Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Obedience Classes in Tipperary

Options
  • 04-08-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a Vet Nurse working in a practice in Tipperary, I'm currently trying to get a Dog trainer from Cork to run a course of classes here, but I have to suss out if there's demand first. The course would consist of four to six hour long sessions held once weekly, cost will be dependant on demand! Classes would cover basic obedience in a relaxed, friendly setting! Is there anyone here from Tipperary, and if so would this possibly appeal to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

What part of Tipp would it be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

North Tipp. needs classes for sure. The nearest one to me that I would use is an hour away would be great to have one near Thurles.
    There are one or two dotted around us but they don't all use humane methods of training so won't use them.

If it was October onwards (too much on before then) would deffo. go to classes if they were local enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

I'd be interested in this also - I have two dogs and have done a lot of work with them but have a few small "sticking" areas I'd like to get outside help on.

The problem is that nobody around seems to do it.

There is a guy in Nenagh who does it but he seems to mostly train gundogs so is not really right for me, and I have heard of an ex guard near Templemore but he doesn't seem to advertise etc.

It looks like Limerick is closest for me but the problem is that its an hour away and also I don't want to be travelling in the middle of the night etc for training!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

The classes would probably be held in Tipperary or Cashel town. The trainer says I'd need to ensure about sixteen people would attend (two classes of eight people) and there'd be 6 weekly hour-long classes, with a total cost of approx 90 euro for the six week course. I brought my collie to a group course in kilkenny :S the course was great but I was leaving work early every monday and driving an hour to get there!
    As I really didn't want to have to go through the same rushing about with my other dog, I brought her to a gun-dog trainer (just advertised as a dog trainer) just outside clonmel for one-to-one lessons but after an argument about his horrid forced dominance methods I promptly left with my poor confused pooch - that's why I figured there must be more demand for a friendly group based class as surely I'm not the only one who would prefer a local motivational trainer (who unlike the other "trainer" did not purposefully step on your dog to prove a point)!! As for the timing of the course, it'd depend on how quickly I could rally enough interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Poor dogs that get trained by that guy, have heard similar things about Tipp based trainers that's why I used Happier Hounds in Abbeyleix they only use humane methods of training.

Tipp/Cashel is around the same distance as HH for me so prob. wouldn't be any point in me switching next time I need to go but definetly think it could prove popular in Cashel/Tipperary and if you are ever doing anything in Thurles area I'd be interested.

You should post this on some more animals sites I know there are a few Tipp. based dog owners on irishanimals.ie and petsireland also try topdog.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 michaelgreen13

Hi could you please let me know if them dog training classes have come to tipperary would love to go i'm living in cashel

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hi could you please let me know if them dog training classes have come to tipperary would love to go i'm living in cashel

thanks

I'd like to know too.I am from Tipp town and I have a 3 year old and a 14 week old bichon who would really be glad of some proper training.:D

Advertisement