Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike modification or get a new one?

• 04-08-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I have a Raleigh Vitesse (20 yrs old - known as a trainer rather than an all-out racer - not really sure what this means) that got little use for the last 10 years but as the kids are older I'm using it again to go out on spins with them on country road and mild tracks.

I was planning to change the wheels/tyres from the stock 700-20 to wider ones to suit the new uses. However, I also injured my arm earlier in the year and it has affected the way I ride my bike. I can't take much weigh on my wrist anymore and changing gears on the down tube can be a problem. As a result the Vitesse is not much fun to ride anymore - sore wrist or sore ass.

I'm wondering if I change to wider wheels/tyres, turn the handle bars up and get a better sprung saddle will it make much difference or do I need a new bike?

I'm not interested in a hybrid - I think a CX or an old fashioned tourer is what I need but I'm not giving up on the Vitesse just yet.

PS. the Vitesse has an oval shaped Shimano biopace chainring that I'm told knackers your knees eventually.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

zarkov wrote: »
    the Vitesse has an oval shaped Shimano biopace chainring that I'm told knackers your knees eventually.
    Is this true? I ask because I have an old MBK Triathlon which I was planning on refurbishing as soon as I have a job and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is this true? I ask because I have an old MBK Triathlon which I was planning on refurbishing as soon as I have a job and money.

There are stories of biopace causing knee pain, but Sheldon says the opposite is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

some hybrids would take the weight off your wrist as you sit up more. Other hybrids are much the same as a racing bike. Likewise the Specialized's Secteur has a more comfortable position which might also help with the wrist.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/secteur-comp-10-35380

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For what it's worth my girlfriend has BioPace on her tourer and it has not knackered her knees. She is fond of it and is worried about what to do if she has to change her chainrings due to wear. Many fit issues with bikes are very personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

Thanks for the replies. I had a look for more info on the Biopace and there isn't enough evidence of problems to warrant changing it.

Re changing the wheels; clearance at the bottom bracket looks a bit tight....but if the wider wheels work I think I'll also need to shorten the stem and get a new saddle which will increase the cost and could result in a dog's dinner of a bike. Maybe a new or second hand bike would be better.

Anyway I'm going to take it to the bike to a shop today and see what size wheel/tyre it can take and have a look at other bikes to see what might suit me.

Is there a market for 20yr old road bikes or frames?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

I had a go on a Specialized Sirrus (base model) and it felt good - upright position but still pretty fast. What's the general view on the Sirrus?

Advertisement