Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

gatecrash wrote: »
    I think it's just the small level of hope that takes a while to dwindle away, and a chap is hanging on, hoping that his witty initial mail will result in a response and a date etc......

Well it wont!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Dovies wrote: »
    Well it wont!! :D

Minor detail! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

gatecrash wrote: »
    Minor detail! :)

So hows your quest coming>

Shuddering to a less than graceful halt to be honest!! :D

Going to hold to my self imposed ban from the sites for a while longer, cos when i was trying to compose the mail to that newbie cutie the other day my heart just wasn't in it and i know it came across as totally disinterested!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I think it is very rude not to reply to someones message (except if they were very rude or sleasy).

I'd rather a "sorry but I'm not interested" than hearing nothing at all. It's kind of like applying for a job and the receiver doesn't even acknowledge you applied :mad:

Just got a message on POF asking if I was a boardsie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

kingtut wrote: »
    I'd rather a "sorry but I'm not interested" than hearing nothing at all. It's kind of like applying for a job and the receiver doesn't even acknowledge you applied :mad:

This topic will be discussed forever however if you go through this thread and look at one of my recent posts you will see why I no longer reply to those Im not interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Dovies wrote: »
    This topic will be discussed forever however if you go through this thread and look at one of my recent posts you will see why I no longer reply to those Im not interested in!

Out of how many replies did you get that response Dovies? Or any woman who replies with the thanks/no thanks. Just wondering is that sort of thing the norm is all.

It also reminds me of this:

Internet Dating:
    (1) Single
    (2) Atrractive
    (3) Mentally Stable

Pick 2

Anyone wrote: »
    Out of how many replies did you get that response Dovies? Or any woman who replies with the thanks/no thanks. Just wondering is that sort of thing the norm is all.

Internet Dating:
    (1) Single
    (2) Atrractive
    (3) Mentally Stable

Pick 2

That's a toughie..... :o

feck it, my last girlfriend only met one of those criteria!!

She was single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

what i heard it as:

1) Smart
    2) Attractive
    3) Mentally stable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

what i heard it as:

1) Smart
    2) Attractive
    3) Mentally stable

Thats real life dating :D

I'd like to think I'm all 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Anyone wrote: »

Internet Dating:
    (1) Single
    (2) Atrractive
    (3) Mentally Stable

Pick 2

I'm definitely two of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Somebody on OKC twigged that I was a boardsie. If you're reading this... How'ya. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I'm not one of those mean people who ignores emails, if someone has put any bit of effort into a first email I always reply. Tis only fair!
    Misticles wrote: »
    I thin it's unfair to class people who choose not to reply mean! It's at their own discretion just like choosing to mail someone!
    MudSkipper wrote: »
    I must be a mean one then.... message received 'Hi like your profile'........ and their own profile is one line long, no pic....... errr what am i even suppposed to write back?? Throw me a bone at least........ gah!

So sorry, didn't mean to cause offense! I don't reply to those less than half-arsed (quarter-arsed?) ones either. I just think that if someone has obviously put a bit of effort into an email, it's worth a reply whether to just acknowledge their effort / see if you could build a bit of genuine rapport with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Got a pm yesterday, all it said was 'I'm a latex fashion model'. Dunno if that's supposed to be a good 'selling point':confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Kya1976 wrote: »
    Got a pm yesterday, all it said was 'I'm a latex fashion model'. Dunno if that's supposed to be a good 'selling point':confused:
    ...........RUN!!!!!!!!!...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I used to be on POF but I found a lot of the profiles to consist of:

I don't want this...
    I don't want that..
    Don't bother contacting if you are ugly..
    I don't like men that...
    On a date I want to be brought.. (insert ridiculous first date demands)

They really don't sell themselves in any way! So I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

The weekends must be the busy time on the dating sites as after it went a bit quiet all of a sudden I got a few messages yesterday.

I am starting to recognise the generic copy and paste messages though. I got one message from someone preteding to be really impressed with my profile, but they obviously hadn't even read it. I had put in the profile that I would like to meet people who lived in or near my area and this person is from a few hundred miles away :rolleyes: :p He also didn't refer to anything specific in my profile.

Some people seem to send persistent "flirts" to people they see are online, or new people, again without reading the profile. It seems odd, as what if they turned out not to like the person the sent a flirt/message to? I remember some people here saying they would get a message and reply and then never hear from the person again. I wonder is it that they got a message from someone who didn't bother to read their profile, and then after replying to the message the person (who had made first contact) would then go and read the profile and decide they were not interested?

I also got my first "hi" message a few days ago so now I have definitely arrived properly on the internet dating scene :p

py2006 wrote: »
    I used to be on POF but I found a lot of the profiles to consist of:

I don't want this...
    I don't want that..
    Don't bother contacting if you are ugly..
    I don't like men that...
    On a date I want to be brought.. (insert ridiculous first date demands)

They really don't sell themselves in any way! So I gave up.
    Yup, I've seen that too.
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna delete my profile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Yup, I've seen that too.
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna delete my profile.

nooooooo. go on your date with the fireman first at least!

nooooooo. go on your date with the fireman first at least!
    Well yea, that's a given:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    The weekends must be the busy time on the dating sites as after it went a bit quiet all of a sudden I got a few messages yesterday.

Ha ha, I was on POF for a few weeks. I noticed that Sunday was a very busy day. Women going out and getting the same old tired lines and grab ass tactics turning to a possible white knight online.

Well yea, that's a given:D:pac:

I bet he's not a fireman. If I was trying to trick girls online I'd be a fireman, doctor, pilot or Rugby player

It's funny...what profession do men go for? Strippers...not really for dating. Men and women are so different

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I bet he's not a fireman.
    Please don't ruin my fantasy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I bet he's not a fireman. If I was trying to trick girls online I'd be a fireman, doctor, pilot or Rugby player

It's funny...what profession do men go for? Strippers...not really for dating. Men and women are so different

Given she met him doing his job as a fireman (Kya I'm a friendly online stalker...I swear :pac:), she can be pretty safe in assuming he is one!

The professions thing is pretty pointless to talk about. You tend to go for the people you happen to meet in life through work, college etc or who share your interests. Teachers meet teachers, doctors meet doctors. I like slightly nerdy, quirky who are fit/healthy people so teachers, librarians etc are on average the type of person I seem to go for.

Given she met him doing his job as a fireman (Kya I'm a friendly online stalker...I swear :pac:), she can be pretty safe in assuming he is one!

The professions thing is pretty pointless to talk about. You tend to go for the people you happen to meet in life through work, college etc or who share your interests. Teachers meet teachers, doctors meet doctors. I like slightly nerdy, quirky who are fit/healthy people so teachers, librarians etc are on average the type of person I seem to go for.
    lol stalk away:pac:

I agree, that always seem to be the case:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

*deletes profiles*

;)

Sorry, I seem to be in a bad mood today! My friend met a girl on POF and she's completely messing him around now. He was in a long term relationship, has been single for about 9 months and started seeing her 2 months ago. He's taken a very strong liking to her. She's now decided to get back with her ex but keeps showing up at his door late at night for a talk and cuddle. Seems manipulative to me and has me kind of pissed off.

I suppose it could have happened in the real world rather than online too but with his experience now and mine. I'm not a fan!

Also strangely, a girl tried to jump me last night after I held a door open for her, rather than be complimented by it, I feel bad that there's a girl in the world like that who would try to kiss a guy who just hold a f'in door open for her. rant over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well one less fish on POF. just nuked the profile and will probably nuke to OKC one soon enough. the former was where i got the good date, but it is very negative site overall.

It is the lack of replies that is a big turn off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement