Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I remember i had created my account and literally within a minute i had about 25 emails.

It gets very time consuming, especially when your working all day. But the less you go on the sites, the less mail you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

29? :pac:

no :(

random new ones maybe 1 every two days.regulars 3 a day.
    Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I remember i had created my account and literally within a minute i had about 25 emails.

It gets very time consuming, especially when your working all day. But the less you go on the sites, the less mail you get.

:(

/jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

no :(

random new ones maybe 1 every two days.regulars 3 a day.

:(

/jealous

I'd count yourself lucky. I can only imagine how most of those 29 emails are like. "Hi babez, got cam?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

As a bloke that has used online dating on and off for a number of years I have to say not once have I gotten the hump if a female didnt reply to me never mind send her an abusive message if she replied saying I wasnt her type.Jesus its not a personal thing and I wouldnt expect to get grief if I didnt reply to someone.

That's the right attitude to have. I would be the same.

This whole discussion about 'not interested' replies is pointless. No matter what someone chooses to do you won't keep everyone happy! Some want the 'not interested' reply but others don't. You just need to do what you personally feel is the right thing to do at the time based on your own personal experience.

I'd count yourself lucky. I can only imagine how most of those 29 emails are like. "Hi babez, got cam?" :pac:

meh.

I'm beginning to wonder do i look a little unfeminine in my pictures. I had a gay girl interested before, and just now I've had a straight girl ask me am i interested in trying things out with her. she's gorgeous, but i suppose that answers the 'should i give girls a go' question i've been asking. but anyway, hmmm, i wonder do i look a little masculine :o:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You can surely get a guy pal to proof read your profile. It is beyond the greatest human minds to identify good pictures of oneself. I guarantee your mates will pick completely different good photos of you than you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

meh.

I'm beginning to wonder do i look a little unfeminine in my pictures. I had a gay girl interested before, and just now I've had a straight girl ask me am i interested in trying things out with her. she's gorgeous, but i suppose that answers the 'should i give girls a go' question i've been asking. but anyway, hmmm, i wonder do i look a little masculine :o:(

pics or gtfo ;):pac:

cantdecide wrote: »
    You can surely get a guy pal to proof read your profile. It is beyond the greatest human minds to identify good pictures of oneself. I guarantee your mates will pick completely different good photos of you than you would.

yeah, well i've had slightly more men coming onto me, so i can't be too manly looking :o

yeah, well i've had slightly more men coming onto me, so i can't be too manly looking :o

Can't hurt. I always got a friend to proof read my profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I don't think straight men/lesbians have too many differences in what attracts them. Maybe on an individual level there are differences, but by and large the same things grab the attention.

So...no would be my answer! If you attract straight men, you're likely to attract lesbians. Same way guys that attract straight women are liable to attract gay men.

• Advertisement

I got loads of attention from gay men :rolleyes: I can assure you it ain't because I'm effeminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

One thing about the picture thing I think people forget is that it's a bit similar to real life. While personality and shared interests are clearly very important pretending that looks aren't at all is a bit ridiculous. In order for me to approach a woman I have to have some physical attraction from the off before I start talking to her. So I presume it'd be similar on a dating site. If a woman's pictures just don't do it for me it doesn't matter what's in the profile. Call me shallow if you will but that's my perspective on it.

I'm the same. Sadly, I can't judge everyone purely on personality. if I don't find someone physically attractive I don't consider dating the, I'd hazard a guess most people are the same.
    I got loads of attention from gay men :rolleyes: I can assure you it ain't because I'm effeminate.

I got more attention from gay guys than women. I'd give it a go but I like being able to give blood :/

State in your profile that you are straight they you won't get contacted by gay people. Saves everyone time.

mood wrote: »
    State in your profile that you are straight they you won't get contacted by gay people. Saves everyone time.

That's not true. I clearly say I am straight and I have had contact from gay men. As far as I know, they'll even get a message saying I have indicated I don't want contact from them as they don't match my criteria. Yet I still get the odd message every now and then.

...I have indicated I don't want contact from them as they don't match my criteria. Yet I still get the odd message every now and then...

I hate being pestered.

Men :rolleyes: :D

yeah it's very much not true.i've 'straight' down, and this is the second girl that's asked would i be interested.

yeah it's very much not true.i've 'straight' down, and this is the second girl that's asked would i be interested.

Just hit delete... and dare I say it... don't reply! And before anyone says it's rude not to reply I think it's rude to not read a persons profile or ignore very basic information (like sexual orientation etc).

I hate being pestered.

Men :rolleyes: :D

Why won't men learn that no means no? :pac: Reminds me of my best Facebook status update!
    Have spent the last hour getting texts from an amorous man who thinks we met at a hen party last night. Why don't men know that no means no!

Just hit delete... and dare I say it... don't reply! And before anyone says it's rude not to reply I think it's rude to not read a persons profile or ignore very basic information (like sexual orientation etc).

I do practice what I preach! I replied and told them sorry, no thanks, I'm definitely straight and that was the end of it. I didn't mind having to reply...

I got really feed up at one stage as most e-mails I was getting were for men who didn't read/heed my profile. ie if I wanted to meet a 50 year old why would my profile state that I want to meet someone in the 25 - 35 age group for example!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was going to say something in response but...
    I got really feed up at one stage as most e-mails I was getting were for men who didn't read/heed my profile. ie if I wanted to meet a 50 year old why would my profile state that I want to meet someone in the 25 - 35 age group for example!
    It would seem you and I were in the same boat!
    A lot of people don't seem to read profiles (properly at least). Most of my mails came from people over 40 when my profile states that I was only looking for women (as I said before several men mailed me) under 30.
    Mood wrote:
    I think it's rude to not read a persons profile or ignore very basic information (like sexual orientation etc).
    This.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Just checked out OKCupid for the craic and ended up answering looooooooads of questions.

But seems I have hardly any actual matches except one lad, have more "friends" percentage with the lot of them and a few "enemies" percentage as well .... :eek::pac:

Saw about 6 lads I know some I've even been drinking with in various groups of friends in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Welcome to the darkside TT!

Welcome to the darkside TT!

Well don't welcome me tooooo much, I kinda cheated :p

Didn't do a proper profile just wanted to see what questions they actually asked you to match you to people and I take it people can volunteer questions as some were on the.....interesting side to say the least!

There's alot of questions on religion and esp politics.
    Think I'd be too shy to do the whole online dating scene which I know sounds odd when it really isn't any different to other forms of meeting folks.

I got matches from a local town but even after answering 135 feicin questions(had alot of time to kill today :D) those same people were coming up each time I checked as a match.
    Considering I know them and know they most definitely are not a match to me....I found it odd. Surely they didn't answer the questions the exact same as me.....if they did then they sure as hell were lying!! :pac:

Made me wonder if OKCupid were just throwing them up as they live in surrounding towns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I would expect it might take awhile til your answers propagate, if you know what I mean; insofar as, when you answer a load of questions, I wouldn't expect your results to change immediately. It might take awhile to "kick in." I don't know for sure, though. Also keep in mind you can hide profiles; when you do, new ones will come up.

There's a lot of questions about religion and politics because they're generally incredible indicators as to whether or not you'll get on with someone. If you match up with someone's religious and political views, you're much more likely to get on than if you don't, especially considering these views can be very close to some people and they put a large importance on compatibility for these things.

I wouldn't rely on the matching systems like that. Just reading profiles and e-mailing someone you see for your self who suits you and visa versa.

liah wrote: »

There's a lot of questions about religion and politics because they're generally incredible indicators as to whether or not you'll get on with someone. If you match up with someone's religious and political views, you're much more likely to get on than if you don't, especially considering these views can be very close to some people and they put a large importance on compatibility for these things.

Oh I do realise that, was just suprised by how many there is.
    Didn't see the hide function.
    Can you hide yourself from certain folks you wouldn't want seeing you?

I wouldn't rely on the matching systems like that. Just reading profiles and e-mailing someone you see for your self who suits you and visa versa.

Oh...didn't realise you could go around reading everyones profile.
    Thought you only had your matches and that was it!

ToniTuddle I never used that site. i used a different one. I was just saying I wouldn't depend on a computer programme to 'match' me with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Oh I do realise that, was just suprised by how many there is.
    Didn't see the hide function.
    Can you hide yourself from certain folks you wouldn't want seeing you?

You can block people, yeah, I don't know how though as I've never done it but it's an option somewhere, I know I've seen it.. Try settings?

• Advertisement

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    ...Think I'd be too shy to do the whole online dating scene...Made me wonder if OKCupid were just throwing them up as they live in surrounding towns?

Get stuck in. You will see people you know. Being 'found out' is not something you'll have to worry about. You're all in the same boat. Just don't pin all your hopes on it. I kind of used it as a last resort because I'm a fairly shy and private person too. This was a mistake. Just have a good look around, set your profile up properly when you're happy you know the ropes and get on with your life.

I don't know what the buzz is with OKCupid. I had the same experience. Very few matches compared to the likes of POF.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement