Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

hmmm well it could be good or could be bad, to tell her she's really hot but you've no chemistry. if she's used to hearing it she won't be happy. i mean if she finds it hard to find someone to like her for her personality that is. so maybe leave out the 'you're hot' part.

I'd also leave out the hot part. I'm sure she knows it. Emphasizing her attractiveness while saying you don't gel with her could easily be interpreted as you calling her a bimbo. Not a pleasant experience I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Im sure we will be only too happy to give you some feedback on said titty pics Larianne.

>.>

<.<

>.>
    :pac:

Ah-tah

25786FB4355D3F6344D4E6_Large.jpg

Discodog wrote: »
    But who says that the guys aren't doing it as well. It is a very easy & kind of logical way to see if someone is consistent & genuine.

^^This.
    Sounds like a god way to spot fakers who change interests/personality traits to suit who they are chatting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

But who says that the guys aren't doing it as well. It is a very easy & kind of logical way to see if someone is consistent & genuine.

True but I take everyone on that site as face value. If I didn't I'd be wasting a whole lot of time doing that shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Larianne wrote: »
    Jaysis, hope that's not me! :cool: Also on 2nd date tonight. :pac:

Not unless you were with a dashing, bespectacled man in the vicinity of Lough Derg this evening.

Hope yours went well! Mine was good. I mean we'd a good chat and all, but not so much as an electron of chemistry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

this might sound picky but i would like an opinion of my profile off a younger person say under 24 if that is possible?

I have got help off other people (all older) but i think what younger people look for is different?

Im trying everything with pof at the moment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

According to a girl that I was chatting to, her & all her friends have several profiles each on some free sites like POF. So you could easily get several mails from the same person using different names.

When I asked why they did this I was told that it is a good way of sussing people out. For example if they suspect that he might be a player then they send him a suggestive mail offering a hint of no strings & see if he swallows the bait.

Apparently it is also common for girls to get their mate to mail a guy that they are interested in as it is easy to ask questions & to often get different answers.

All very sneaky but not a bad idea.

Like the others, I don't understand the mentality behind this approach at all. What would they be trying to proove? From the get go, this very "tactic" tells me it would be difficult to trust them as much as they seem to have trust issues with people they approach or are approached by.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm trying to write someone a message, I'm trying to sound as genuine as possible, Is it acceptable to like mention that I think they're cute(as well as they sound interesting and all that) or will I just come off sounding like a sleazeball? Depends on the girl I suppose?

I'm quite awful at the aul sending people messages things so I tend to waffle until my fingers can type no longer.

It starts off grand with the odd few questions but then I ramble on and on and on.

Pretty sure I spent a good two paragraphs talking about how to make the perfect enchiladas. :pac:

:cool:

amandaf675 wrote: »
    this might sound picky but i would like an opinion of my profile off a younger person say under 24 if that is possible?

I have got help off other people (all older) but i think what younger people look for is different?

Im trying everything with pof at the moment

I'm 22. I'll take a look for you if you'd like.

• Advertisement

Tremelo wrote: »
    Not unless you were with a dashing, bespectacled man in the vicinity of Lough Derg this evening.

Hope yours went well! Mine was good. I mean we'd a good chat and all, but not so much as an electron of chemistry :(

He was bespectacled! :D But not in Lough Derg (Sounds lovely!).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm trying to write someone a message, I'm trying to sound as genuine as possible, Is it acceptable to like mention that I think they're cute(as well as they sound interesting and all that) or will I just come off sounding like a sleazeball? Depends on the girl I suppose?

Is this the first message? No, don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

If a guy messaged me with a cute comment and a profile comment, then I'd consider that good. if you were to just say something about her physically, depending on what she's looking for, she might be put off. really depends on the girl though, and the way you phrase it.

just read lariannes post there, funny we gave different answers... but obviously it does depend :)

I'd see no harm in it. After all you only know them by their picture and it's probably a good place to start but I wouldn't dwell on it for too long.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm quite awful at the aul sending people messages things so I tend to waffle until my fingers can type no longer.

It starts off grand with the odd few questions but then I ramble on and on and on.

Pretty sure I spent a good two paragraphs talking about how to make the perfect enchiladas. :pac:

:cool:

Ooh tell me!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Like the others, I don't understand the mentality behind this approach at all. What would they be trying to proove? From the get go, this very "tactic" tells me it would be difficult to trust them as much as they seem to have trust issues with people they approach or are approached by.

A lot of people on dating sites will have trust issues because they will of been let down by the thousands of people who do misrepresent themselves.

There is definitely a market for a new type of site where users are verified & manners are obligatory.

Ooh tell me!!! :pac:

I stole it from a website but:

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
    1 4-oz. can diced green chiles
    1 cup purchased green chile salsa
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    4 teaspoons ground cumin

salt and black pepper
    12 to 15 7-inch flour tortillas
    10 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/2 cup chicken broth

Garnish:
    chopped avocado
    chopped tomato
    chopped fresh cilantro

Place chicken in pan of boiling water to cover, and simmer 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, cool, and shred chicken. In skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion and bell peppers until just soft, 5-8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Add chicken, cheddar cheese, green chiles, salsa, cilantro, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.

Note: you can do this much a day ahead and store in the fridge. It's pretty tasty just as is without the rest of the recipe, but since you're making a special dinner, read on.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 10x15x2-inch baking pan or 2 smaller pans. Place 1 flour tortilla on flat surface and place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture along 1 edge. Roll up from filling side, and place, seam side down, in prepared pan. Repeat process with remaining chicken mixture. Sprinkle Monterey Jack over enchiladas.

Combine cream and chicken broth and pour over enchiladas. Cover pan with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish individual servings with avocado, tomato and cilantro, if desired.

Honestly. If I sent you a synopsis of this would you message me back? :pac:

Honestly. If I sent you a synopsis of this would you message me back? :pac:

Only if you said you were gonna make it for me!!! :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,235 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this the first message? No, don't do it.
    If a guy messaged me with a cute comment and a profile comment, then I'd consider that good. if you were to just say something about her physically, depending on what she's looking for, she might be put off. really depends on the girl though, and the way you phrase it.

just read lariannes post there, funny we gave different answers... but obviously it does depend :)
    I'd see no harm in it. After all you only know them by their picture and it's probably a good place to start but I wouldn't dwell on it for too long.

Haha, thanks guys, I'm a little more confused now! It is the first message though so maybe not saying it is the safer option. I guess the fact I'm messaging her at all suggests I find her attractive anyway.......

Another question, I noticed my about me section on PoF seems to be longer than everyone elses, this probably means I waffled way too much eh? But most people only seem to have a couple of lines written.

A lot of people on dating sites will have trust issues because they will of been let down by the thousands of people who do misrepresent themselves.

All you need to do is glance through this thread for dozens of examples of people misrepresenting themselves. Since there's only a very small few of us here, our combined experience is limited. One can only imagine how many spoofers there are on a massive site like POF.

Another question, I noticed my about me section on PoF seems to be longer than everyone elses, this probably means I waffled way too much eh? But most people only seem to have a couple of lines written.

How long is long??? I think there is a happy medium. I've only come across one profile that was uber long. I read it and then thought "he's hard work.." and moved on.. :pac:

If you want an opinion on it I''ll check it for ya.

• Advertisement

Leave it long IMO. Nothing more annoying than a profile like this:

About me

I nvr no wat 2 say on dis. If u wnt 2no ntn msg me! xoxoxox

Galvasean wrote: »
    All you need to do is glance through this thread for dozens of examples of people misrepresenting themselves. Since there's only a very small few of us here, our combined experience is limited. One can only imagine how many spoofers there are on a massive site like POF.

That's why we need Boards Dating. I am amazed that Boards have not latched onto a huge opportunity.

That's why we need Boards Dating. I am amazed that Boards have not latched onto a huge opportunity.

Like I said before, we'll have no-where to bitch about it! :pac:

How long is long??? I think there is a happy medium. I've only come across one profile that was uber long. I read it and then thought "he's hard work.." and moved on.. :pac:

If you want an opinion on it I''ll check it for ya.

haha! that could have been me!

Thanks I'll PM you my username.

The idea was seriously looked into at one point IIRC. The idea was to have a sort of online dating forum on boards.ie, but it never went ahead, probably due to the extra problems from an admin POV that would come with a dating site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I never ever comment on their appearance in a mail. There's no need to. If you're messaging them, it means you like them, so they already know you're interested. Also, there's no need to resort to flattery or compliments about the physical too soon. It can set a flirting precedent with that girl, and it can make it look like you, as the guy, are the one that is trying to please her.

Personally, I like to turn the process around if I can, and tell her not to take too long to get back to me, lest I be snapped up by the competition (obviously it's all said in a light-hearted tone that doesn't come across as arrogant - you have to phrase these things properly). Having said that, if I think someone has a great profile, I will say that, but I'll focus on what they wrote, not on their photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Only if you said you were gonna make it for me!!! :)

I said to a few girls about a salsa night on it and they replied!

Lads...we may have found the magic online dating bullet: Mexican food!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So the actions taken by your friends are not missrepresentative of themselves?

:confused:

Taking your friends approach as an example. Forget about online dating for a second and imagine that they were just sizing someone up in any normal social setting, are they going to send flanks of women across to some guy they fancied, just to be sure of his intentions? If not, why are they doing this online?

If I was to be bombarded in the same manner, for the same reason as your friends do, I would not have any interest in the person I was initially contacting.

Using a dating site is only a stigma if you attach one to it. You are going to come across wasters online more frequently purely because they are easier to avoid "In Real Life" as you can spot them by their body language when you see them around.
    There is definitely a market for a new type of site where users are verified & manners are obligatory.

I'm sure there are possibly plenty out there, if you are willing to pay for them, but at the end of the day it's all due to the userbase.

It can set a flirting precedent with that girl, and it can make it look like you, as the guy, are the one that is trying to please her.

What's wrong with trying to please her :confused:. Sounds like a very good precedent to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I never ever comment on their appearance in a mail. There's no need to. If you're messaging them, it means you like them, so they already know you're interested. Also, there's no need to resort to flattery or compliments about the physical too soon. It can set a flirting precedent with that girl, and it can make it look like you, as the guy, are the one that is trying to please her.

hmm, interesting way of looking at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement