Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Before on mussels...

Options
  • 04-08-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I bought some garlic breaded mussels in Dunnes last month and the Best Before date is 23rd July. I thought I was going to eat them and kept them in the fridge but then stuck them in the Freezer on that morning.

Would it still be safe to eat them considering they're frozen the it's on a Best Before date?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

They should probably be safe but to be honest when it comes to shell fish I work on the motto when in doubt throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If they've been frozen you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

shellfish is one thing you don't mess with

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I wouldn't mess with uranium or molten lava either. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

OP...I bet youll find they have a "Use By Date" as opposed to a "Best Before"...ever wondered what the difference was?

I would never take a chance on a UBD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

use by dates or best before dates dont apply when freezing stuff.it will sometimes tell on packet how long it can be frozen for.id guess a month or so.if theres thawing instructions id follow them,like thawing them in the fridge and follow normal rules with mussels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

use by dates or best before dates dont apply when freezing stuff.it will sometimes tell on packet how long it can be frozen for.id guess a month or so.if theres thawing instructions id follow them,like thawing them in the fridge and follow normal rules with mussels
    Not quite right there. if you freeze something that has already past its UBD you have not removed or reduced the hazard (if there is a risk of pathogenic food poisioning or chemical in terms of toxins).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Voltex wrote: »
    Not quite right there. if you freeze something that has already past its UBD you have not removed or reduced the hazard (if there is a risk of pathogenic food poisioning or chemical in terms of toxins).

i would assume someone wouldnt freeze stuff past its use by date,thats just madness!normally people freeeze stuff soon after they buy it,recommended on day of purchase.freezing wont remove the dangers of food poisoning anyways,only cooking something will

Advertisement