Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scan/OCR

• 04-08-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need to scan an entire book (~200 pages) for a client. He then wants to use OCR software to get an editable copy of the text. Can anyone recommend a company who would do this type of thing? I'm in Limerick but it doesn't really matter where it gets done.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

We've used this company quiet a bit. Can't imagine it'd be cheap when it's just one book though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

John2002 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I need to scan an entire book (~200 pages) for a client. He then wants to use OCR software to get an editable copy of the text. Can anyone recommend a company who would do this type of thing? I'm in Limerick but it doesn't really matter where it gets done.

Thanks in advance.

John.
    What sort of a time span do you have? I would suggest buying a halfway decent scanner and do it all yourself. There is usually a mini OCR program bundled with the scanner.

I have an Epson 3200 which is pretty effective. There's an OCR program supplied which will do a very good job, at least it does for me!

This is in that range and has a transparency adapter as well. Files can saved to Microsoft Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

From experience you will need quite a high end scanner to make sure every word is editable.
    I work for a company in Dublin which does work like this and if you want to get into contact me just pm me your details and I'll give you a ring.
    Think it's against board rules to say my company name / advertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

I have ABBYYfine reader and its excellent software and I have an average scanner and it does the job.
    You should try the free trial and see if it would be more cost effective than getting a company to do it for you
    http://finereader.abbyy.com/trial/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went with mordeith's recommended company, they weren't too expensive and my client was happy.

I wasn't fussed with doing that myself due to the tedious nature of scanning 200 pages of a book!

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Glad to be of help. I might mention that I passed some business their way and they might give us a discount next time :D

Advertisement