Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Question actually.

Do many of ye ladies make the first move and message guys or do you wait for the guy to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

How do you know when someone is a boardsie, is there a secret code?

If people put it into their interests you can go do the interests search thingy then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

That_Guy wrote: »
    Question actually.

Do many of ye ladies make the first move and message guys or do you wait for the guy to do it?

I often send mails to guys, most don't bother their hole replying though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

How do you know when someone is a boardsie, is there a secret code?

You can feel the nerd oozing from the profile picture.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    You can feel the nerd oozing from the profile picture.

12657296111596.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭flatnn

Think I saw your profile there Smurfy, I'm now going to write you a big message, and I don't make this kind of effort for Just any girl...

Question actually.

I would rarely send the first message to guys.
    Only if I the guys profile really stood out and I thought they were hot ;)
    Last guy I dated was from POF and I had messaged him first.. one of the very few I had messaged first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

It took me three days but i finally did it... Every single post read and let me tell you... Of all my years on the internetz I have never had the privilege to meet (this should read: read posts from or by) some of the most honest, genuine and helpful folks.

I laughed, I cried... I even think I fell in love.

you all deserve the sincerest of thank yous.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

I just joined POF on Sunday, second time I have been on it in the last couple of years. Surprised to have gotten a good few messages already, unfortunately not interested in any of the girls that have messaged me(yes I know I'm being a ****). Have messaged a good few girls and did the usual mak references to their profile, so far only 1 response!

I used to have a really creepy tag line for the lolz but decided to change it after a bit, y'know to "look mature" and all that.

Funnily enough, I've had loads of people view my profile since I changed it to me in a Halloween outfit, obscuring my horrible disfigured face of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Fair play, might add somethinglike that myself :D

What di ye make of these people who have had 7 year long relationships, baggage?

it wouldn't make me think that at all. tbh the profiles with a longest of 1 year kinda puts me off a little. i'd still contact him but would be curious about it.
    Question actually.

used to do it all the time. i'm so feckin picky I had to!
    101001 wrote: »
    I even think I fell in love.

was it me? It was me, wasn't it? go on, you can say it. :cool:

101001 wrote: »
    It took me three days but i finally did it... Every single post read and let me tell you... Of all my years on the internetz I have never had the privilege to meet (this should read: read posts from or by) some of the most honest, genuine and helpful folks.

I laughed, I cried... I even think I fell in love.

you all deserve the sincerest of thank yous.

Every post? Wow. I don't think I'd have that patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Don't worry, I tend to talk complete b*llocks when I'm bored in work and actin' the arse.

Yeah sure you're just a fuzzy teddy bear really! :pac:

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Yeah sure you're just a fuzzy teddy bear really! :pac:

*gasp* WHO TOLD YO..

I mean, thank you..

>_>

was it me? It was me, wasn't it? go on, you can say it. :cool:

You're definitely up there. But its the love that dare not speak its name ;)
    Every post? Wow. I don't think I'd have that patience.

Oh, so worth it. Its a bit frustrating when you want to chime in although it gets awesomely pantomimey shouting at the screen 'he's behhhhind you' 'thats not what he said'... but it always works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Speaking of every single post, I wonder how often the same points have been made? There is a thesis for somebody...start coding this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Speaking of every single post, I wonder how often the same points have been made? There is a thesis for somebody...start coding this thread!

back to the reply/don't reply then!! :D

gatecrash wrote: »
    back to the reply/don't reply then!! :D

Would be interesting though to track the trends throughout the thread. See what men say the most, see what women say the most (complain I imagine :pac:), track general grievances and happiness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Would be interesting though to track the trends throughout the thread. See what men say the most, see what women say the most (complain I imagine :pac:), track general grievances and happiness etc.

Well as the opinionated newbie to the thread i certainly can't be trusted to figure it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Well as the opinionated newbie to the thread i certainly can't be trusted to figure it out!!

general grievance seems to be: reponse method, lack of women in some areas, non responders :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Would you call yourself a gatecrasher? Oh yeah...:pac: From memory I'd say these are the main issues:

Men: Lack of responses, same girls always online, lack of options, all the girls are in Dublin, girls who say "dunno wot 2 say ere. just luv ta spend da wkend wiv me girlies lol"

Women: Too many emails, too many sexual emails, one liners, shirtless men, copy & paste emails, nice guys lost in the amount of emails.

But I just think threads like this would actually be useful to study properly. I'm letting my inner research nerd come out here!

Misticles wrote: »
    general grievance seems to be: reponse method, lack of women in some areas, non responders :rolleyes:

Oh thats the biggy alright. Followed closely by 'best method of ensnaring member of opposite sex in my profile web'. That is a good one though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

You know with there being so many of us boardsies on these dating sites I'm tempted to set up a facebook group for us to join, who knows how many couples will form :D

Wait...no...that's a crap idea right :o forget it :o

A couple developed from one of the meetups I organised and they recently had their first baby :o

So anyone willing to admit that they came across me while browsing POF or OKCUPID ?

kingtut wrote: »
    You know with there being so many of us boardsies on these dating sites I'm tempted to set up a facebook group for us to join, who knows how many couples will form :D

A couple developed from one of the meetups I organised and they recently had their first baby :o

So anyone willing to admit that they came across me while browsing POF or OKCUPID ?

I think we have all stumbled across a few :D
    I keep gettin matched with boardsies lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

smurfy89 wrote: »
    So... decided today to go back on POF after a while and already getting annoyed at some of the people on it :o

This one guy who sent me a message starts off by saying he never sends long messages but he wants to make an effort for me .... then followed by a big long message about himself.
    Now usually that would be nice, except for the fact that I have definitely gotten the exact same message at least twice before from this guy :rolleyes:

Why do some people think it's ok to send copy and paste messages and not bother making an effort? :confused: Annoying!

This makes me wonder about something... if somebody messages you more than once, is it just annoying? I don't mean message - no reply - message again... that's a bit desperate, but I mean if you message a girl, get no response, forget you messaged her and then came across her a few months later. Stupid sent mail doesn't save all your mails and it's hard to keep track, especially since I bookmark pages where I think the lady needs some more thought because she's especially interesting... but then I can't remember if I've actually messaged her. Damn. I bet that actually is irritating, even though they'd never be a copy&paste job. Gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I think we have all stumbled across a few :D
    I keep gettin matched with boardsies lol

I only saw one boardsie on it but that is because she sent me a private message and I recognised her....I know what a lot of boardsies look like just have not spotted any yet apart from the one I mentioned..

I only saw one boardsie on it but that is because she sent me a private message and I recognised her....I know what a lot of boardsies look like just have not spotted any yet apart from the one I mentioned..

I think cos I'm in Dublin I also probably have a bigger scope on users

Fewcifur wrote: »
    This makes me wonder about something... if somebody messages you more than once, is it just annoying? I don't mean message - no reply - message again... that's a bit desperate, but I mean if you message a girl, get no response, forget you messaged her and then came across her a few months later. Stupid sent mail doesn't save all your mails and it's hard to keep track, especially since I bookmark pages where I think the lady needs some more thought because she's especially interesting... but then I can't remember if I've actually messaged her. Damn. I bet that actually is irritating, even though they'd never be a copy&paste job. Gah!

No, don't think that's annoying. Especially seeing as some of the time I might read a message and might intend to reply to it but end up getting distracted and never come back to it. Am awful for that :o

If you're messaging the same person more than 2 or 3 times in a month then I'd say you could give up though ;)

There's one guy I've had block cuz he was sending messages every ten minutes asking me questions and asking why I wasn't replying :confused: .. I actually knew of this guy from girls in college and turns out his ex has a restraining order against him. He's an awful creep. Thankfully I haven't had to block too many people.. just yet anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

smurfy89 wrote: »
    No, don't think that's annoying. Especially seeing as some of the time I might read a message and might intend to reply to it but end up getting distracted and never come back to it. Am awful for that :o

If you're messaging the same person more than 2 or 3 times in a month then I'd say you could give up though ;)

There's one guy I've had block cuz he was sending messages every ten minutes asking me questions and asking why I wasn't replying :confused: .. I actually knew of this guy from girls in college and turns out his ex has a restraining order against him. He's an awful creep. Thankfully I haven't had to block too many people.. just yet anyway :pac:

Nah, I'd never deliberately message someone twice, I'd take the hint after the first no response.

Wow, that guy does sound creepy, tis a good excuse to play the messaging game for a wee bit longer than the one week rule one of the lads had earlier. Surely a psycho would reveal themselves given enough time.

• Advertisement

Would be a good idea in theory... but I know well I wouldn't want all my facebook friends seeing I had joined a dating group :P

The last guy I went out with I met online. Only told one or two people about it.. wouldn't be very open about the whole internet dating thing :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement