink Floyd in the 80s for me anyway. Stones next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ExogenesisMuse

hypermuse wrote: »
    I was at Wembley myself also! Went to both gigs and the 2nd nite on sat 11th was by far a much better gig...

not because of performance but because the setlist was far superior!! Was amazing to see them again thou!! Defo best live band at the moment!!!
    I wanted to go on Saturday too but it was sold out! It's not fair Sat got Ruled By Secrecy, Bliss, Citizen Erased and MK Ultra! I got Guiding Light and Neutron Star Collision lol were you standing or seated on Friday? I was seated Level 5.
    I agree they are the best live band at the moment! They've always been the best live band :D:D:) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The Prodigy are the best.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    The Prodigy are the best.

Ah c'mon now. They play about 20/25 songs from a collection of 40 every single gig. It can be a great show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Nine Inch Nails usually put on a pretty good live show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Ah c'mon now. They play about 20/25 songs from a collection of 40 every single gig. It can be a great show though.

You think their entire back catalogue is 40 tracks?

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    You think their entire back catalogue is 40 tracks?

No of course not. That's not what i meant at all. It's just on their tours every setlist is almost identical bare a song here or there. Like their gigs in Greece and France at the moment, (beside one show that was two songs shorter) every single setlist was the exact same, even the flippin' running order for heaven's sake.

Advertisement