Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuweather Web Site

Options
  • 04-08-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the accuracy percentage of the predictions of these types of weather sites.

I have been tracking several dates spread throughout the last 2 months where at 15-10 days they predict fine and 0 rain. Then 6-10 days it gets cloudy, 3-4 days possible rain, 1-2 days little rain than the last and finally on the day it shows a deluge.....

What a joke.

Its like this all the time...

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Not very good really. If you are looking at their forecast for your exact area, all you are seeing is the output from a global computer model of the weather for the entire planet that they then pull the data for your location from. There is no human input, no forecaster adjusting it.

Same goes for most of those websites where you type in your location to get a forecast. You'd be better off reading the Met Eireann outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

pretty much. when the cold snap was happening it was predicting snow nearly every in cork, i gave up on it, when eventually snow did come :p and it was the day they said there would be no snow :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Accuweather used to be very accurate.

I remember when they were promoting their site a few years ago their weather was uncannily accurate. After a period they then offered a 'professional' weather service and subscriptions.

I did not take a subscription but have noted that their 'free' weather can be hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnnyfardel

I use a combination of Accuweather and the Met Eireann
    rainfall radar animation to predict the weather for the rest
    of the day. But that's the best you can hope to get out of
    Accuweather.

The long term forecasts on Accuweather are pants,
    although I pray to god they have somehow managed to get
    August's predictions correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I usually look at www.wetterzentrale.de charts, though I have to say I think apart from this weekend the rest of August will be pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

pauldry wrote: »
    I usually look at www.wetterzentrale.de charts, though I have to say I think apart from this weekend the rest of August will be pants.
    The clue for my area is in the site name 'wetter' - I don't need to log on :( Today was great. We had one good day in July and a massive 10 days or so in June. That's it - summer over!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

MT's http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971 is about the best for reasonably accurate weather forecasts for up to a week ahead.

Advertisement