Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Well i joined POF thursday, and have a possible date tonight :D

Woo-hoo.. nice one Snoopy1!! I'll be bold and make 2 assumptions here:

1) You are male
    2) You had the balls to ask her out

If the above is true you could quite possibly restore my faith in the male population :D

Make sure you let us know how the date goes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Denisejcc wrote: »
    Woo-hoo.. nice one Snoopy1!! I'll be bold and make 2 assumptions here:

1) You are male
    2) You had the balls to ask her out

If the above is true you could quite possibly restore my faith in the male population :D

Make sure you let us know how the date goes ;)

I thought Snoopy was a lady type??

Denisejcc wrote: »
    :o:o:o Awwww you guys ;)
    I prefer the men in here to POF so far thats for sure!
    Yeah it would be great if there was some sort of chat room in POF like MBF (although the MBF one has usually less than 6 people in there!)

Must have been VERY subtle Fewcifur :P

The problem with the chat rooms is that it always the same people in them. There's one on AF as well, and i could nearly tell ya without logging on who is in there. It can be very off putting to a newbie to the sites who is unsure about the whole online dating thing to go into a chatroom or forum and to discover that a lot of people in there know each other in 3d world, and while they are being friendly to the new person, it can be a bit overwhelming.

A girl i dated a few times told that she went into the AF one just after joining, and was bombarded with private chat requests etc and she practically ran out of there as she felt it was waaaay too intense.

Oh yeah, Denise, do ya wanna go out some time??

Is Snoopy not a woman?

I'm browsing through the profiles on POF and something that astounds me is just how badly the majority of them are written! From text speak to bad grammar to just an inability to describe themselves in any coherent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Is Snoopy not a woman?

I'm browsing through the profiles on POF and something that astounds me is just how badly the majority of them are written! From text speak to bad grammar to just an inability to describe themselves in any coherent manner.

all the good ones are hidden. ;)

• Advertisement

Well that's just not fair! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

gatecrash wrote: »
    The under the spotlight feeling is all too common in my experience.

You already know a bit about the person, and their personality from the online chats, texts and possibly phone calls, but the first date is always a killer, ESPECIALLY if you are marching on in years (kinda like me, mid 30's) and all your mates are either married/settled down etc, cos you are putting yourself under a small bit of pressure too, as well as the other person wanting to make sure you tick all her boxes.

If you are having doubts after date 2 or 3 though, it'd be better to say it and make the call, before one or both of you get hurt.

Hi Gatecrash, thanks for that. It is intersting that others sometimes feel like they are under the spotlight, so at least I know that is pretty normal.

I will maybe go on one or so more dates before making my mind up, and maybe ask a few more questions of him myself in case I misunderstood certain things he said.

When I think about it, he was really being more sensible than me in how he was approaching it, as he had more of an idea what to look for and what to ask about than I did. As I hadn't done it before I was curious as much as anything, and happy to go with the flow a bit (unless I really couldn't stand the person), but of course it makes sense to think ahead a bit if you and the other person are really looking for a relationship at the end of the day.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A lot of profiles on POF say things like "I'm looking for a man who has the same interests as me" and then don't even bother to state what those interests are. Perplexing.

Galvasean wrote: »
    A lot of profiles on POF say things like "I'm looking for a man who has the same interests as me" and then don't even bother to state what those interests are. Perplexing.

Gods yes! I see that too a lot. Or profiles with, "my friends made me do this". That annoys me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Tremelo wrote: »
    I've noticed one thing a few times.

I'll email a girl, or a girl will email me, and we'll exchange a few nice mails back and forth. I'll ask her if she wants to meet up, and she'll say yes.

Then, the trend seems to be that if 7 days or more* passes between the time when the date is agreed and the time when the date is going to happen, the date *often* does not happen and contact is somehow broken.

I've had two girls disappear on me in the past two weeks in this way. Not very bothered as I have another two dates arranged, and anyway, I have barely any time for anything at the moment. But it is a little annoying.

Those girls who disappeared have suddenly come back. *suspicious*
    One lives in Cork so I'll happily meet her when I move there next weekend. The other is too far away so I've told her I can no longer manage it due to circumstances, but that she can keep my number and text me in 12 weeks if she still wants to :p

• Advertisement

Apologies if Snoopy1 is a woman :o:o:confused:

Tremelo wrote: »
    Those girls who disappeared have suddenly come back. *suspicious*

It's like those girls that text you after date #1 saying "You're a really nice guy, but I'm not looking for anything right now". Then you see them online on POF constantly.
    *suspicious*

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    Hi Gatecrash, thanks for that. It is intersting that others sometimes feel like they are under the spotlight, so at least I know that is pretty normal.

I will maybe go on one or so more dates before making my mind up, and maybe ask a few more questions of him myself in case I misunderstood certain things he said.

When I think about it, he was really being more sensible than me in how he was approaching it, as he had more of an idea what to look for and what to ask about than I did. As I hadn't done it before I was curious as much as anything, and happy to go with the flow a bit (unless I really couldn't stand the person), but of course it makes sense to think ahead a bit if you and the other person are really looking for a relationship at the end of the day.

Thanks again

No probs, but it's always worth remembering to not be too interrogatory.

I went on a date once where instead of actually getting to know the girl she had a mental checklist of questions that NEEDED to be answered

I felt like i had done something wrong, something to deeply offend this woman's entire family in the past!! :p

1) Do you have kids...... My answer was none that i know about or pay for.. strangely this didn't go down too well
    2) Have you got a mortgage..... No, i didn't
    3) Do you plan on getting one... Yes, eventually, again not what she wanted to hear
    4) Have you got a pension plan? VHI? .... Cue Gatecrash frantically looking for the doors and wondering WHY OH WHY did i not tee someone up to ring me after 15 minutes just in case!!!... my actual answer was, are these the types of questions you normally ask on a first date??
    The questions continued like this for a good while, until i suggested cinema.... anything to shut her up!!

Suffice it to say after the date, i walked her to her car and said goodnight. The next day i got a text from her saying she didn't think we were compatible. Damn near fell off my chair with the laughter!!

1) Do you have kids...... My answer was none that i know about or pay for.. strangely this didn't go down too well
    2) Have you got a mortgage..... No, i didn't
    3) Do you plan on getting one... Yes, eventually, again not what she wanted to hear
    4) Have you got a pension plan? VHI? .... Cue Gatecrash frantically looking for the doors and wondering WHY OH WHY did i not tee someone up to ring me after 15 minutes just in case!!!... my actual answer was, are these the types of questions you normally ask on a first date??
    The questions continued like this for a good while, until i suggested cinema.... anything to shut her up!!

Suffice it to say after the date, i walked her to her car and said goodnight. The next day i got a text from her saying she didn't think we were compatible. Damn near fell off my chair with the laughter!!

234px-Lindsey_Naegle.png&sa=X&ei=McX0TYCBJ47BtAbR0ayPBg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHQrn1SJmpxo6SCIEI8FCvZ4N8SWg

It's like those girls that text you after date #1 saying "You're a really nice guy, but I'm not looking for anything right now". Then you see them online on POF constantly.
    *suspicious*

That's just them being polite, and trying not to hurt your feelings. Even though in my opinion, that actually hurts a bit more.
    I'd prefer the 'not gonna work out between us' text/ email though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Im definitely a woman :D

A/L? ;)

A/L? ;)

erm what??????

234px-Lindsey_Naegle.png&sa=X&ei=McX0TYCBJ47BtAbR0ayPBg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHQrn1SJmpxo6SCIEI8FCvZ4N8SWg

Sorry Galv.. don't get the reference??

*Adds Snoopy to his stalk list after Denise says no*

• Advertisement

erm what??????

Age/Location

Ara, I don't know.

Soory
    31/Dublin

Sorry Galv.. don't get the reference??

Oh there was an episode of the Simpsons were Homer (I think it was homer anyway) had to date that business lady (pictured). She basically interviewed him much like the girl in your post.

Sorry Snoopy1!

good luck with the date, look forward to hearing about it :D

Oh there was an episode of the Simpsons were Homer (I think it was homer anyway) had to date that business lady (pictured). She basically interviewed him much like the girl in your post.

Please forgive my ignorance!! :-)

Well i finally worked how to block people who sent me message, who didnt have a picture. Now im getting far less junk sent to me :)

Well fortunately I only ever send pics...

You must be a non responder!!! :eek:

Actually im very good at responding. I respond to most emails

Actually im very good at responding. I respond to most emails

I do if I feel we have something in common. However I made the mistake the other day of answering someone I know Im not particularly interested in and now Im being bombarded with messages any time he sees me online and I dont like to just be rude and not answer as Ive answered him before but its beginning to wear a bit thin!:(

• Advertisement

Sometimes you need to actually be blunt and say sorry dude, not what I'm after

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement