Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

gatecrash wrote: »
    OKC has enemies??

They mark it into three categories.

Matches, Friends and Enemies. It's complete BS tbh. I just message everybody... Mostly enemies though for the lulz.

EDIT: FFS, there's a load of members who haven't been online since 2009/2010. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

miec wrote: »
    On another note, when was the earliest you used a dating site? I first did online dating in 2000, met a guy and went out with him for nine months. It was a brilliant site, simple, no photos and lots of funny interesting profiles then it got bought over by RSVP.ie which later died a death (it was quite good) and now POF has taken over and internet dating is becoming as jaded as a dingy nite-club. Everyone seems so cynical and jaded on it.

Think it was around 2006 in my case. Was at home recovering from surgery to fix a "Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon" style shoulder and was bored with a laptop in front of me, and a car i wasn't able to drive outside.
    It wasn't a concious decision, more a wonder what these things are like decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

That_Guy wrote: »

Matches, Friends and Enemies. It's complete BS tbh. I just message everybody... Mostly enemies though for the lulz.

I found a friend's profile on OKC. We were 0% match, 11% friends and 62% enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Galvasean wrote: »
    I found a friend's profile on OKC. We were 0% match, 11% friends and 62% enemies.

If you're to base your usage of that site on their percentages you could be seriously missing out on somebody who is actually suited to you.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

EDIT: FFS, there's a load of members who haven't been online since 2009/2010. :pac:

Come across a few on there that ain't been on since like 2007 too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Yep, just joined OKC as of tonight. Within half an hour of joining I got into a conversation with someone who seems cool. Got a few other responses as well which was surprising, was on the verge of giving it all up to be honest.

PoF, I don't get it really, no one seems to respond to my messages with a couple of exceptions. If I do get a message it's usually someone completely unsuited to my personality and I don't mean just looks as a couple of em were pretty enough, they don't bother responding after a couple of messages anyway though.

The girls that do message me are all the same, "Luv goin ou wi mi girliez, I'm a fun loving happy girl who loves all types of music like Kings Of Leon" "Luv mi friends and family and luv goin ou on saterdayz" etc. Shudder.

Gonna stick with OKC for now as it seems to be working out better for me, for now at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭flatnn

Just got a message from a girl telling me I'm a roide :cool:

.....am I now supposed to write back and carry the conversation?

flatnn wrote: »
    Just got a message from a girl telling me I'm a roide :cool:

*Subscribes to thread*

A girl mailed me asking if I'd like to go for a coffee or drink tomorrow evening. She seems nice. I guess I'll go.

A girl mailed me asking if I'd like to go for a coffee or drink tomorrow evening. She seems nice. I guess I'll go.

Dammit.......

If this keeps up i'm gonna have to invent a mail just to fit in!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I always filter by who's been online in the past month or something. makes sense really. you should do that.

thought you were giving up on things for a while? :confused:

thought you were giving up on things for a while? :confused:

Yeah. I logged back in the other day, looked around, decided I wasn't ready for it. Got a couple of mails (I must be on the 'whose new' list), so out of curiosity I read them anyway. One was actually a very nice message from a girl who seems quite nice. Haven't mailed her back yet. It still all seems a little soon. But then another part of me is saying, "Whats the harm? No point brooding forever. You may regret it if you turn her down. Fish rarely jump directly into the boat. Gift horse, mouth etc."
    Hmmmmmmmmm, decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Fish rarely jump directly into the boat.

:D:D:D

Yeah. I logged back in the other day, looked around, decided I wasn't ready for it. Got a couple of mails (I must be on the 'whose new' list), so out of curiosity I read them anyway. One was actually a very nice message from a girl who seems quite nice. Haven't mailed her back yet. It still all seems a little soon. But then another part of me is saying, "Whats the harm? No point brooding forever. You may regret it if you turn her down. Fish rarely jump directly into the boat. Gift horse, mouth etc."
    Hmmmmmmmmm, decisions.

Jesus your ex-ex-ex really did a number on you.

If you are really not sure then it's unfair on her.

but it's your call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

gatecrash wrote: »
    Jesus your ex-ex-ex really did a number on you.

If you are really not sure then it's unfair on her.

but it's your call

I can't speak for Galvasean, but there is nothing unusual I think about running into guys that have developed a bit of a healthy cynicism at this stage of their lives. Turning up for a date even if you are just doing it out of nothing more than curiousity isn't a crime at all, who know's you could just end up being unexpectedly overwhelmed and the same for the other person. But I think it's entirely normal to expect fairly little in terms of romance at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

flatnn wrote: »

Ask her if she'd roid you like she stole you.

Did i mention that i am besotted with a girl i met on PoF?

Hmmm

I just got a mail on AF saying that she looked at my profile and would really like to meet me and an email address and a sneakily suspicious eastern european name...

Where's my nigerian prince alter ego???

I can't speak for Galvasean, but there is nothing unusual I think about running into guys that have developed a bit of a healthy cynicism at this stage of their lives. Turning up for a date even if you are just doing it out of nothing more than curiousity isn't a crime at all, who know's you could just end up being unexpectedly overwhelmed and the same for the other person. But I think it's entirely normal to expect fairly little in terms of romance at the same time.

I didn't mean that as a pop at him, but I met a girl once just out of a relationship where my ex had cheated on me, we ended up together for 2 years but at no stage was my heart truly in it. And I KNOW I hurt that girl, and I know that i was a pr!ck for doing it, but at the time we met I was so vulnerable and so screwed up that someone could have convinced me that white was black and vice versa using red paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Think it was around 2006 in my case. Was at home recovering from surgery to fix a "Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon" style shoulder and was bored with a laptop in front of me, and a car i wasn't able to drive outside.
    It wasn't a concious decision, more a wonder what these things are like decision.

I came across the intial website when I was looking for recruitment sites for a friend, I didn't manage to find one for her but my love life improved after that. It is odd ten years on and seeing how much online dating has changed, for a start there are a lot more people using dating sites.

miec wrote: »
    I came across the intial website when I was looking for recruitment sites for a friend, I didn't manage to find one for her but my love life improved after that. It is odd ten years on and seeing how much online dating has changed, for a start there are a lot more people using dating sites.

even 5 years ago they were used, but if you met someone and hit it off etc a mysterious "mutual friend" always set you up!

Now it is kinda acceptable to say, yeah, we met online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Just signed up to OkCupid.

Erm....There are only long haired men viewing my profile. I have literally yet to see a short haired man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Erm....There are only long haired men viewing my profile. I have literally yet to see a short haired man.[/QUOTE

Yep every one of my matches has either long hair or a beard - both of which I hate. Think its a conspiracy by all the hairy men of Dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep every one of my matches has either long hair or a beard - both of which I hate. Think its a conspiracy by all the hairy men of Dublin :rolleyes:

Jealous of our hair I expect.

Just had my first unprovoked abusive message - i'm a shallow b!tch and nothing special.

Nah , not for me , deleted already , I prefer POF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Jealous of our hair I expect.

Just had my first unprovoked abusive message - i'm a shallow b!tch and nothing special.

Lol welcome to the world of online dating - you are now officially a member! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

i'm a shallow b!tch and nothing special.

That is a bit uncalled for. Mind you I was told one time to peruse the gay ads when I declined to meet someone for a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Would any of the women on here be up for me sending my username in a pm to them so you could maybe tell me what the hell it is I'm doing wrong? Pm me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

I've been lurking here for a while now.

Wondering if anyone has ever tried e-vow, the site advertised on POF? Meant to be part of the POF stable but for people only looking for relationships. Say they reject people they know aren't looking for something longterm. Not entirely sure how. Presumably they check whether you've looked for intimate encounters on POF? Didn't bother logging in myself- I figured from the amount of times I've opened and closed POF accounts they wouldn't let me in and don't have the heart to go through a profile thing again. But a little bit curious.

Hmmm.... apparently i'm toyboy territory.

My last 10 most recent views are from women 10 years and older than me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭I made the BBC

Erm....There are only long haired men viewing my profile. I have literally yet to see a short haired man.[/QUOTE

:eek: Where are all these hairy bearded men hiding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

:eek: Where are all these hairy bearded men hiding?

Well I'm definitely not one...

Or am I...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement