Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get broadband with Eircom is FRUSTRATING!

• 04-08-2010 4:51pm

First, they took 9 months longer than announced to enable my local exchange.

Second, once I get the line in the house turned on they tell us "yeah no problem, you're just over a mile from the exchange, you will get a good signal for broadband"

Now, I just spent the afternoon trying to set up BB on their site (line fails test).

Tried calling the number for BB, they cant help and send me to the line fault guys.

They cant help but send me to another branch who basically tell me tough, its not guarenteed

I mean seriously, what the hell. I'm barely a mile from the exchange.

I asked if they could come out and check the line to see what the fault is and get this "there is no process in place for doing that"

Excuse me while I go shout at the dog

Farking ridiculous, arghhhhh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Its possible that your line hasn't been tested for broadband yet and these tests are usually carried out once a month on all new lines.

Nobody knows when they are done so you'll need to wait awhile before applying for broadband again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

When did the exchange get enabled, or when did you activate the line? It can take up to a month before your line is tested, so if either of these happened in the last few days, or weeks, your line probably hasn't even been tested yet. You can't force them to test the line either, except in very unusual circumstances. You just have to wait, and keep checking the test page.

The exchange was enabled in June, I got the line the end of June

well after another day on the phone with Eircom trying to get this sorted I finally got some resolution.

I got on to the tech that installed the line in the house. He said he knew what the issue was as every house that has applied along my road has had the same problem and it will be sorted on Friday. Apparently its something to do with splitting and re-splitting of lines or something.

I'll post an update if it gets sorted.

Thank god I kept the tech's mobile no. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Happened to me late last year when I moved into my new house. There was no phone line so I rang Eircom and told them that I was looking to get broadband and could they tell me if my exchange was enabled. I wasnt too pushed in getting the phone for making calls as I had my mobile and I dont make that many calls anyway. However I realised I needed it for broadband

They told me it was and that I should be able to get 3MB broadband (ruralish area of Cavan) so I placed an order to get the line installed for broadband.

Got home about a week later and there was an engineer installing the line so I waited until the following day to ring Eircom to get them to enable the broadband. Got told that I could not get the broadband as they had piggy backed my line onto another one so it meant that I could only use the line for phone calls. I told them that I wanted to line for broadband and that if they couldnt provide that they were to remove the line.

I was told they couldnt to this. They informed me that the contract I signed was for them to provide a phone connection and that that is all they are required to provide. I was tempted (and still am) to ensure that the line 'accidentally' malfunctioned. I ended up switching to UTV for my phone calls and had to get 3G mobile broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Apparently its something to do with splitting and re-splitting of lines or something.

If there is a line splitter on your line, they more than likely won't remove it, ever. I wouldn't believe a word of that "It'll be fixed by Friday" stuff. Sounds like a line to fob you off with.
    gazzer wrote: »
    Got home about a week later and there was an engineer installing the line so I waited until the following day to ring Eircom to get them to enable the broadband. Got told that I could not get the broadband as they had piggy backed my line onto another one so it meant that I could only use the line for phone calls. I told them that I wanted to line for broadband and that if they couldnt provide that they were to remove the line.

If you ordered broadband at the same time as the line, then you would not be liable for the installation, or anything else, once it was found that broadband would not work. If you ordered the line, and then ordered broadband later, then you got the line you ordered and there's nothing you can do. eircom's USO doesn't require them to provide a line that does anything more than 28kbps data.

YES!

sorted!!

excuse me while I dance a jig on my 3.ie dongle

He sent a text today saying it was sorted and to try applying.

I've just tried on the Eircom site it says I can
    Tried UTV and some others. Its showing as available for BB now on all sites

Moral of the story, keep the Eircom tech's ph no

WOOT!

Now, do I go with Eircom for the first 12 months incase there are issues so as to avoid this convo
    Eircom - "The problem is with your ISP
    ISP - "The problem is with the line"

I'm torn but I'm leaning towards going with Eircom for the first 12 and switching after that

Any advice would be appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

First, they took 9 months longer than announced to enable my local exchange.

Second, once I get the line in the house turned on they tell us "yeah no problem, you're just over a mile from the exchange, you will get a good signal for broadband"

Now, I just spent the afternoon trying to set up BB on their site (line fails test).

Tried calling the number for BB, they cant help and send me to the line fault guys.

They cant help but send me to another branch who basically tell me tough, its not guarenteed

I mean seriously, what the hell. I'm barely a mile from the exchange.

I asked if they could come out and check the line to see what the fault is and get this "there is no process in place for doing that"

Excuse me while I go shout at the dog

Farking ridiculous, arghhhhh

Lol just wait until you try to cancel your service..... Takes months and months and months......

Advertisement