Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease signed with agency, landlord then moves someone else in

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    A mate of mine was looking for a place to live and found a place on Daft through "The Letting Agency". The place is pretty nice and they all decided to take it. Last Thursday they all signed the lease and paid their deposit and got the keys. When they came back on Monday night after the bank holiday they had their agent "The Letting agency" telling them that they would have to move their stuff out as the landlord signed someone else in.

Do my mates have any rights in this instance as they have paid their deposid and have signed a lease. Whos is at fault in this case. The agency or the landlord.

Any advice is appreciated.

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Was the lease signed by the landlord as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

amcalester wrote: »
    Was the lease signed by the landlord as well?

I am not sure. I sont think so. Does the Agency not have proxy when dealing with tennants?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They should not move out and should not hand back the keys.

They should immediately lodge a complaint with the PRTB about the issue.

A contract/lease is in place and they have paid a deposit plus moved in.

It sounds very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sounds like the landlord was trying to let the place out himself to save paying the agents fees.

Definitely ring Threshold before going anywhere.

Thanks for the help folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Stand your ground and get them to give you back your deposit and also pay you a month's "inconvenience" money. Tenant's have all the rights here - once your in and have the keys then don't move.

Would not like to have what I am suggesting done to me, as a landlord, but at the same time I would never feck someone over like that.

Stand your ground and get them to give you back your deposit and also pay you a month's "inconvenience" money. Tenant's have all the rights here - once your in and have the keys then don't move.

Would not like to have what I am suggesting done to me, as a landlord, but at the same time I would never feck someone over like that.

They decided to take their money back and run as it was not worth the hassle and the stress.

Cheers again for the advice

Advertisement