Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I've been on the online dating scene a few months now and I've found it to be hit and miss.It's very inconsistent,like sometimes I'll get no messages for weeks and other times I'll get several at once.Every now and then you come across a gem but more often than not it's some who either speaks in text lanaguage or sends a "Hi,how are you?" opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I got a nice meeting from someone that said hi. Will reply to a hi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Damn damn damn damn damn............

Got a mail from a girl on A.F., one who has been giving me no info at all, one who I've been mailing more out of boredom than anything else. Nothing serious or anything like that, so I'm not bothered. BUT while I was online, replying to her I noticed a newbie that had viewed my profile so I had a looksee at hers and decided to mail her.

Now I'm sitting on tenterhooks cos I noticed she also sent a wink in my direction.

Dammit, I wanted a few more weeks off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yous have to start being picky lads. Don't just hop at any girl who looks your direction. Maybe even brush of a few advances. Nothing puts the ego to new heights like politely dismissing a few ladies advances*.

*Works on nights out, too. Brush off a few young wans who are obviously just playing with lads heads. See how it feels to play their game!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

discus wrote: »
    Yous have to start being picky lads. Don't just hop at any girl who looks your direction. Maybe even brush of a few advances. Nothing puts the ego to new heights like politely dismissing a few ladies advances*.

*Works on nights out, too. Brush off a few young wans who are obviously just playing with lads heads. See how it feels to play their game!

I'm sorry mate, but this is terrible advice.

Not all girls/guys play games.

• Advertisement

Ah I'm just annoyed that I logged back in and am semi hopeful. Cos she is kinda cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

gatecrash wrote: »
    Ah I'm just annoyed that I logged back in and am semi hopeful. Cos she is kinda cute!

Fingers crossed for ya hun :)

i'm the one taking a break from it all now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I've only a few days left on my match subscription, and have cancelled the renewal thing in advance. Reckon I should email every guy indiscriminately and go out in a blaze of glory. 30 year age gaps? Live in another country? No problem to me this week! :pac:

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm sorry mate, but this is terrible advice.

Not all girls/guys play games.

It's not a game.

People smell desperation better than dogs smell fear. Lets face it, the number of girls you approach =/= the number of potential women you could have a successful relationship. It doesn't even equal the number of potential people you could get along with after an hours' company.

So, cut the future deadwood. Unless you are head over heels about a girl, let her float on bye. Too many people try to force it, as if one can take some "dating tips" and "relationship advice" and make it happen with anyone. Hence the constant fizzling and such.

I'll concede this: It's not good to shoot down people to boost the ego. That was slightly tongue in cheek.

Unless you are head over heels about a girl, let her float on bye. Too many people try to force it

On the other hand, it just genuinely takes some people longer to make up their mind if they like someone or not - I've gone on a few dates before just to see how I felt, and in one case decided they weren't for me at all, and in another grew to like the guy quite a bit.

• Advertisement

I've only a few days left on my match subscription, and have cancelled the renewal thing in advance. Reckon I should email every guy indiscriminately and go out in a blaze of glory. 30 year age gaps? Live in another country? No problem to me this week! :pac:

Hi...... How YOU Doing!!

Seriously hoping you are neither 5 nor 65, by the way!! :)

On the other hand, it just genuinely takes some people longer to make up their mind if they like someone or not - I've gone on a few dates before just to see how I felt, and in one case decided they weren't for me at all, and in another grew to like the guy quite a bit.

Really?

I'm going to go all happy luvy duvy here, but does/did no one else get that instant "wow, she's amazing", can't-stop-looking-at-her, butterflies type thing when you find someone that yer mad about? The instantaneous hit to the brain that makes you want to spend every second with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It's not a game.

People smell desperation better than dogs smell fear.
    Sounds like a bit of a generalization in my opinion.
    How many lads can "smell desperation" from girls looking to hook up or whatever the intentions are on any given night out? It would be a handy 6th sense to have for manys a lad I'm sure, but I don't/can't speak for anyone other than myself here but I sure as hell can't tell the girls that are out there desperately looking to meet their "one and only" or whatever from the ones that are not desperate.

For what its worth, I don't think girls have this 6th sense ability to sus out from which lads that approach them who the desperate ones are from those who are not either, a broad generalization here on my part would be to suggest that on a typical night out, a girl will have more lads approach them than a guy would have girls approach them, a girl's ability to sus out which lads are chancing their arm from those who are more genuine might be slightly greater to a guy's ability. Broadly speaking of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The enchilda's thing works again. :)

Having a conversation with a girl who say her enchilada's are better than mine. Have her convinced that I was entered into a world enchilada cooking competition and that I won it.

I don't like starting off a conversation on a web of lies and deceit but this is just golden. :pac:

Hi...... How YOU Doing!!

5 and 3/4 actually! And if my parents find out I've hacked through their child-safe password protector thingies, I'm in big trouble. Although they might be pleased I can spell big words. :D

Really?

I'm going to go all happy luvy duvy here, but does/did no one else get that instant "wow, she's amazing", can't-stop-looking-at-her, butterflies type thing when you find someone that yer mad about? The instantaneous hit to the brain that makes you want to spend every second with her?

It sounds nice in theory, but I tend to be a slow burner on the whole lurve thing. Lust, on the other hand... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

those feckers at match,com don't get me started. charged me for a second month I never wanted, am supposed to get a refund but not holding my breath.

edit: took photos down. although having blocked half of what was on both sites I am banking on something new to come along.

Hi...... How YOU Doing!!

5 and 3/4 actually! And if my parents find out I've hacked through their child-safe password protector thingies, I'm in big trouble. Although they might be pleased I can spell big words. :D

You could be using spell check!!

I'd better stop contacting you if you're only a kid though........ Don't want to be accused of being a paedo bear carrier, or of being in the ccarholic church!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Just got another message that just says "hi" and with a subject of "Insert your subject line here" ........... why do I even bother if the girls who contact me don't :confused:

Maybe it's time to delete my account :mad:

You could be using spell check!!

I'd better stop contacting you if you're only a kid though........ Don't want to be accused of being a paedo bear carrier, or of being in the ccarholic church!! ;-)

My birth cert says '82, so I'm pretty sure that makes me 5 and 3/4, right? Althought there is a slight chance that my numeracy isn't as good as my spelling...

• Advertisement

My birth cert says '82, so I'm pretty sure that makes me 5 and 3/4, right? Althought there is a slight chance that my numeracy isn't as good as my spelling...

Oh I dunno, I only learned to count past 10 when my sock got a hole in it!

New online dating tactic: log on, forget you're still online and wander off to read in the bath for a while, and come back to new emails from promising gentlemen.

It really does seem to be easier to be female. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

New online dating tactic: log on, forget you're still online and wander off to read in the bath for a while, and come back to new emails from promising gentlemen.

If only it was as easy for the guy as well the world would be such a better place :P
    Have any of these so-called promising gentlemen managed to captivate your attention yet?

I realise that sounds a bit show-offy, I forgot to mention that I have an excellent track record of scaring them all away again with my email replies! :o

El_Drago wrote: »
    Have any of these so-called promising gentlemen managed to captivate your attention yet?

I'm not one of those mean people who ignores emails, if someone has put any bit of effort into a first email I always reply. Tis only fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I'm not one of those mean people who ignores emails, if someone has put any bit of effort into a first email I always reply. Tis only fair!

I thin it's unfair to class people who choose not to reply mean! It's at their own discretion just like choosing to mail someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

I must be a mean one then.... message received 'Hi like your profile'........ and their own profile is one line long, no pic....... errr what am i even suppposed to write back?? Throw me a bone at least........ gah!

MudSkipper wrote: »
    I must be a mean one then.... message received 'Hi like your profile'........ and their own profile is one line long, no pic....... errr what am i even suppposed to write back?? Throw me a bone at least........ gah!

To be honest, i don't think anyone would reply to that.

And i'm firmly in the rsvp camp!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

MudSkipper wrote: »

I wouldn't reply to that either! I only reply to mails that I genuinely think are good, they have a good profile and would be interested in chatting to them.

The debate about replying/not replying has been done to death in this thread.

People who don't reply are not mean!

• Advertisement

Misticles wrote: »
    I wouldn't reply to that either!

The debate about replying/not replying has been done to death in this thread.

People who don't reply are not mean!

Agreed, but it's something that will always crop up.

I think it's just the small level of hope that takes a while to dwindle away, and a chap is hanging on, hoping that his witty initial mail will result in a response and a date etc......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement