Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Dovies wrote: »
    Jaysus I really feel past it now!! :eek:

why??

Does anyone else find it's a bad idea to include your age on your profile? If you don't update it, it just shows how long you've been using said site for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Does anyone else find it's a bad idea to include your age on your profile? If you don't update it, it just shows how long you've been using said site for.

Thought you had to put your age. You wont show up on searches if they filter by age

Thought you had to put your age. You wont show up on searches if they filter by age

No, I mean in the profile itself - in the description. I've seen a lot of profiles with "Hi, I'm x years old"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No, I mean in the profile itself - in the description. I've seen a lot of profiles with "Hi, I'm x years old"

Well I think its a bit silly to write seeing as it will already be in your profile. :confused:

But yeah I did notice that.

• Advertisement

Ah right. Never occured to me to write it in the profile as its already in the details! Maybe people use it to fill space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yeah , i agree with what you are saying about it being a bad idea on the age in username front.

But some people may have been using the sites in the past, ended up in a relationship which subsequently broke up, and might come back.

So user Billybob26, and his actual age being 33, doesn't necessarily mean that billybob has been on a site without success for 7 years!!

So tempted to give up on POF already and if only OKC had more people on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The amount of times I've been scanning through POF and you'd see profiles that begin with, "I'm ****. I'm 20 and live in....."
    Then right underneath it says they're 22 :rolleyes:
    I mean whatever about if you took a big break from using the website, but upon logging back on would you not so much as glance at your own profile just to make sure everything made sense? When I see profiles like that I automatically think they are either careless or stupid.

Galvasean wrote: »
    The amount of times I've been scanning through POF and you'd see profiles that begin with, "I'm ****. I'm 20 and live in....."
    I mean whatever about if you took a big break from using the website, but upon logging back on would you not so much as glance at your own profile just to make sure everything made sense? When I see profiles like that I automatically think they are either careless or stupid.

Fair enough, your example there is a particular case of dumb, but what about the people who include their age in their user name?

Personally i wouldn't and didn't. But some have. Just cos they hoped not to be on a dating site for longer than a year can't be held against them

• Advertisement

I have a number in my username - its clearly not my age but people assume its the area I come from - not that either! :D

I have a number in my username - its clearly not my age but people assume its the area I come from - not that either! :D

House address??

i couldn't put mine in.... it's a rather rude number!!!

gatecrash wrote: »
    House address??

i couldn't put mine in.... it's a rather rude number!!!

Hmm Might get you more mail! :D

Hmm Might get you more mail! :D

yes, possibly. or a usernamr like Gatecrash69 might make people think i want to join in!! :eek:

You what else bothers me? Profiles that don't use full stops, capital letters or any other such punctuation. After reading a 60 word sentence I feel quite exhausted.
    Imagine dating this dude:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Galvasean wrote: »

Maybe not everyone's live revolves around the site?

Paracore wrote: »
    Maybe not everyone's live revolves around the site?

If you are on a dating site, you are there for a reason. ya might as well try to be accurate as possible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

If you are on a dating site, you are there for a reason. ya might as well try to be accurate as possible

Yes but people may start out with the best of intentions and then just end up visiting now and again so information is not going to be updated because its not the be all and end all to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Does anyone know how to delete a POF account? I know it's hidden deep in the menu somewhere but can't find it.

• Advertisement

Paracore wrote: »
    Yes but people may start out with the best of intentions and then just end up visiting now and again so information is not going to be updated because its not the be all and end all to some people.

If someone is actively using a website to the point that they are on it almost daily one can only assume they are actively using it for it's intended purpose. It would therefore be in their best interest to have their information correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

You what else bothers me? Profiles that don't use full stops, capital letters or any other such punctuation. After reading a 60 word sentence I feel quite exhausted.

I can't read them I just zone out and click next. The deterioration of writing on profiles is scary. It seems to be getting worse and worse.

I know the debate on to date with kids or not date kids has almost run its course (heck life is fast on the boardsie train) I just wanted to add one thing. I can completely understand why some people don't date people with kids. Yes I or others like me may be wonderful, great company etc, etc but when a person dates some one with kids, even if they never meet that child, it is very different to dating someone single. When I see profiles of guys looking for a woman to go travelling or impromptu weekends etc I don't contact them because I know I can't do that at the moment. Also I had two long term relationships as my son was growing up, when we broke up that person I was with not only lost me but they lost the friendship with my son, now both of them left the relationship for various reasons but I knew it was tough for them so there is a real risk getting involved with two people. So I really do understand why people don't date those with kids and they are being true to themselves but I am glad that not everyone feels like that otherwise I'd be in the nunnery.

On another note, when was the earliest you used a dating site? I first did online dating in 2000, met a guy and went out with him for nine months. It was a brilliant site, simple, no photos and lots of funny interesting profiles then it got bought over by RSVP.ie which later died a death (it was quite good) and now POF has taken over and internet dating is becoming as jaded as a dingy nite-club. Everyone seems so cynical and jaded on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Personally I don't know why there's a debate about who people will or will not date for their own personal reasons and their own personal tastes at all.

I actually find it ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Personally I don't know why there's a debate about who people will or will not date for their own personal reasons and their own personal tastes at all.

I actually find it ridiculous.

Kinda of a wild guess but its a thread about dating sites

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Out of curiosity I joined Ok Cupid because POF just doesn't seem to be working. I've had more messages than POF thus far anyway.

Much better layout than POF that's for sure.

EDIT: A girl on there has in her profile: "I'm never seen without a camera in my hand"... Yet she has no profile picture. Irony is delicious.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I joined Ok Cupid because POF just doesn't seem to be working. I've had more messages than POF thus far anyway.

Much better layout than POF that's for sure.

EDIT: A girl on there has in her profile: "I'm never seen without a camera in my hand"... Yet she has no profile picture. Irony is delicious.

There's a girl on POF that says just cos i look at your profile and don't mail doesn't mean I'm not interested.... I think she might like the mail... maybe she's a stamp collector!!

There's a girl on POF that says just cos i look at your profile and don't mail doesn't mean I'm not interested.... I think she might like the mail... maybe she's a stamp collector!!

Perhaps.

I think I'm using OK Cupid backwards because I keep messaging my "enemies" instead of my "matches". :pac:

It's a lot more fun and I'm getting some great conversations out of it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

That_Guy wrote: »

Well why would she if she's the one that's usually behind the camera :p

liah wrote: »
    Well why would she if she's the one that's usually behind the camera :p

Ah yeah but I just found it funny that she doesn't take one of herself.

Her profile is actually quite good though, so I sent her a message.

I'd even accept a "duck pose". *shudders*

• Advertisement

OKC has enemies??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement