Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭flatnn

Trying to message 3 girls at once tonight, its actually pretty tiring :P

What do yas think of the "one line" messagers? one of them in leaning towards asking for a meet-up but im thinking to myself what the hell will we talking about sometimes she doesn't even finish the sentence she sends! has tried to IM me twice but disappeared for 20 mins both times after sending request!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Im all infavour of a man with a sense of humour

BUT what with the "Knitting" as an interest :confused:

I've seen it on loads now, am I missing something here??

No smart arse answers now :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

flatnn wrote: »
    Trying to message 3 girls at once tonight, its actually pretty tiring :P

What do yas think of the "one line" messagers? one of them in leaning towards asking for a meet-up but im thinking to myself what the hell will we talking about sometimes she doesn't even finish the sentence she sends! has tried to IM me twice but disappeared for 20 mins both times after sending request!

Maybe she knows she is no good at the emails and chat online and will do herself more justice face to face so wants to organise a date instead of cyberchat! Its not to everyones taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Had my first internet date this eve. I was home by 9pm with a takeaway. You can draw your own conclusions about how it went from that!

Nice guy but no spark. Ah well, onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Justask wrote: »

Probably a silly joke. An an unfunny one IMO, but just a joke all the same. Up there with extreme ironing.

• Advertisement

Justask wrote: »

ha ha had to Urban dictionary that one!!
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=knitting

Semele wrote: »
    Had my first internet date this eve. I was home by 9pm with a takeaway. You can draw your own conclusions about how it went from that!

NEXT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Denisejcc wrote: »

I stand corrected. And slightly despairing.

Denisejcc wrote: »

OMG no way LMAO

oh god im so :o now :eek::eek:

Well I can now go to bed and say I learned something today....:D

Me too, I'm way too innocent I would have assumed they meant knitting with wool! Just knew if there were loads of men saying it that it meant something else :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Match.com subscription will expire this wek, can't say i am too disappointed as the offerings on it are pretty bad. They have added a hide option to their profile pages.

Are you able to see how others rate you on OKCupid. Have had a couple of views but one exchange of messages which seems to have gone nowhere.

POf SEEMS TO BE FRUITLESS WHEN IT OMES TO REPLIES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

POF is gas, met a girl i knew from Oz on it. we're meeting in a couple of weeks. time to finish business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Happens to everyone.

Don't be put off by it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

just when you're about to give up it pulls you back, in message back from girl with no picture but who seems interesting and clever

I was just updating my settings there and I noticed that you can have a minimum number of characters per message that someone can send to you.

I know there was a few people on here who said that messages were not being sent. Maybe that was the reason. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Home by 9pm even though he was a nice guy? Was it a case of "This is going nowhere, no point wasting my time" or was the conversation not up to scratch?
    manafana wrote: »
    just when you're about to give up it pulls you back, in message back from girl with no picture but who seems interesting and clever

I've started mailing people without pics, based on their profile alone. I'm not sure if it's going to have any effect, but, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I said before that some of these dating profiles crack me up. Classic one below.
    Not looking for a Hubby or a boyfriend or a sex buddy.Such a Cliche'!
    I like to have intellectual and fulfilling converstaions before decide if you deserve a coffe with me.
    I like to meet someone uncomplicated and who i enjoy to be with.
    Possibly two way street.
    Pleas Needy man do NOT apply!

AND ONLY Guys Taller than me...! Its a MUST!

I would be quite uninteressed to attachment and controll freaks.

I am defenetly a quite coky gal at times....i dont tell the truth about myself in term to protect my feelings,i always want to be right, i like lable clothes well dressed man good restaurants and i love horses and the countryside..

I do strive every day to transform my life and become a better person.

1.Lesson one of becoming a better person, learn to use spell check!

I think by that profile if I pm her I be exchanging pms with some guy in West Africa looking for my bank account details after two mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fee fi fo fum

Defo message her for the entertainment factor alone.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I said before that some of these dating profiles crack me up. Classic one below.

I think by that profile if I pm her I be exchanging pms with some guy in West Africa looking for my bank account details after two mails.

That's my competition? :rolleyes: Pah! :pac: Does she state anything about her interests at all?

Most guy profiles are quite short. Do girls tend to have very long profiles? Like essay style ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I tried it once (online dating, that is). Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Now, i aint saying she a goldigger
    but...

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I tried it once (online dating, that is). Never again.

You could always go traditional and contact that matchmaker fellow in Lisdoonvarna. He might hook you up with a rich Yank.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Larianne wrote: »
    That's my competition? :rolleyes: Pah! :pac: Does she state anything about her interests at all?

Most guy profiles are quite short. Do girls tend to have very long profiles? Like essay style ones?

No, it's normally super short profiles. Really hard to find something to talk about, and since I have the urge to write essays all the time, I end up making an overly long post about her love of travelling (which normally consists of an adventure to Oz or Thailand.)

My profile was an essay, but now it's the size of an essay but with the enter button pressed many many times :)

Reading some of the fem profiles some of them really take it too seriously, their pages are done up to the nines with wallpaper, poems, quizes, links to their current favourite songs on youtube, list of all their hobbies. aspirations in life and ideas to cure world hunger.

Then you get the I am so beautiful and successful profiles with the photo shoot album who are looking a tall attractive successful, rich and career driven guy to take them to the next level and possibly combine DNA to produce the next Master Race.

I know my own profile is short enough, basically if you have a question drop me a pm profile. I find profile writing is as painful as writing CVs, trying to condense your life into less than 200 words and still sound interesting.

I know my own profile is short enough, basically if you have a question drop me a pm profile. I find profile writing is as painful as writing CVs, trying to condense your life into less than 200 words and still sound interesting.

But have you written stuff about your interests??

Makes it easier to make contact with the person first.

I've 4 short paragraphs on mine, just outlining some of my interests and what I'm doing with my life at the moment. Although, sometimes I wonder why I bother coz only a handful of guys actually comment on something I've wrote down in my profile.

But have you written stuff about your interests??

Makes it easier to make contact with the person first.

I've 4 short paragraphs on mine, just outlining some of my interests and what I'm doing with my life at the moment. Although, sometimes I wonder why I bother coz only a handful of guys actually comment on something I've wrote down in my profile.

You should send me a link to yours so I can compare mine.....:)

I always make a point to comment on their interests rather than their looks because I guess you must get tired of the "your smoking hot mails" all the time.

You should send me a link to yours so I can compare mine.....:)

I always make a point to comment on their interests rather than their looks because I guess you must get tired of the "your smoking hot mails" all the time.

Ha '"your smoking hot" mails. :o It's more the "hi" mails which get tedious. And then there's the plain weird ones.

Link you my profile. :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

I signed up for one two years ago when i was in england and pretty much right away met someone really cool, and we dated for the next eight months and are still close friends. i'm signed up to a couple now though I don't really use them much.
    i have to say I would never message anyone without a photo posted. to me not having a photo indicates they might have a significant other, but also, physical attraction is really important for me when it comes to dating.

i do think it's great advice to mention things you notice in their profile in a message. though in saying that, i have gotten some really nice, thoughtful and interesting messages and still haven't replied if I didn't find them attractive or dislike something else in their profile.

I don't think it's rude to say nothing, and would rather ignore a message than start a conversation and then make excuses if they ask to meet. i wouldnt want anyone who doesn't fancy me to waste my time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

In fairness though, I think you could probably put any seemingly innocuous word into urban dictionary and it would still have a definition of some sort of sex act.

EDIT: just tested my theory with 'tomato soup' (It's what I had for dinner). I'm never eating it again...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Valerie! I use to like Tomato soup. :o

ew

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement