Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, photos can be a bit misleading sometimes, stick with it a bit more Anyone and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭flatnn

Ya know in your inbox where it shows above it out of the people you have been messaging who is online. when the red "CHAT" is beside them, does that mean they are chatting to somebody or are availble to chat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

flatnn wrote: »
    Ya know in your inbox where it shows above it out of the people you have been messaging who is online. when the red "CHAT" is beside them, does that mean they are chatting to somebody or are availble to chat?

Available to chat AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

careymary wrote: »
    I think I might have a commitment phobia, have been chatting to this guy on POF for about two weeks, we met on fri night, all went well, bit of a spark, plenty of banter, all in all a good date by my standards.
    Met up again last night, again another good date, plenty of fun. Got a text when I got home saying "thanks for a great night, really glad i met you, you are somone I could spend the rest of my life with for sure xx"
    It made my blood run cold, am i right in thinking thats a bit full on???
    I sent back a quick "yeah had a good night too" but now I have no interest in meeting him again, talk about scaring someone off!!

So the guy text yesterday and was asking what was I up to this evening, so I decided to bite the bullet, I rang him and told him I was a bit freaked by what he had text, he was grand about it, said he likes to wear his heart on his sleeve and not play games, but he took it on board that he should calm it down a bit, so we are heading to the cinema tonight, he suggested bridesmaids and we both started to laugh so at least he has a sense of humour about himself!! fingers crossed!

careymary wrote: »
    So the guy text yesterday and was asking what was I up to this evening, so I decided to bite the bullet, I rang him and told him I was a bit freaked by what he had text, he was grand about it, said he likes to wear his heart on his sleeve and not play games, but he took it on board that he should calm it down a bit, so we are heading to the cinema tonight, he suggested bridesmaids and we both started to laugh so at least he has a sense of humour about himself!! fingers crossed!

Glad to hear it. At least you told him as well, rather than stewing on it and getting freaked out.

• Advertisement

gatecrash wrote: »
    Available to chat AFAIK

How do ya make yourself appear available to chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What is the etiquette for these kind of things? obviously if it was a girl i knew in real life i'd prob pay for everything.

I always offer to, and usually do, buy the second round. I mean you are technically strangers and I feel it's a bit weird to allow the guy to buy me drinks for the night.

Although I'd feel like that on any date so, eh, my point is probably not valid at all.

If you meet early enough you can always get the last bus home. :)

Larianne wrote: »
    I always offer to, and usually do, buy the second round. I mean you are technically strangers and I feel it's a bit weird to allow the guy to buy me drinks for the night.

Although I'd feel like that on any date so, eh, my point is probably not valid at all.

If you meet early enough you can always get the last bus home. :)

and forego chancing the arm at nights end :eek:

How do ya make yourself appear available to chat?

i thnk it's be default, if you have had mail contact back and forth

and forego chancing the arm at nights end :eek:

Ah, so that's where I'm going wrong, eh! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Alright, i've been skeptical of profiles with no pictures, but I was wandering OKC the other day and found a photoless profile that I thought was very cool so got chatting with herself. Very funny gal with a cracking sense of humour. She sent me some pics today and my word she is a looker!
    Best of all she isn't my cousin! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Right, I'm hiding my profile again this evening. Just havent got the time or patience for dealing with the headcases at the moment. Dont have any pictures of me grinning ear to ear like a Cheshire cat on my profile and the last opening mail i received asks me if I've got any teeth?? WTF....... read - deleted - blocked

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galvasean wrote: »
    Alright, i've been skeptical of profiles with no pictures, but I was wandering OKC the other day and found a photoless profile that I thought was very cool so got chatting with herself. Very funny gal with a cracking sense of humour. She sent me some pics today and my word she is a looker!
    Best of all she isn't my cousin! :pac:

You city folk are too picky. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Yeah, the date I went on at the weekend he insisted on buying the first two rounds of drinks even though I automatically was heading to the bar for the 2nd round. He said it'd make him feel bad:confused: It took a lot of persuasion for him to let me get the third as well.

Was just a bit weird- it's always 50/50 when I go out usually. Certainly none of my social circle are the kind of girls who expect guys to pay for everything and it just made me even more convinced that I was not his usual type > really not compatible!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Semele wrote: »
    Yeah, the date I went on at the weekend he insisted on buying the first two rounds of drinks even though I automatically was heading to the bar for the 2nd round. He said it'd make him feel bad:confused: It took a lot of persuasion for him to let me get the third as well.

Was just a bit weird- it's always 50/50 when I go out usually. Certainly none of my social circle are the kind of girls who expect guys to pay for everything and it just made me even more convinced that I was not his usual type > really not compatible!

Yeah, I'd always assume it was 50/50, or rather I'd get the first round in and see what she does when the drinks are done. Yes, I am that wily :)
    Though last time I went on a date we started doing rounds but then she started forgetting (genuinely) it was her round, but I was getting on well with her so I didn't mind.

Semele wrote: »

tell ya what Semele, if we ever go on a 1st date and you buy the second round then it's a sign things are not going well!! :pac:

First drink is a kinda like a thank you drink. Second drink is the first drink of the round. 3rd drink is the ladies to buy, as the 2nd drink of the round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

tell ya what Semele, if we ever go on a 1st date and you buy the second round then it's a sign things are not going well!! :pac:

First drink is a kinda like a thank you drink. Second drink is the first drink of the round. 3rd drink is the ladies to buy, as the 2nd drink of the round

????? :confused:

Ah jaysis, tis very confusing. :confused:

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    ????? :confused:

I'd buy the first drink. It's just something i liek to do,

Then i buy the second drink cos at that stage we are getting on well, and go into a round. Lady buy's the third drink, i buy 4th, so on and so forth

God its confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

+1 to 50/50, especially for the first three or so dates. Later, if one person's a little better off than the other, I think it's ok for one or the other to buy an extra one or two.

that's just how i like to do i t. I will buy the first 2 drinks of a date that is going well.

I wouldn't like the lady to put her hand into her pocket until the third drink, and i wouldn't feel right if she did.

maybe I'm a throwback, maybe i'm old fashioned, but that's the way i am

Id always buy the 2nd drink , then alternate.
    Id be on the floor by drink 4 though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

that's just how i like to do i t. I will buy the first 2 drinks of a date that is going well.

I wouldn't like the lady to put her hand into her pocket until the third drink, and i wouldn't feel right if she did.

maybe I'm a throwback, maybe i'm old fashioned, but that's the way i am

That's cool, one extra is no biggie!

I wouldn't be comfortable with a guy paying for more cos I'd feel like I owed him something in return, even if he didn't. For me, it would add unnecessary pressure to the dynamic.

Id always buy the 2nd drink , then alternate.
    Id be on the floor by drink 4 though ;)

Drink 4 eh?? Sooooo... what YOU doing tonight!! :pac::pac::pac:

KIDDING!!

Going drinking with Gate Crash ;)

Going drinking with Gate Crash ;)

WOOHOO!!

Gatey got a datey!!! :pac::pac::pac:

That's cool, one extra is no biggie!

I wouldn't be comfortable with a guy paying for more cos I'd feel like I owed him something in return, even if he didn't. For me, it would add unnecessary pressure to the dynamic.

That's fair enough.

I had a few date recently that went beyond date 1, and those were 50/50..

Actually i tell a lie, one wasn't, 1 was me spending a bit more alright, but it was her birthday, so I didn't mind too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ive paid for everything so far and we are going out a few months!

Then again, Im awfully rich :D

• Advertisement

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Ive paid for everything so far and we are going out a few months!

Then again, Im awfully rich :D

Throw a bit of cash down this way then my lordship if you please!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement