Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Gillo wrote: »
    Great, whats your number, once weeks texts and then a date:cool:

Ha ha , thats about right, one week of texts is fine, or even 2 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Good, I was beginning to think nobody was getting my point :D

I got your point! It's annoying and it happened me with a girl on OKC. It was actually pretty similar to your story. Was sort of like having a pen pal! Then one day she just randomly deleted her account. I presume she was dating other people and just liked to chat with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

2 weeks you say??? see that brings you up the beers here, first date and you bring a crowd from here for back up- talk about first date nerves:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Ha ha , thats about right, one week of texts is fine, or even 2 !

depends.

Normally I wouldn't like it to go that long.

If there is a mutual interest, then go for it. Rather than invest too much time in something that may not have a future when you meet and know you are not matched

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sorry for this, I don't know where to ask, I recieved a voice message from m*ybefriends.c*m, congratulating me on joining their site, is this normal practice for that site?

I've not used their services, ever, someone has obviously signed up and used my number as a contact detail.

Do they send out a voice message on signing up?

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    Sorry for this, I don't know where to ask, I recieved a voice message from m*ybefriends.c*m, congratulating me on joining their site, is this normal practice for that site?

I've not used their services, ever, someone has obviously signed up and used my number as a contact detail.

Do they send out a voice message on signing up?

I have only ever received emails from them, never a voicemail but I have never recorded my mobile number with them so that could be why

wasn't ever a member, but AF only ever send out mails

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Awww thats so nice :o:D
    Sounds like a quote from a movie :P

Ah I'm just feeling awfully creative and content after nyoming on Elephant&Castle chicken wings :)

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Ah I'm just feeling awfully creative and content after nyoming on Elephant&Castle chicken wings :)

Their chicken wings rock! The only thing I actually like on the menu:D

Their chicken wings rock! The only thing I actually like on the menu:D

The menu is pretty amazing, but nothing can beat the joy of those wings. Damn.

• Advertisement

The menu is pretty amazing, but nothing can beat the joy of those wings. Damn.

Im more of a chinese/thai fan myself, always my first choice!

Well it's hard to say a bad thing about that choice, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I just went to send someone a message and got "such and such does not wish to talk to you and is not what you are looking for"

Does this mean that I was blocked because I am certain I never even sent her a message!?...

I just went to send someone a message and got "such and such does not wish to talk to you and is not what you are looking for"

Does this mean that I was blocked because I am certain I never even sent her a message!?...

I dont know maybe its related to her choices at the end of her profile

Mail Settings
    To send a message to XXXXXX you MUST meet the following criteria:
    Male (edit)
    Must not have messaged users looking for intimate encounters or sex. (edit)
    Must not be looking for Friendship
    Must not be looking for Activity Partner
    Must not do drugs
    Must not be married

when that happens though, as it often does cos I smoke, it will tell you why

This is also the point where, if this was PoF, the cheeky boy should ask out the pretty girl for Thai food.

If only every site was as comfortable to be in as boards. :P

i got that last night. Figured out while i was looking at her profile that she saw her who's looking at me and blocked me!! lol

This is also the point where, if this was PoF, the cheeky boy should ask out the pretty girl for Thai food.

If only every site was as comfortable to be in as boards. :P

No site is as comfortable and friendly as Boards unfortunately!

gatecrash wrote: »
    i got that last night. Figured out while i was looking at her profile that she saw her who's looking at me and blocked me!! lol

wouldn't be surprised you know, some princesses seem to get more of a kick out of rejecting than accepting :rolleyes:
    Little does she know I have land and a couple of bogs. Joke is on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

wouldn't be surprised you know, some princesses seem to get more of a kick out of rejecting than accepting :rolleyes:

Oh that's so funny :D

• Advertisement

No site is as comfortable and friendly as Boards unfortunately!

True, it's like Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

that's so weird. and arrogant.

Mail Settings
    Male (edit)
    Must not do drugs
    Must not be married

ah, that's a good explanation.

ah but do you have road frontage?

I thought Slasher McGurk was scared stiff of work?
    And a man from Westmeath called Malone

I have road frontage. 'Cept the aul man sold the site with the view. I also get a lot of kudos at work so if anyone likes kudos I have it in abundance

Anyways, I think pof is a little like facebook. I ment a couple of girls a long while back and while I did meet one last weekend, I was logged in nearly every day. It's impossible not to nose about. And you kind of need to keep that in mind, that a lot of peole are doing likewise, unless you can really hit it off

Ah, like anything, expect nothing and sure if something happens its a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Nah you are just outside her criteria. She will have set up that she doesn't want to receive mail from certain categories of people. Or in other words, this:

Mail Settings
    Male (edit)
    Must not do drugs
    Must not be married

Night all its been fun, I will report back as soon as I have any sort of update on this tangled web of intrigue :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

gatecrash wrote: »
    Once upon a time i worked in a shopping centre on the northside. There was an absolutely STUNNING looking girl working in a hair salon in the centre. We are talking HOT HOT HOT.. until she opened her mouth to shout the full length of the main aisle one night when the place was closed and everyone was locking up

MAAAAAATCHHHHEWWWWWW (i think the guys name was Matthew) COMEEEEAAA (come here)

Your post just made my night. I'm howling with laughter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

newbie on pof, only signed up yesterday..... Whats the story with the "meet me" page?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

kuro2k wrote: »
    newbie on pof, only signed up yesterday..... Whats the story with the "meet me" page?

Wouldnt pay much attention to that page. They click on meet you and the never mail you!

Logged on the this morning to find 2 messages.

1 - Mmm your hot! This guy is in his 40's so you would think he could come up with something better than that!

2 - Like your profile. Will be in the **** hotel today at 1pm. Meet me there - you won't be disappointed. This guy is almost 50!

Seriously - and you wonder why we get fed up and dont reply to messages!! Im 43 by the way.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

I have been following this thread for a while, and thanks to everyone for their contributions as I have picked up a lot from it. I am new to this online dating scene so have a question.

Did anyone feel after their first date or two that it was almost like a job interview? That the other person had a list of boxes they wanted ticked, and if you didn't meet up to expectations you were going to be passed over?

I am wondering to what extent the online dating scene lends itself to this on the first date, or whether this person is like this generally?

Obviously it is sensible on the first date to try to get a sense of who the person is, their interests and general outlook on life. Obviously people need to weed out the weirdos. And with online dating the people are new to one another, so don't have background information in the way that they would if they met someone, say, at work or through friends, so there will be more questions. And this person has been on the online dating scene for a while so might be more directed in their approach than me.

But I am left feeling that though initially I thought the date had gone very well, (we have had 2 dates in quick succession, and a third planned) after the dust has settled I am starting to wonder to what extent this sort of behaviour is part of this person's personality, or whether it is just part and parcel of the online dating scene? I will definitely go on a third, and maybe fourth, date before making my mind up, but I am having some niggling doubts which I did not have at first.

I am wondering whether this person is too rigid in how they make choices (one thing seemed a bit ridiculous to me), and whether the person may be too (hastily) judgemental for my taste.

I know it can be good that someone knows what they want, but on the other hand I think it is also good to be open to new experiences, new kinds of people, and to go with the flow to some extent. Having said that, without giving anything away, this person could have excluded me from the beginning for something which would bother a lot of people and he didn't, so he is not totally narrow minded or anything.

I know no one can tell me what this specific person is like, and I will give this person a chance, but I was wondering how common this feeling of being under a spotlight on the first date was, and whether anyone had felt like this after the first date or two, but that it was fine after that? It doesn't help that I don't have a lot of dating experience in general (I am not young however) and have only dated people I knew beforehand, so I have nothing similar to compare this too.

Thanks for any replies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement