Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

newbee22 wrote: »
    I can't find the message from the 59 year old:(:(Devestated!

The old dog :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I was reading a post over on AH about the people cheating on their wives/husbands, which got me thinking about the perception / urban myth / firmly held beliefs out there that dating sites are full of married people looking for affairs. When I started online dating, one of my friends told me I was to examine ring fingers closely for any dents from a recently removed wedding ring. (She didn't add any advice on how to do this subtly!)

I really firmly believe that every guy I've met in person was genuinely single. Have I just been lucky or do you reckon the stories about married people on dating sites are exaggerated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I was reading a post over on AH about the people cheating on their wives/husbands, which got me thinking about the perception / urban myth / firmly held beliefs out there that dating sites are full of married people looking for affairs. When I started online dating, one of my friends told me I was to examine ring fingers closely for any dents from a recently removed wedding ring. (She didn't add any advice on how to do this subtly!)

I really firmly believe that every guy I've met in person was genuinely single. Have I just been lucky or do you reckon the stories about married people on dating sites are exaggerated?

I'd say to be more wary of those profiles that don't have a pic up. No pic can sometimes be taken to mean something to hide. And a wife and kids would be something to hide!! :D

I'd say if a guy has a pic up, he's probably genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

What age group do you meet? I'd say that would increase or decrease the chances of meeting married men/women.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Larianne wrote: »
    . Before I deleted my account, my brother came up as a match. We have never spoken of it. :o :pac:

So much in common... ESPECIALLY DNA ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I also believe every guy i met when dating was single. I never bothered looking at ring fingers. But then again i never did anything i was suposed to. I didnt have get out plans, or meet in daylight, etc. All the things your so called friends tell you to do, because they're worried, but in reality it means they would never be on a dating site and say it out of smugness!!!!
    Im sure there are marrried men on the sites, but maybe its my naiviety that has never seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

What age group do you meet? I'd say that would increase or decrease the chances of meeting married men/women.

There are lots of marrieds online and most of them are pretty up front about it. Just look on POF at the ones looking for an 'intimate encounter' - most of them say they are married and some even have their pics up which is quite odd!! Yes I would imagine they are their real pics because if they weren't they would have posted WAAAYY better looking ones! :D

Late 20s to late 30s, so possibly still a little young to be bored of marraige already (one would hope!).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Wow this thread has become huge! I’ve was reading it a few weeks ago and then when i looked back suddenly there were 6000 posts! I’ve found it really interesting hearing about so many normal people trying out online dating and reading about how you've all gotten on. It's something I’ve been considering for a while and i can honestly say this thread has done a lot to remove any notion i had that online dating was weird.

I just wanted to wish you all good luck and say that i might be joining you once i read another 3 thousand posts! :D

uglyjohn wrote: »
    Wow this thread has become huge! I’ve was reading it a few weeks ago and then when i looked back suddenly there were 6000 posts! I’ve found it really interesting hearing about so many normal people trying out online dating and reading about how you've all gotten on. It's something I’ve been considering for a while and i can honestly say this thread has done a lot to remove any notion i had that online dating was weird.

I just wanted to wish you all good luck and say that i might be joining you once i read another 3 thousand posts! :D

What are you waiting for? Take the plunge now and then come back and let us know how you got on! Think of all those lovely ladies/gents that may be snapped up while you delay. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Hi there

I very recently decided to use an online dating site, I mean I did up a profile and started to have a search. I used Okupid as I had been told it was pretty good. As I'm currently living in the West or Ireland I did a search for potential matches in that region. I was a little disappointed in the amount of search results that came back. I am thinking do many people use that particular site in general? Is it the fact the population out West is much smaller than Dublin so that reflects the amount of search results? Or does the site scan your profile and match you up with it's best matches? I have tried to do a wild card search but still the amount of results is low. I also ensured my search parameters were not too narrow.

Anyone any thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

gosh, im having better luck on POF this time :D
    got chatting to 2 nice guys yesterday and we're still mailing today! ''i had sent the messages first, one was to a pictureless profile and got lucky ;)''
    Then got 6 new mails this evening (a few weird ones of course :rolleyes:) and 50 meet me's but most are in dublin, sheesh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

On the topic of cheating/infidelity, interesting article I read yesterday, relating to monogamy (just barely on topic):
    http://www.salon.com/life/sex/index.html?story=/mwt/feature/2011/08/06/monogamy

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Some of those picture less guys turn out to be hotter than picture guys! Why are they hiding their piccies?!

newbee22 wrote: »
    Some of those picture less guys turn out to be hotter than picture guys! Why are they hiding their piccies?!

Why do guys do anything? If you try dating them with the expectation of figuring them out, you're doomed to failure! :D;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wondering if I should give this a go again and update my OKC profile....

Why do guys do anything? If you try dating them with the expectation of figuring them out, you're doomed to failure! :D;)

lol, couldnt have said it any better myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Maybe this is why I'm single!!!:o:o:o:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah, nothing like a confidence boost from having two sexy ladies contacting you first :)

Here's a question for you all. How far are you willing to travel for a first date from a website? Since I've got no car, I'm somewhat limited myself unfortunatly :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

still tipping away. had two chats going today, think I lost one after sending picture, but c'est la vie.

in all am in contact with three, possibly two.

• Advertisement

Here's a question for you all. How far are you willing to travel for a first date from a website? Since I've got no car, I'm somewhat limited myself unfortunatly :/

well if the lady is interested and has a car, she wont mind travelling to u, i guess depending on how far away u are ;)
    i once went on a date with a guy who also had no car. he lived 30 miles away from me and i travelled to him. i had been chatting to him for ages, so i didnt mind :)
    even thou we got on great, he was moving away so it never turned into anything :( but we're still friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

What's up with people adding you to their favourites and sending that "****** has added you to their favourites" mail without actually mailing you.

Reeks of creep. imo

What's up with people adding you to their favourites and sending that "****** has added you to their favourites" mail without actually mailing you.

Reeks of creep. imo

I did that once when I was new to OKC. I just thought it was a way of saving a profile for later. Then I realised the other person would find out and was like....sheeeeiiiit!

So there could be some people there who acted like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Reeks of creep. imo

Haha i think i've been doing that, I was just browsing profiles and that rating thingy comes up so i rate the ones i think look cute/interesting. Not feeling particularly witty enough to write a message right at that moment, Might come back to them ! :)

Reeks of creep. imo

lol, i was wondering the same :o
    but i hope what the lads just said applies to all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

liz2 wrote: »
    lol, i was wondering the same :o
    but i hope what the lads just said applies to all :pac:

Let's hope so, but you can click no when they ask if you want the person to know you've 'favourited' them, why not do it on the sly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Hey all,

Long time (not that long!) lurker on this thread.

Was on POF a year and half or so ago.

So I've just decided to register there for POF & OKC (only will use one of them though). Don't remember it being that laborious.

I haven't filled anything out yet as I'm going away shortly for a few weeks so I guess I might jump in when I get back....if I feel like actually filling out that stuff!

In the meantime, hope you all find what you're looking for on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Reeks of creep. imo

usually add someone to favorites if I am low on time and plan to mail them later. it is the site that sends the mail out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

usually add someone to favorites if I am low on time and plan to mail them later. it is the site that sends the mail out.

Just mail her later and don't bother with that?

• Advertisement

Let's hope so, but you can click no when they ask if you want the person to know you've 'favourited' them, why not do it on the sly?

Not everybody goes through the various options at the start. It is only when you get familiar with the site that you'd do that. A bit like how on Boards I have pimped my options as I got familiar with the site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement