Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

How do you mean "frightening"? I'd be for this, subject to the right controls. If it could be as simple as she asks my permission to access what is already mostly a public record, I say yes, she looks, I see hers and off we go, why not?
    If I say no or she doesn't like what she sees, she can decide to say no. Fair enough.

Covert access, no way. Mutual open access with consent make sense to me.

I mean frightening because as Galvasean just said, it appears to be something that might only be available to women. The idea of a woman having some sort of a right to be able to walk into a police station or send off an e-mail and be able to "vet" me is something that I genuinely think is frightening and that's coming from someone without any type of a misdemeanour attached to them.

If someone is violent or deviant, then the answer is imprisonment or remedial sentencing, but certainly not this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I mean frightening because as Galvasean just said, it appears to be something that might only be available to women. The idea of a woman having some sort of a right to be able to walk into a police station or send off an e-mail and be able to "vet" me is something that I genuinely think is frightening and that's coming from someone without any type of a misdemeanour attached to them.

If someone is violent or deviant, then the answer is imprisonment or remedial sentencing, but certainly not this....

I doubt there'd be a gender-bar on it. If it sees the light of day, it'd be equal access. I'd be confident that's just sloppy jouralism, based on the story that inspired the idea being about a man killing a woman and the comments from politicians reflecting that. I don't think it'd be constitutional otherwise.

The records it would be based on are already mostly public, in the UK and Ireland. It's also open to employers to vet you with you permission already. So long as permission remains a feature, I wouldn't have a problem with this. I think it could be a good thing.

I doubt there'd be a gender-bar on it. If it sees the light of day, it'd be equal access. I'd be confident that's just sloppy jouralism, based on the story that inspired the idea being about a man killing a woman and the comments from politicians reflecting that. I don't think it'd be constitutional otherwise.

The records it would be based on are already mostly public, in the UK and Ireland. It's also open to employers to vet you with you permission already. So long as permission remains a feature, I wouldn't have a problem with this. I think it could be a good thing.

That's what I thought when I read it... No doubt someone will knock a website out of it along the lines of: www.Check-Out-Your-Fish-And-make-Sure-He-Isnt-A-Madman.com or something like that! Sure all the info is already publically available as you said, Jasus as a Web Developer I could be onto something here haha! :D:D:D

That's what I thought when I read it... No doubt someone will knock a website out of it along the lines of: www.Check-Out-Your-Fish-And-make-Sure-He-Isnt-A-Madman.com or something like that! Sure all the info is already publically available as you said, Jasus as a Web Developer I could be onto something here haha! :D:D:D

You do development, I'll handle legal, I'll have my people call your people, we'll run it up the kitchen floor and have some blue-sky number crunching or something. We'll be the anti-Craig's List :pac:

You do development, I'll handle legal, I'll have my people call your people, we'll run it up the kitchen floor and have some blue-sky number crunching or something. We'll be the anti-Craig's List :pac:

I'm tellin' ya, we might laugh now, but I bet ya some fúcker will be doing it this time next year and will be drinking Cocktails on the back of a Royal Carribean cruise ship somewhere with a mot each side of him, while you and I will be still on here cribbing and ****ing moaning about the state of the economy lol! :D;):D

• Advertisement

I'm tellin' ya, we might laugh now, but I bet ya some fúcker will be doing it this time next year and will be drinking Cocktails on the back of a Royal Carribean cruise ship somewhere with a mot each side of him, while you and I will be still on here cribbing and ****ing moaning about the state of the economy lol! :D;):D

Already available in the US I think. You pay-per-search, though I think that's a statutory fee rather than a commercial service. The "Sarah's Law" info. is also available, though obviously that's a little different.

Already available in the US I think. You pay-per-search, though I think that's a statutory fee rather than a commercial service. The "Sarah's Law" info. is also available, though obviously that's a little different.

I have the domain name already lol, www.larrymurphy.com

Edit: fúck, it's taken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

The proposal comes amid concerns that women are increasingly meeting men via the internet and have little or no knowledge of their pasts.

How is that different to meeting someone down the pub? Oh wait, because this is the internet we have to be nannied; we can't just all use some common sense and act like responsible adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Can you imagine meeting someone down the pub and doing this

Guy: So ehh..wanna come back to my place? ;););)
    Girl: Yeah sure. Can we stop at the Garda station on the way so I can do a background check on you first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Guy: So ehh..wanna come back to my place? ;););)
    Girl: Yeah sure. Can we stop at the Garda station on the way so I can do a background check on you first?

I'd assume that meant she was kinky and wanted to play cops and robbers :P:pac:

• Advertisement

I'd assume that meant she was kinky and wanted to play cops and robbers :P:pac:

Wouldn't happen me lads, I never put out on a first date lol! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

If you ever date a garda lads she might have already done the background check on you!:D I heard a story recently that "allegedly" a fem Garda was caught running a check on the phone details of her ex-bf.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    If you ever date a garda lads she might have already done the background check on you!:D I heard a story recently that "allegedly" a fem Garda was caught running a check on the phone details of her ex-bf.

I'd run a mile from a Garda in any event, can't do the public sector worker thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I'd run a mile from a Garda in any event, can't do the public sector worker thing.

Might be good for an ould roide though. I'd expect them to be fairly good in bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I signed up on POF today, wish me luck :pac::pac:

If any boardsies come across my profile do say Hi:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Seriously getting fed up of this online dating and the morons on there - no offence folks but as most of you are younger than me we wont have chatted! :D

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the other two were in the UK
    This bugs the hell out of me. I only want matches in Ireland, but every so often, a match comes up from the UK :rolleyes:
    Woman goes into the toilets. Takes out iPhone, checks your record, your address, how much your house is worth on daft.ie and then comes back to you?
    Tory MP Robert Buckland, a member of the Commons Justice Committee, warned there would have to be "strict controls" on such a system.

He told Sky News: "My concern is that we don't end up with a system that could allow people carte blanche to turn up at the police station and go on some sort of fishing expedition to find out the background of a person they may or may not want to go out with."
    Makes ID theft that little bit easier...
    Dovies wrote: »
    Any other suggestions?
    What age range are you? 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, 70+ ?

Some dating sites seem cater to particular age groups.

the_syco wrote: »

What age range are you? 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, 70+ ?

Some dating sites seem cater to particular age groups.

42. Yeah have noticed that all right.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Just on the background checking...

Might be a naive question but what exactly can they find out? As in I persume they can't access finanical/medical records so what else is there.

If they look up the price of your house so are likly to be more interest in money, would that not be fairly obvious from just talking to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mailed a guy yesterday. In his first response he asked me out. Actually tempted to say yes. :eek:

• Advertisement

Right, I got one coffee date set up plus my next door neighbor asked me out earlier.:)
    Now I'm nervous:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

fair play to next door neighbour, thats ballsy!

zuroph wrote: »

I know:p I was quite surprised as I never really get asked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Dovies wrote: »
    Seriously getting fed up of this online dating and the morons on there - no offence folks but as most of you are younger than me we wont have chatted! :D

Any other suggestions?

Have you tried making the first move and contacting the guys you are interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Good to know your neighbours eh?! I'm still not sure who lives next door. they moved in a week or two ago and I've seen their visitors come and go, but not them.
    Best of luck with the date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

zuroph wrote: »

what?? i'm sitting here rubbing my eyes wondering what the hell i've gotten myself into now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I may be rejoining you guys..... or I may just stay away from the dating sites... who knows :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I had a REALLY bad date with a garda - its in the worst date thread.

I share a house with one now and he just likes the roide, shame he picks girls with accents who dont stfu... keeping me awake :mad:

Anyone wrote: »
    Have you tried making the first move and contacting the guys you are interested in?

Yes - I have no problem making the first move and have done. Deleted thanks/no thanks! Anyone would think I was a troll (Im not seriously) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Date #3 is on hiatus 'til herself recovers properly. No point rushing.
    Web chats FTW :P
    If #3 does go ahead I'll stop reporting after that as it's not really online dating anymore...
    Anyway, got that elusive second date (of sorts), so this is a personal best record for me re: online dating :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement