Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

You know the guy hasn't put me off trying to meet someone on the site but I am definitely going back there with a new perspective!

I felt so uncomfortable when he was laying on the compliments thick & fast- like he was just saying things he thought I wanted to hear! He kept going on about his flashy lifestyle & all the flashy bars he goes to- in my head I kept thinking, "I just want a fella to have a couple of beers & a curry with, while watching It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia & then a nice shag & a cuddle!" non of this "i live the life of a professional rugby player" sh*t.

Is that so much to ask for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

formatting cockup will fix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

LollieB wrote: »
    You know the guy hasn't put me off trying to meet someone on the site but I am definitely going back there with a new perspective!

I felt so uncomfortable when he was laying on the compliments thick & fast- like he was just saying things he thought I wanted to hear! He kept going on about his flashy lifestyle & all the flashy bars he goes to- in my head I kept thinking, "I just want a fella to have a couple of beers & a curry with, while watching It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia & then a nice shag & a cuddle!" non of this "i live the life of a professional rugby player" sh*t.

How u doin? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I'm pretty sure women would rather not be refered to as "Something"

the something doesnt refer to the lady, it r.efers to what one has with the lady

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Ah, snap, I was also thinking that I just really wanted someone to hang out with, and at least at the beginning start nice and easy. I met someone quite intense on my first "internet" date, mind you the second date was even worse, the less said about that the better :rolleyes:
    Lippy C
    Hey lon i can tell you if its like pulling teeth then he proberly is not being honest with you proberely got gf/wife...

I don't think that is it, though it could be. He just moved here (I think this is true as I know where he is working and they recruited people very recently). I would guess that he was bored/lonely over the weekend and messaged a lot of people on the site (and maybe other sites also) and is finding it hard to keep up with the messaging, and might prefer other people to me so is prioritising them, but not absolutely ruling me out either. So keeping me on the backburner in case he gets desperate :D;)

He might also be embarrassed, as I have an ongoing illness (which I mention in the profile) which would put loads of people off, but he may not have read my profile before messaging me, and might now be too embarrassed to admit this, or admit that he cannot cope with the idea of it. (This is the vibe I am getting right now)

I'm not too bothered but don't feel like making too much effort (even for friendship) if he is not going to reciprocate. I might put him out of his misery tomorrow and suggest we might be better as friends and then just leave the ball in his court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

had my first date from a dating website yesterday, not good at all i'm afraid to say! I thought I was on the a good thing- we had been emailing & texting back & forth, pretty in depth. He asked me out, I agreed & here I am back to the drawing board.

He got pretty intense & starting telling me how he could really see himself falling for me & how a woman like me could make him completely happy, which i supposed is nice but kind of freaked me out. He said he hoped I wasn't emailing anyone else and that I would hve to deactivate my account when "things progressed".

How old was this guy? It sounds very similar to a phone conversation my friend had with someone she met online. He was in his early 40's I think. Scared her right off!

I'm now set free from the land of internet dating. \0/

Good luck everyone! :) It does work, just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

OK back to the world of internet dating for me after 6 month break:(. Ah sure what can yeh do but get back up on the horse as they say. From this thread ive been hearing a lot about OKC but have never tried it. Might give it a go tommorrow. Do people really find it better than pof? Also any tips for OKC?Also im 27 would I get many in around my age group on OKC? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

IT-Guy wrote: »
    How u doin? :p

I'm doing good baby, how you doin'? :D

Larianne- tbh I'm not sure how old he was. He told me he was 26 but, on meeting him, I really got the feeling he was lying! I don't feel freaked out now but during the date, I seriously considered getting my friend to call me & do the whole "something bad has happened". In the end, I couldn't stop myself from telling him directly that it was going nowhere.

I just got a text from him, in the middle of last night, asking me for a second chance as he wasn't happy that I didn't even consider a 2nd date with him.

Should i reply and politely but firmly say no or ignore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I'm doing good baby, how you doin'? :D

Larianne- tbh I'm not sure how old he was. He told me he was 26 but, on meeting him, I really got the feeling he was lying! I don't feel freaked out now but during the date, I seriously considered getting my friend to call me & do the whole "something bad has happened". In the end, I couldn't stop myself from telling him directly that it was going nowhere.

I just got a text from him, in the middle of last night, asking me for a second chance as he wasn't happy that I didn't even consider a 2nd date with him.

Should i reply and politely but firmly say no or ignore?

I'd ignore the middle of the night text. If you respond he could see it as you opening up the avenues of communication again and that he might be able to get you to change your mind. You've already told him 'No', so I'd leave it at that. The middle of the night text COULD be a drunken stupid text....

If he gets in touch AGAIN, then reply with a very firm 'I already told you it's not going anywhere, there is no point in meeting up again, please delete my number'

No matter how stupid and dumb us lads are, even we can understand that!!!

Larianne wrote: »
    How old was this guy? It sounds very similar to a phone conversation my friend had with someone she met online. He was in his early 40's I think. Scared her right off!

I'm now set free from the land of internet dating. \0/

Good luck everyone! :) It does work, just not for me.

Retiring altogether from it Lari, or just taking a couple of months off??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Set up a new username for this one. Hoping to get a female perspective on my OKC Profile. I've seen it suggested earlier in the the thread. But I cant remember if anyone actually did it. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just wondering how many have pics up. I do - have a few and all recent! I find some people wont reply if you dont have a pic up which is fair enough - saves the embarassment of you sending one later and then not hearing from them again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

My advice would be to have a picture up having said that,Ive messaged girls in the past that had no pictures up but a decent profile.

Picture.

Always

Unless i get a mail from someone without a picture i tend to just skip over the profile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I've never tries Internet dating but I've always been curious how it works for other people?
    I would be worried the person you're chatting to might not be them at all, and personally I could never date somebody who I knew was directly looking for a relationship. Pretty much all of my relationships have been just upgraded from friends! :p

Also - I don't think I'd be comfortable putting my photo up on the Internet. The idea of men sifting through womens pictures online, being like "oh I'll take that one" kind of creeps me out.

(not all, just the asshole) Men are already forward/shallow enough in real life, and I'd imagine this is worse online - people will say whatever they want in an email...

I don't know. Am I completely wrong?? Does this work for you guys

Also - I don't think I'd be comfortable putting my photo up on the Internet. The idea of men sifting through womens pictures online, being like "oh I'll take that one" kind of creeps me out.

(not all, just the asshole) Men are already forward/shallow enough in real life, and I'd imagine this is worse online - people will say whatever they want in an email...

Women do it too - thats how online dating works. Its okay if you have friends to introduce you to people but some of us dont.

You just have to make sure your creep detector is working - sometimes its broken but that happens IRL too!

I've never tries Internet dating but I've always been curious how it works for other people?
    I would be worried the person you're chatting to might not be them at all, and personally I could never date somebody who I knew was directly looking for a relationship. Pretty much all of my relationships have been just upgraded from friends! :p

Different strokes for different folks. I'm at an age where i want a relationship, and see where it goes from there. I'm not talking proposing marriage by the second date, but if i'm gonna invest time in a relationship then i'd like the other person to at least be in the same ball park

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Men check out women on a night out too...as I'd imagine women check out guys. Also no offense meant here but if you are single and ALL of your relationships have been with friends, maybe it's time to try something different because the other relationships didn't last?

Too harsh?

Also men being forward and shallow is an unfair generalization. Women are at least equally shallow! And at least the guys being forward is honesty, you know they are wasting your time and you don't have to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

Ive been creeping on this thread for ages so thought I'd join in. Im only on okc and after about a month I'm considering admitting defeat.

I think I must be doing it wrong, been mailing a good few lads but so far not a pip out of them looking for a date, and these are long conversations that don't go stale IMO. Do ladies usually do the asking?

On the photo point, definitely put one up! Speaking for myself I've mailed back people who I don't find particularly attractive in a physical sense because theyve had a great opening message/ profile, but very rarely mail back someone with no photo, it guess I feel a bit like if you get to see my photos then why the hell shouldn't I see yours. And really you should put up more than one photo, I might be on my own here but i way rather 2/3 photos. One can be VERY deceiving

I think I must be doing it wrong, been mailing a good few lads but so far not a pip out of them looking for a date, and these are long conversations that don't go stale IMO. Do ladies usually do the asking?

There are no hard and fast rules. If you hang about and wait you will be left waiting. Ask one out for a drink or coffee - you have nothing to lose. If he says no then move on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im sure most men,on here and in the real world would agree that a lady taking the initiative is more than welcome Jenny.As Dovies said,the worst they can say is no,least you wont be wasting your time mailing back and forth indefinitly!

Im sure most men,on here and in the real world would agree that a lady taking the initiative is more than welcome Jenny.As Dovies said,the worst they can say is no,least you wont be wasting your time mailing back and forth indefinitly!

+1

gatecrash wrote: »
    Retiring altogether from it Lari, or just taking a couple of months off??

Deleted both accounts. For the moment, I'm out.
    Dovies wrote: »
    Just wondering how many have pics up. I do - have a few and all recent! I find some people wont reply if you dont have a pic up which is fair enough - saves the embarassment of you sending one later and then not hearing from them again! :D

I think 3 is a good number. It should definitely be more than one.
    Ive been creeping on this thread for ages so thought I'd join in. Im only on okc and after about a month I'm considering admitting defeat.

A month is a very short space of time. It takes a while to figure out how to get into the swing of it.

All bar one date I asked the guy out. And I had contacted them all.

How long do these conversations on go for? You're better chatting for a few days and then asking to meet up rather than dragging it out over weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

yep, agree on the not mailing for too long before arranging meet-ups... they become pen-pals (aka friendzone) all too quick.

Had the shortest date ever yesterday, 25mins, one drink. Nice girl, but no spark :( Oh well onwards n upwards :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

Dovies wrote: »
    There are no hard and fast rules. If you hang about and wait you will be left waiting. Ask one out for a drink or coffee - you have nothing to lose. If he says no then move on!

I know you're right, theres just still this little voice in the back of my head wanting the guy to be all 'manly' and ask first. I'm obviously such a coward and should have kicked that voice out the day I joined the online dating world. Just started chatting to a promising one so I'm going to see how it goes for a few days and then maybe ask :cool:
    Larianne wrote: »

How long do these conversations on go for? You're better chatting for a few days and then asking to meet up rather than dragging it out over weeks.

Theres one that's been going on since day one, it's like pulling teeth now, I think the only reason I'm keeping it going now is to see who's going to crack first, OKC chicken should be a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I couldn't be bothered with conversations that go on for days, just meet and get it over with.
    Saying that I joined pof on a Thursday had a date lined up for sunday!! I had guys asking me out for the rest of the week also. I liked the guy so much from the Sunday that I cancelled everyone else and deleted my account after 4 days :)
    I was on pof last year as well and in my experience if you just have contact via email or chat the guy is never going to want to meet up.the sooner you meet up the better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Awkward good byes are very awkward.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

humph, my OKC account was deleted... I dont recall... pof it is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Kya1976 wrote: »

do you shake hands, pat on the back, ...... <_<

• Advertisement

Kya1976 wrote: »