Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Wont find me either Im afraid. I did get some mail yesterday but they were from trolls and I would never assume that you were one of those! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Misticles wrote: »
    hhm unfortunately I am was one of the girls you guys hate... a non responder! If I didnt like the look of the message/profile/person I would just leave it sit there! :o

DON'T SHOOT!

Now ya see, i won't shoot, cos that'd be mean and stuff, but a simple "Thank you for the mail, however you are about as interesting as watching a bag of spanners sitting on the floor" comment is much nicer than no response.

At least that's the way i think about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

gatecrash wrote: »
    Now ya see, i won't shoot, cos that'd be mean and stuff, but a simple "Thank you for the mail, however you are about as interesting as watching a bag of spanners sitting on the floor" comment is much nicer than no response.

I wouldn't see it that way at all, though I wil admit not getting a response can be a bit miffing!

I don't like rejecting people so I just don't reply and hope they understand that I'm not interested. :o

I wouldn't see it that way at all, though I wil admit not getting a response can be a bit miffing!

I don't like rejecting people so I just don't reply and hope they understand that I'm not interested. :o

It's not rejecting people, it's letting them know you are not interested.

It's the same as some bloke chatting to you in a bar, do you ignore him or make polite small talk, mentioning your boyfriend every 30 seconds?

I just have a thing about not replying to mails, and always reply to messages i receive on AF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Wait, what? Are you serious? That'd be a horrid thing to say to anyone.

• Advertisement

It's not rejecting people, it's letting them know you are not interested.

It's the same as some bloke chatting to you in a bar, do you ignore him or make polite small talk, mentioning your boyfriend every 30 seconds?

I just have a thing about not replying to mails, and always reply to messages i receive on AF.

I would make small talk and take the drink he just bought me ;) ha!

I wouldnt feel the need to mention my boyfriend every 10 seconds at all!
    In fairness, its a lot easier to ignore someone on the schminternetz than when they are standing right beside you!

Wait, what? Are you serious? That'd be a horrid thing to say to anyone.

The bag of spanners sitting on the floor thing was being facetious.

But i'm being serious with a preference for SOME sort of response, even if it is a simple, Thanks for the interest, but no thanks for anything more.

Like i said, i just have a thing about at least acknowledging that someone took the time to read a profile, decide they liked it and then crafting up a mail to that person.

I would make small talk and take the drink he just bought me ;) ha!

I wouldnt feel the need to mention my boyfriend every 10 seconds at all!
    In fairness, its a lot easier to ignore someone on the schminternetz than when they are standing right beside you!

Again, i wasn't being totally serious, but the analogy holds true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Galvasean wrote: »
    Methinks Galvasean spoke too soon... CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

Nooooooooooooooooo! You were the best of us! Nooooooo! :(:p

Again, i wasn't being totally serious, but the analogy holds true.

All I can say is each to their own!

But I got a lot of people (not being big headed) mailing me and out of lets say 20 mails, I would be interested in 1 or 2! If that! I'm uber picky!
    So i'm supposed to go out to the other 18/19 and say sorry I'm not interested! Even to the ones with "Hi, How are you?"

Me thinks not!

• Advertisement

All I can say is each to their own!

But I got a lot of people (not being big headed) mailing me and out of lets say 20 mails, I would be interested in 1 or 2! If that! I'm uber picky!
    So i'm supposed to go out to the other 18/19 and say sorry I'm not interested! Even to the ones with "Hi, How are you?"

Me thinks not!

"Hi, How are you, nice smile." 's are useless.

I meant the ones where someone has read your profile and sent you a mail referencing something you mention in your profile. The ones where someone has actually taken a bit of time to personalise a mail to you, and it's not a copy and paste job.

But then again, I so many different kinds of DON'T get 20 mails a day!! :)
    (having said that, i've only reactivated the account after 6 years of dormancy, so now that I'm using it again, it might attract a bit more interest!!)

I meant the ones where someone has read your profile and sent you a mail referencing something you mention in your profile. The ones where someone has actually taken a bit of time to personalise a mail to you, and it's not a copy and paste job.

(having said that, i've only reactivated the account after 6 years of dormancy, so now that I'm using it again, it might attract a bit more interest!!)

I do get a lot of those nice smile ones :P

Tbh I don't like big long drawn out mails. I like quippy ones that show humour and wit.

I never read long mails. I think 5 lines is enough as the conversation can then get broader depending on the mutual interests between the 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe you might need this (I've fixed it btw)

No, the only thing I need is a nice break from the alleged fairer sex.
    Fewcifur wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooooo! You were the best of us! Nooooooo! :(:p

And now I am dead :/

Things not go as you had hoped with the ex>?

I do get a lot of those nice smile ones :P

Tbh I don't like big long drawn out mails. I like quippy ones that show humour and wit.

I never read long mails. I think 5 lines is enough as the conversation can then get broader depending on the mutual interests between the 2 people.

I thought your profile was hidden?? ;)

Just about every single one of the mails i sent out last night was a 4 or 5 liner, with a little bit of humour.

Writing an essay when all you want to do is feel the other person out as to whether or not they might be interested is as big a waste of time as the copy and pasters..

I thought your profile was hidden?? ;)

Just about every single one of the mails i sent out last night was a 4 or 5 liner, with a little bit of humour.

Writing an essay when all you want to do is feel the other person out as to whether or not they might be interested is as big a waste of time as the copy and pasters..

My profile is hidden, when I speak in present tense I mean past tense, just habit :P

When I get essays I assume they are copy and paste jobs and hence no replying to them!

Felt like that myself on Tuesday/yesterday.
    And here i am today arguing with Misty about response etiquette.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and don't let them get ya down, all i can offer lad.

Felt like that myself on Tuesday/yesterday.
    And here i am today arguing with Misty about response etiquette.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and don't let them get ya down, all i can offer lad.

Misty loves a good argument :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

aaawww Galva chin up pal :) Take a break and recoup and then come back fighting in a few weeks/months.

Misticles wrote:
    Misty loves a good argument

Speaking of.....
    My profile is hidden, when I speak in present tense I mean past tense, just habit :P

When I get essays I assume they are copy and paste jobs and hence no replying to them!

Back to it!!

Ok, answer me this, someone sends you a mail and you read it.

It makes reference to something in your profile, and shows that the person has not done a copy and paste.

Would you reply? Even if it is just to say thanks but no thanks

• Advertisement

Speaking of.....

Back to it!!

Ok, answer me this, someone sends you a mail and you read it.

It makes reference to something in your profile, and shows that the person has not done a copy and paste.

Would you reply? Even if it is just to say thanks but no thanks

It could still be an altered copy and paste. ie a generic template they have stashed away and just alter a few details upon sending!

Assuming it wasnt the above, I would look at his profile before reading it.
    If I like what I read/see then I will continue to read the mail, if not, I won't. I wont lie, I'm a boot! If they're not for me they're simply not for me. My answer will still be not replying if I'm not interested.

DON'T SHOOT :o

It could still be an altered copy and paste. ie a generic template they have stashed away and just alter a few details upon sending!

Assuming it wasnt the above, I would look at his profile before reading it.
    If I like what I read/see then I will continue to read the mail, if not, I won't. I wont lie, I'm a boot! If they're not for me they're simply not for me. My answer will still be not replying if I'm not interested.

DON'T SHOOT :o

----> Goes looking for his gun!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Surely you'd get tired/depressed reading rejection emails every day? I know I'd rather get nothing than an email saying they are not interested.

I still stick to my original thoughts on rejection emails: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71237659&postcount=410

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I love the people that have "must have a picture to contact this user" as one of their preferences without having a picture of their own.

Surely you'd get tired/depressed reading rejection emails every day? I know I'd rather get nothing than an email saying they are not interested.

I still stick to my original thoughts on rejection emails: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71237659&postcount=410

Why would you get depressed? You have invested all of 5 or 10 minutes in the other person. If you get depressed after having someone say thanks but no thanks after 10 minutes, then i'd hate to see how you'd be after a failed first date!! ;)

----> Goes looking for his gun!! ;)

/hides

Here here! :)

/hides

Here here! :)

I'm gonna need a bigger gun....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why would you get depressed? You have invested all of 5 or 10 minutes in the other person. If you get depressed after having someone say thanks but no thanks after 10 minutes, then i'd hate to see how you'd be after a failed first date!! ;)

I'm sure returning home from work to find 8 emails from girls on POF waiting for you would get a guy's hopes up. Reading them individually when they all say "thanks but no thanks" would be quite the self esteem blow. You'd probably feel worse than had they not replied at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

One email would be fine, I did once get one that was really nice & explained she was looking for something else. But if every girl I emailed replied like that and every evening I read 5-10 rejection emails, that would be a bit of a blow.

• Advertisement

I'm sure returning home from work to find 8 emails from girls on POF waiting for you would get a guy's hopes up. Reading them individually when they all say "thanks but no thanks" would be quite the self esteem blow. You'd probably feel worse than had they not replied at all.

I'd honestly prefer that to the total silence.

No offence to Misty, or anyone else who are non responders, but i'd regard the non response as a little bit ignorant, especially when i would craft each mail individually.
    The way i'd look at is they are saying I can do much better than that bloke, ewwwww who does he think he is even WRITING to me....

Don't get me wrong, i hear where you are coming from, but a bit of manners goes a long way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement