Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

That's the one that annoys me. A few emails back and forth, getting towards a meet-up and then no contact ever again!

Especially when you can tell from the back and forths that ye have the same sense of humour etc.

It's one of the reasons that "last login" feature is a killer, because you see them logging in and a few days pass and you can't just assume "oh, they must be busy" but no, they're actually on PoF all the time, saddos. :P
    Though it has been the case before, one girl put me on a bit of a emotional rollercoaster ride where we got on so well in the first few messages, and then she stopped replying for a week, which sucked because we were into the same things and she was (to put it in Misticles terms) out of my league etc, so I was chuffed, but then it all fell apart, only for her to start messaging me again. I even asked her if my messages were too long and she said she liked my waffley essays of joy. But again she's not a great replier, yet often on the site. Meh, until you meet people I guess you can't take anything to heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Misticles wrote: »
    There is only so many messages that can go back and forth! When I was active on it, I would message for about a week then arrange a meet up - I would try not to let it linger on!

We're not talking about messages that linger on, we mean after 1 or 2 messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Oh god a week is the absolute most!!

To be honest if there's more than 2 days of 'site' contact before phone numbers or mail addresses are exchanged, then beat feet cos she is not interested, and just playing ego games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭flatnn

if you're not a potential date, whats the point in talking to someone you have no interest in... it is a dating site... :o

haha I meant that the lad who was irked by the girl who fancied a chat, but didnt wb, obviously must have fancied that girl, but it came across to me like he was annoyed not to get a chat off her :cool: they're obviously not gonna chat to everyone just cause they say they'd like a chat.

gatecrash wrote: »

To be honest if there's more than 2 days of 'site' contact before phone numbers or mail addresses are exchanged, then beat feet cos she is not interested, and just playing ego games

A bit harsh, no? Is that really any different to silly rules like the 3-date rule or "you must wait 3 days to text". Just play it by ear. Not everybody is the same. All we're talking about is somebody who seems eager and who then suddenly stops emailing. Even after only one or two messages which seemed to be about to move to the next level (i.e email swap etc).

• Advertisement

are you serious? ive yet to really have any solid contact on POF with a girl, but I've had girls try and pressure me for my phone number on OKC which I didn't like, told them I liked having their messages to look forward to on my laptop during work :cool:

I dunno there's some girls that are nice but i'd prob take the approach of messaging for a few days then maybe cheekily ask to see another pic as some girls only have one pic up so you can't be sure, don't wanna be in for a shock when you meet up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

flatnn wrote: »
    are you serious? ive yet to really have any solid contact on POF with a girl, but I've had girls try and pressure me for my phone number on OKC which I didn't like, told them I liked having their messages to look forward to on my laptop during work :cool:

I dunno there's some girls that are nice but i'd prob take the approach of messaging for a few days then maybe cheekily ask to see another pic as some girls only have one pic up so you can't be sure, don't wanna be in for a shock when you meet up

can you smell that cheese? :P

A bit harsh, no? Is that really any different to silly rules like the 3-date rule or "you must wait 3 days to text". Just play it by ear. Not everybody is the same. All we're talking about is somebody who seems eager and who then suddenly stops emailing. Even after only one or two messages which seemed to be about to move to the next level (i.e email swap etc).

personal experience.

Anyone who i've met in a date setting was always within a week of initial contact. Met others for non date sessions, kinda like boards beers.

Anyone i contacted through the site, by day 2 or 3, both of you know that you are either going to date or not, If you are going to date then swap numbers etc. If you are not gonna date, then it's up to you whether or not you stay in contact. Sometimes it's nice to keep in contact with people from the sites on a platonic level. I'm still in regular contact with almost every woman i met through a dating website when i was last on them about 6 years ago.

Wearing out the refresh button on "New Users" today :rolleyes:

There is actually a ridiculously hot girl in the office im working in today :eek: wonder is she on POF

There is actually a ridiculously hot girl in the office im working in today :eek: wonder is she on POF

if you were in IT you could find out :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Wow, heh, I've been playing it alllll wrong. Generally I just chat away like a demon and prolong the asking out bit. Though I've a great new way of determining whether they're up for things going further: Usually when chatting they'll ask about my novels and I'll tell them about them, then if they're interested I'll offer to let them read them. If they're forthcoming with an email then we're rockin', if they ignore it then they're probably just bored and looking for someone to chat to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You wonder if shes on pof , if shes right in front of you get over there and give it your best shot:D

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Wow, heh, I've been playing it alllll wrong. Generally I just chat away like a demon and prolong the asking out bit. Though I've a great new way of determining whether they're up for things going further: Usually when chatting they'll ask about my novels and I'll tell them about them, then if they're interested I'll offer to let them read them. If they're forthcoming with an email then we're rockin', if they ignore it then they're probably just bored and looking for someone to chat to.

But that is covered in my "play it by ear" line. Some people want to be asked out early, others don't. There's no hard and fast rule.

You wonder if shes on pof , if shes right in front of you get over there and give it your best shot:D

nah I'd have to check if she's look for "Dating, nothing serious" first :cool:
    also she might be a couple of years older than me....

POF > Real Life

it would be funny though if having passed her in the hall, she suddenly receives a message from me saying...

"Hi you popped up in my matches..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Seeing as alot of you are in Dublin and all these mails are getting sent out to folks all over the general Dublin area...(I'm assuming)....do you guys+girls ever happen to see the odd one you mailed in a pub or walking down the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Seeing as alot of you are in Dublin and all these mails are getting sent out to folks all over the general Dublin area...(I'm assuming)....do you guys+girls ever happen to see the odd one you mailed in a pub or walking down the street?

Nope. If I do happen to see them it's either because A), I hit it off with her or B) am still seeing her.

Neither have happened yet. I rarely use the site anyway.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I have....

strangely some of them also happened to be some boardsies at the last beers lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh it did happen to me once, was mailing and texting this girl for a while but I wasnt feeling it, so told her so didnt want to be leading her on, about two weeks later stanidng in all places Coppers :o turn to my left ther she about 3 feet away from me looking at me, was kinda awkward:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I have....

strangely some of them also happened to be some boardsies at the last beers lol!!

did you say some-thing profound :)?

• Advertisement

But that is covered in my "play it by ear" line. Some people want to be asked out early, others don't. There's no hard and fast rule.

there's no hard and fast rule, but generally you'll know yourself. No point in hanging in there, mailing someone if it's not going anywhere. If you want to waste time i have a wall that needs painting!! :)

Yep I saw one of them once in a queue to a pass machine. Exciting story :pac::P She definitely noticed who I was too, I spotted her giving me the corner of the eye look :P

there's no hard and fast rule, but generally you'll know yourself. No point in hanging in there, mailing someone if it's not going anywhere. If you want to waste time i have a wall that needs painting!! :)

Well I'm not talking about wasting time with emails that are going nowhere.

Well I'm not talking about wasting time with emails that are going nowhere.

Apols, picked you up wrong

I always see a guy I went on a date on cos he works in a well know games shop in a shopping centre! :P

Was looking up new girls starting this week on the work facebook thingy and i think one may have messaged me on pof last week, this was the girl with private images & attached one, who messaged me trying to get chat going and was going well then stopped messaging me, I sent her a message saying "too bad you seemed cool" :o

Hopefully she doesn't recognise me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I can't help thinking you might, just might, have lost perspective on the purpose and importance of 'net dating versus real life :)

I can't help thinking you might, just might, have lost perspective on the purpose and importance of 'net dating versus real life :)

heh heh heh

Was looking up new girls starting this week on the work facebook thingy and i think one may have messaged me on pof last week, this was the girl with private images & attached one, who messaged me trying to get chat going and was going well then stopped messaging me, I sent her a message saying "too bad you seemed cool" :o

Hopefully she doesn't recognise me :eek:

I was expecting skirts to be there :p

• Advertisement

I was expecting skirts to be there :p

Took me a while to get it. I laughed :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement