Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSD or F3 RAID 0's

• 04-08-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

so i want to get a little more out of my PC's response time and booting of W7 and a few programs.

i currently have a samsung F3 500gb, and i was wondering if i'd be better off buying another F3 and RAID 0 the guys or buy This SSD which seems a good price.

according to HD tune, my HDD is performing pretty well compared to the SSD, but the SSD's access time should be much lower?

would RAID 0 give me much more of a performance increase?

clipboard01qp.jpg

ha just tested yesteryears F1 160gb that i have in here for backup, and look at the difference. i think is HDD is on its way out is it?

clipboard04v.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63665557&postcount=1

If its performance for 2 F3s in raid the above link should be helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ssd's have zero seek time, no mechanical drive even comes close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Lu Tze wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63665557&postcount=1

If its performance for 2 F3s in raid the above link should be helpful

Should be noted I did short stroke those drives

Deano12345 wrote: »

You are like an academic, these are the results, but the constraints and limitations of the test scenario are... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what size are they now after the short stroke?

EDIT: sorry just seen that they are 214gb.

thats really good performance, but taking away over 75% of the HDD's capacity isnt really winning very much. still bigger and cheaper than an SSD though.

how much of a difference is 10-15ms access time vs 0.1ms SSD?

anyone with both care to share?

• Advertisement

SSD's are instant, everything happens straight away.

There will always be a delay in a mechanical drive.

Although a full sized RAID (1TB for me) will still do very good read write speads

SSD's are instant, everything happens straight away.

There will always be a delay in a mechanical drive.

I went from a normal hard drive to a raptor, and it made a bit of a difference, not life changing or anything though! Went from a 10ms access time to 8, and windows started quicker, programs launcded quicker etc. but only maybe about 10% quicker, nothing like the benefit an SSD would give.

For the price of that SSD if you could afford it would give more benefit for general usage. Presume the read and writes speeds (with the F3s in raid) would only prove useful when copying/writing large files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

SSD seems to be the way to go, but they really are expensive compared to HDD's.

how much would you be looking to spend on a (good) raid controller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Tea_Bag wrote: »

how much of a difference is 10-15ms access time vs 0.1ms SSD?

anyone with both care to share?

I have both and the difference is huge, Arma2 loads less than half the time. Opening files is instant, whereas on a mechanical drive 10ms is a long time, and this is only when the disk has already spun to full speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm using a 60GB SSD on Windows 7. Boot is fast and almost silent, and there's almost no delay while programs load after login.

Honestly, no mechanical HD comes close to these things, they completely change the way your PC behaves.

Downside is, they're small, expensive and you'll have to reformat.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    SSD seems to be the way to go, but they really are expensive compared to HDD's.

how much would you be looking to spend on a (good) raid controller?

To be honest, any recent Intel controller will be able to handle most HDD RAID arrays (up to about 400mb/s)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Yes the SSD is the way to go, but you don't need to reformat unless you want to make life hard for yourself.

The main thing with SSDs is that you get the right partition alignment otherwise they can stutter to a crawl.

Luckily for you when you create a new partition with Windows 7 it uses a 1Meg boundary by default, so as long as you create the partition before copy the existing one from the hard drive. Of course you will need to resize the partition so it's small enough to fit on the SSD.

Probably giving you too much info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's called Raid 0 because that's the exact number of files you can recover if either drive fails. :p

If you want drives to run faster just set up a partition to use the first 1/3rd of the drive, this will double data transfer rate and halve the seek time - if you are considering SSD then loosing lots of HDD space ain't an issue,

Advertisement