Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah its a flawed system. The 'looking for a relationship' option implies that you want to be boyfriend/girlfriend from the word go. Whereas 'nothing serious' implies that you have no intention of progressing beyond 'a bit of fun'.

Ya see I would see the looking for a relationship to mean more like that is your ultimate intention and you don't want to be fapping about for years on end just going on random dates with no direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Met someone tonight (tried this malark)
    Her photos didn't do her justice, very good looking. But dull...

How to proceed, do the right thing or the bad thing. Maybe the bad thing is the right thing. Maybe the right thing is the bad thing.

Whats right or wrong these days anyway

hmmmm

if your looking for someone meet up with on nights out, or someone do stuff with during day. if the latter then dullness would mean no thanks for me

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Right could someone please explain what the phrase "wants to date, but nothing serious" means?

I've been browsing profiles for the last hour and every single bloke has this intention.

That's what I have on my profile... and I take it to mean this:
    "Relax I'm not looking for a husband/wife".

..go with the flow kinda thing.

I wouldn't take it to mean intimate encounters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Mean to who? That I feel freakishly tall at times is my insecurity. I'm not slighting his appearance, rather my own.

Not purposely mean to the guy, but it does inadvertently remind him that he's vertically challenged and it could possibly drag his confidence down a wee bit. It depends on the guy of course. I'm not tall at all (only 5'7") and I generally avoid women taller than me for the same reason you avoid guys shorter than you. That said, the most attractive girl I ever went out with was taller than me, but that was an aberration in my relationship history (and a particularly good albeit ultimately devastating one :o).

Larianne wrote: »
    That's what I have on my profile... and I take it to mean this:

..go with the flow kinda thing.

I wouldn't take it to mean intimate encounters.

Interesting. I have interpreted it as being "this person does not want a relationship, just some fun dates", so I usually skip over those profiles. I have a theory that a lot of people choose this option rather than "looking for a relationship" because they feel they might come across as needy or what have you if they were to put that down instead.

• Advertisement

Tremelo wrote: »
    Interesting. I have interpreted it as being "this person does not want a relationship, just some fun dates", so I usually skip over those profiles. I have a theory that a lot of people choose this option rather than "looking for a relationship" because they feel they might come across as needy or what have you if they were to put that down instead.

Yeah but fun dates can lead to something, no?

Missing out there Tremo!

Missing out there Tremo!

I think that is the problem...we all have different interpretations of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Interesting. I have interpreted it as being "this person does not want a relationship, just some fun dates"

yeah me too. anything like 'short term dating only' or 'nothing serious' would imply that they kinda just want to mess around, which I don't get. I mean what is the purpose of dating if not to at some point lead to a relationship of a sort. :confused:

Missing out there Tremo!

I would have thought so too, but the "but nothing serious" bit would say to me they only want fun. I probably am missing out. Will have to reappraise :)

I got a text this morning from the date girl from yesterday. I thought it would have been obvious to her too that there was no spark between us, but nope, she actually thought the date went really well. Had to explain to her. Feel like a pr.ick now. I've been on the receiving end of such news plenty of times and it's never nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

yeah me too. anything like 'short term dating only' or 'nothing serious' would imply that they kinda just want to mess around, which I don't get. I mean what is the purpose of dating if not to at some point lead to a relationship of a sort. :confused:

No, the purpose is to buy as many people as possible cups of coffee. Then your coffee karma will go up and some day someone will buy you a cup of coffee.

• Advertisement

No, the purpose is to buy as many people as possible cups of coffee. Then your coffee karma will go up and some day someone will buy you a cup of coffee.

but what happens if all these dates are "dutch"?

I think that is the problem...we all have different interpretations of that.

True!

Although I think I explain what I want out of the dates in my profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

A guy I know met his current wife through online dating. He also met his previous wife online. But he met his first wife in a traditional face to face encounter. And yes, this is wife number 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

deman wrote: »
    A guy I know met his current wife through online dating. He also met his previous wife online. But he met his first wife in a traditional face to face encounter. And yes, this is wife number 3.

I don't know what's worse , him paying for 3 weddings or guests coughing up for gifts again and again and again....

I would have thought so too, but the "but nothing serious" bit would say to me they only want fun. I probably am missing out. Will have to reappraise :)

I got a text this morning from the date girl from yesterday. I thought it would have been obvious to her too that there was no spark between us, but nope, she actually thought the date went really well. Had to explain to her. Feel like a pr.ick now. I've been on the receiving end of such news plenty of times and it's never nice.

oh no. was she ok? did she get it?

what? :confused:

oh no. was she ok? did she get it?

She seemed very understanding about it. It was amicable thankfully. I'm getting sick of it now I must admit. It's hard to find someone, isn't it!

She seemed very understanding about it. It was amicable thankfully. I'm getting sick of it now I must admit. It's hard to find someone, isn't it!

I don't think it is the finding, moreso it all working out for you!

yep it is. just realised the other day, I'm single a year now. eeeek.

but it's good that she wasn't too upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

yep it is. just realised the other day, I'm single a year now. eeeek.

September 2009...closing in on my 2 year alone-aversay :(

Until this thread, I never would have thought people interpreted the "nothing serious" line as different to my version of it. I always assumed it just meant that you were open to whatever happens, but were not going in expecting to find "The One".

I don't think it is the finding, moreso it all working out for you!

Yup. Getting dates is the easy part. Then you have to like them, they have to like you, and the timing has to be right. That's a trinity of pre-requisites that seldom gel. I really liked that girl I was dating for a month in late April/May before she jilted me. That was as close as I've come to a relationship in just over a year, though I suppose I've only started looking again in the past two months in fairness. But it's not easy, and I suppose when you get into a relationship there are always new problems to deal with. I've a friend at the moment who has been with her boyfriend for two years and he is starting to pull back now, to her dismay.

• Advertisement

September 2009...closing in on my 2 year alone-aversay :(

Until this thread, I never would have thought people interpreted the "nothing serious" line as different to my version of it. I always assumed it just meant that you were open to whatever happens, but were not going in expecting to find "The One".

yeah but nothing serious means nothing serious surely? I'm open to whatever happens, maybe i should put that down...

Yup. Getting dates is the easy part. Then you have to like them, they have to like you, and the timing has to be right. That's a trinity of pre-requisites that seldom gel. I really liked that girl I was dating for a month in late April/May before she jilted me. That was as close as I've come to a relationship in just over a year, though I suppose I've only started looking again in the past two months in fairness. But it's not easy, and I suppose when you get into a relationship there are always new problems to deal with. I've a friend at the moment who has been with her boyfriend for two years and he is starting to pull back now, to her dismay.

Yup, it's tough - but when it works by god is it great!
    I was dating a guy for a while and he decided that he didn't want it to go any further either and I was gutted about it - I was also seriously perplexed by the reason he gave!

yeah but nothing serious means nothing serious surely? I'm open to whatever happens, maybe i should put that down...

I think you should always approach relationships with the nothing serious attitude but still remain open to something happening. Though give what I just said about approaching 2 years on the sideline, maybe I'm not the person to talk about this :pac:

But this confusion shows the role semantics plays in online dating. How you view your profile, is not how other people view it. Your interpretation of everything could be completely different to somebody else's.

I think you should always approach relationships with the nothing serious attitude but still remain open to something happening. Though give what I just said about approaching 2 years on the sideline, maybe I'm not the person to talk about this :pac:

But this confusion shows the role semantics plays in online dating. How you view your profile, is not how other people view it. Your interpretation of everything could be completely different to somebody else's.

This is why it is always good to get someone else's opinion on it.

See I am open to whatever, tbh I'm still not even sure I want a bf. I don't approach any thing like diving head first in, I think that the options on these sites are just unclear, or a matter of interpretation.

This is why it is always good to get someone else's opinion on it.

Very true. If/when I get back into it, I'll get a second opinion. Definitely helps with details you overlook and helps eliminate things I may think are cute, but actually make me sound like a nutter :pac:

Very true. If/when I get back into it, I'll get a second opinion. Definitely helps with details you overlook and helps eliminate things I may think are cute, but actually make me sound like a nutter :pac:

Yeah, delete the non-liking of sponge cake varieties.

Yeah, delete the non-liking of sponge cake varieties.

Never :pac:

I should challenge a girl on the dating sites to bake me a sponge cake that I like. If that woman exists, she must be my wife :P

Never :pac:

I should challenge a girl on the dating sites to bake me a sponge cake that I like. If that woman exists, she must be my wife :P

You know, I think if you wrote "I hate sponge cake" on your profile you would get a lot of inquisitive mails about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

First off can I just say a thanks to the girls here who offered advice on how to improve my profile. Much appriciated! Going to try and update it now.

Secondly I have a few questions about PoF. When you are talking with someone do you always just send normal mails or is there at stage where ye would move on to Instant Messaging any time both of ye are online? How long would you wait before asking a girl out? And finially would you normally kiss them on a first date?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement