Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I defo prefer the wall of silence myself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

ok, feck the gun... i'm goin getting me a bomb!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

gatecrash wrote: »
    I'd honestly prefer that to the total silence.

No offence to Misty, or anyone else who are non responders, but i'd regard the non response as a little bit ignorant, especially when i would craft each mail individually.
    The way i'd look at is they are saying I can do much better than that bloke, ewwwww who does he think he is even WRITING to me....

Don't get me wrong, i hear where you are coming from, but a bit of manners goes a long way.

yes they probably do think that! But they're not saying it to your face!
    Can anyone here ever say that they never thought that? or admit that they thought that about 1 person ever..?

So you lets say hypothetically...

Above average in looks person get a mail off person who is below average in looks. Above average person has a type, lets say, tall dark handsome. So clearly above average will take one look and go NO they are not for me, he's not my type. (ie. I can and have got much fitter people and I will continue to do so)

It goes back to the "league" thing.

People thinking that others are out of their league or that they infact are out of someone elses.

You can be critcised for the way of thinking but at the end of the day, that person know what they want in the opposite sex and they wont "settle".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No offence to Misty, or anyone else who are non responders, but i'd regard the non response as a little bit ignorant, especially when i would craft each mail individually.
    The way i'd look at is they are saying I can do much better than that bloke, ewwwww who does he think he is even WRITING to me....

Don't get me wrong, i hear where you are coming from, but a bit of manners goes a long way.

I get where you're coming from. I do generally reply in a polite manner (except if its a one word 'hi' style email), but then again I'm not exactly swamped with emails either so its not much bother for me to take the time needed to let people down gently.
    I've seen how much mail some girls yet and TBH, I would not blame them for not replying to every guy they aren't interested in dating. If they did, they'd have no time to mail the guys they do like! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Messaged a girl about the pier in Dun Laoighre because she said it was her favourite place in Dublin. It's also mine too actually so thought I'd message her about it.

I then said, "I bet you don't love it as much as me though. I'd be willing to bet my subway card which entitles you to a free footlong"

She called me a perv.....

:pac:

• Advertisement

Misticles wrote: »
    yes they probably do think that! But they're not saying it to your face!
    Can anyone here ever say that they never thought that? or admit that they thought that about 1 person ever..?

So you lets say hypothetically...

Above average in looks person get a mail off person who is below average in looks. Above average person has a type, lets say, tall dark handsome. So clearly above average will take one look and go NO they are not for me, he's not my type. (ie. I can and have got much fitter people and I will continue to do so)

It goes back to the "league" thing.

People thinking that others are out of their league or that they infact are out of someone elses.

You can be critcised for the way of thinking but at the end of the day, that person know what they want in the opposite sex and they wont "settle".

Looks wise, i suppose i'd be on the upper side of average, i have certainly had good looking women on my arm more often than not. maybe i just punch above my weight with a winning personality that compensates for the lack of dark n handsome, cos i am tall!!

Still going getting a bomb though!! :)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Messaged a girl about the pier in Dun Laoighre because she said it was her favourite place in Dublin. It's also mine too actually so thought I'd message her about it.

I then said, "I bet you don't love it as much as me though. I'd be willing to bet my subway card which entitles you to a free footlong"

At least she replied!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That_Guy wrote: »

bwhaahahahaahaha!!!!!!!

You sir, have mad my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

At least she replied!! :D
    Galvasean wrote: »
    bwhaahahahaahaha!!!!!!!

You sir, have mad my day :)

I understand why she'd call me a perv. I wasn't even talking about my footlong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

When this was discussed earlier in the thread, some of the women were saying the sheer volume of mails they get would make it unfeasible to reply to all of the mails, lovingly hand-crafted, cut and paste, or one-liners.

I thought of the mail as the equivalent of saying "hello" to someone in a pub up to now, but lately I think it's more akin to eye contact - a quick glance at each other doesn't entitle either of you to a conversation, or even a verbal response. I get responses to some mails, not to others. I don't invest enough in the first mail, time or emotion, to build my hopes up, so if it goes unanswered, all the best to her, hope she's found what she's looking for, I'll live with the silence telling me I'm not it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Well we were all crafting emails individually. That is the problem, there are so many people going to that effort. If you had to respond to them all on top of writing emails to people you actually like, you'd spend most of your time writing rejection emails. Then as I say, I wouldn't find receiving several rejection emails very pleasant.

I get enough rejection emails from employers, I don't need another set :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭flatnn

Anyone notice there are always these "Pro" photos of pretty average looking girls where its always the same poses(one is upside down, the other lying on a sort of chair) what is the story with this? is some chancer making a mint telling these girls they will be models :p

Looks wise, i suppose i'd be on the upper side of average, i have certainly had good looking women on my arm more often than not. maybe i just punch above my weight with a winning personality that compensates for the lack of dark n handsome, cos i am tall!!

Still going getting a bomb though!! :)

How you doin' :cool:
    flatnn wrote: »
    Anyone notice there are always these "Pro" photos of pretty average looking girls where its always the same poses(one is upside down, the other lying on a sort of chair) what is the story with this? is some chancer making a mint telling these girls they will be models :p

HHmm I find blue steel works just fine for me! :D I tend to smile the same way in all of my photos but people always say I look different in them all though!

Do any of you girls go on to guys profile so they see you in their "Viewed" section and see if they guy approaches you or would the view follow by no message indicate no interest?

Sent this girl a message in the end & she Wb with a fairly decent sized message, no questions in it, but a good few of these ":)". She hadn't got much about interests or stuff on the page so it was tough enough writing a decent second message with no questions to answer! hasn't been online yet today so we'll see...

*omg why didn't she log straight on today to see if i msg'd her*

HHmm I find blue steel works just fine for me! :D I tend to smile the same way in all of my photos but people always say I look different in them all though!

Like these are actually photos taken by a photographer all in the same poses in the same studio! maybe it was on citydeal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

*Insert 'Sunset Beach' type name here* has been accepted by the 'Beautiful People' - snigger!

There is no way i'm paying a membership to one of these sites , i'll take my chances with POF.

How you doin' :cool:

get back you harlot, you're taken!! ;):P

Like these are actually photos taken by a photographer all in the same poses in the same studio! maybe it was on citydeal ;)

Ha possibly! I did those kind before but I would never put them on a dating site! I like normal photos where I smile like a cheshire cat :D
    get back you harlot, you're taken!! ;):P

tehe! still no mail from you, I am a dissappoint :( I do know you cant actually mail me - but still..... :P

*Insert 'Sunset Beach' type name here* has been accepted by the 'Beautiful People' - snigger!

There is no way i'm paying a membership to one of these sites , i'll take my chances with POF.

Beatiful People is free now isn't it? I remember not being able to check mail or anything on it for a while but seem to be able to now unless they're trying to rope me in with a free month. never anyone irish on it anyway

Annoying on Match.com that you can set up a profile but have to pay to use the features, have had a few mails and "winks" sitting there for months unread!

tehe! still no mail from you, I am a dissappoint :( I do know you cant actually mail me - but still..... :P

What you are saying is if i was REALLY interested I'd find a way!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

One major thing that really annoys me about some profiles is when they mention "Sure even just drop me a mail for a chat if you like! :)"

So you do, trying to get some sort of conversation going and guess what? They never reply! Wtf is up with that?!

What you are saying is if i was REALLY interested I'd find a way!! :pac:

Pretty much but it would be impossible!!! I think maybe 2 posters here have seen my profile so hence know the username ;)

Pyr0 wrote: »
    One major thing that really annoys me about some profiles is when they mention "Sure even just drop me a mail for a chat if you like! :)"

So you do, trying to get some sort of conversation going and guess what? They never reply! Wtf is up with that?!

They see your from the 'mun :P

It's a one sided statement, they will decide if the "chat" will take place based on the message/profile etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I think what's worse than the wall of silence (which is pretty bad, though I didn't realise people were getting swamped etc.) is the response and then the void of silence. It's like stopping mid conversation. I'm beginning to think my natural tendency to write an essay for every reply is baaaaad, even though I know if someone did the same to me I'd be delighted. I think my problem is I'm trying to do everything that I'd like, ah, if only I could online date myself :p

Pretty much but it would be impossible!!! I think maybe 2 posters here have seen my profile so hence know the username ;)

well feel free to have a snoop at mine so, i'll let you start the chat!! :D;):p

well feel free to have a snoop at mine so, i'll let you start the chat!! :D;):p

LINK! :cool:

if I don't inititate the chat don't be offended... it's cos I don't like you ;)

I kid I kid! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

sarcasm is your friend :)

Yeah what's up with that, we're only after a bit of chat like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I think what's worse than the wall of silence (which is pretty bad, though I didn't realise people were getting swamped etc.) is the response and then the void of silence. It's like stopping mid conversation. I'm beginning to think my natural tendency to write an essay for every reply is baaaaad, even though I know if someone did the same to me I'd be delighted. I think my problem is I'm trying to do everything that I'd like, ah, if only I could online date myself :p

That's the one that annoys me. A few emails back and forth, getting towards a meet-up and then no contact ever again!

• Advertisement

Yeah what's up with that, we're only after a bit of chat like...

if you're not a potential date, whats the point in talking to someone you have no interest in... it is a dating site... :o
    That's the one that annoys me. A few emails back and forth, getting towards a meet-up and then no contact ever again!

There is only so many messages that can go back and forth! When I was active on it, I would message for about a week then arrange a meet up - I would try not to let it linger on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement