Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Ok joined match.com. 25 winks already!!!! Think I will bask in the glory until the interest dries up and I am left alone again :(

Question for the guys, do you honestly appreciate a woman emailing you first/asking you on a date first? I've tried it a couple of times and got no reply so that's put me off a bit.
    Is the snapping turtle approach better? ;)

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. To be honest i'd be kinda flattered by the approach, unless it was an obvious copy-n-paste jobbie.

One of the sites i use has this 'feature' where you can send up to 500 people the same mail. Now THAT is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

gatecrash wrote: »
    One of the sites i use has this 'feature' where you can send up to 500 people the same mail. Now THAT is annoying

Yep and its obvious when someone has done this. DELETE!!

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep and its obvious when someone has done this. DELETE!!

that's why i described it with the whole inverted comma thing!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ok joined match.com. 25 winks already!!!! Think I will bask in the glory until the interest dries up and I am left alone again :(

Question for the guys, do you honestly appreciate a woman emailing you first/asking you on a date first? I've tried it a couple of times and got no reply so that's put me off a bit.

I will answer any and all who take time to message me, and that is not confined to dating sites, would also apply that to texts emails etc.

I am also of the view that I will not delete a "hi" message. I have found if you reply to them they will start to talk to you, I mean, they have agonised over a profile page, I don't expect them to agonise over each and every introductary message- some including me would be rubbish at introductions, yet good once a conversation gets going.

I will answer any and all who take time to message me, and that is not confined to dating sites, would also apply that to texts emails etc.

I am also of the view that I will not delete a "hi" message. I have found if you reply to them they will start to talk to you, I mean, they have agonised over a profile page, I don't expect them to agonise over each and every introductary message- some including me would be rubbish at introductions, yet good once a conversation gets going.

That's fair enough and the potential is there for a conversation etc, and to be honest i'd probably agree with you about the not deleting thing.

But that mail bomb thing? Delete straight away.

• Advertisement

gatecrash wrote: »
    That's fair enough and the potential is there for a conversation etc, and to be honest i'd probably agree with you about the not deleting thing.

But that mail bomb thing? Delete straight away.

yeah well you can pretty much recognise them. a quick look at the profile before replying also helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

ya, id reply to the 'hi' messages too if i like the look of their profile, usually the conversation flows from there ;) because some people really dont know what to say for the first mail..

aw, i hate the part where ur chatting away to someone, its going well and then 'crap, what do i say now'. your stuck for a topic of conversation :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Yeah I'm at that stage now with one guy on OKC, just checked and we have exchanged 25 messages with no mention of meeting, then again he is in Belfast and I am in Dublin so it's prob out of the question anyway.

Not sure where the conversation can go from here!!

Yeah I'm at that stage now with one guy on OKC, just checked and we have exchanged 25 messages with no mention of meeting, then again he is in Belfast and I am in Dublin so it's prob out of the question anyway.

Not sure where the conversation can go from here!!

First date in Dwaaaaaaaaaaaaaheda or Dundaaaaaaaawwwwwwwk??

Haha :D

Not sure it will even lead to a date tbh, no flirting really just looooong messages about random stuff!

Might start using the email that worked for you :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

^^ Ah a train ticket to Belfast is only €10 each way (€20 altogether) if you book in advance :)

Would be a nice day out; even if the guy isn't openly flirting with you or anything, he could still be interested. Take the initiative and give it a go, see if he wants to meet! (doesn't even have to be a 'date' specifically)

Haha :D

Not sure it will even lead to a date tbh, no flirting really just looooong messages about random stuff!

Might start using the email that worked for you :p

I think it was more total disillusionment than anything else made me come up with it"!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No no no no no............... that approach is only for me! If the girls do it then no one will mail me! :P

But seriously, as a guy it is quite nice to get mailed by a girl first... Well I say that but I keep getting messages containing one sentence or less.
    "Hi."
    "I like your pic"
    "Nice username!"
    "How r u?"
    Basically if you can fit it into the heading slot of the mail it's probably not worth sending.
    I have tended to notice that people whose mails are like this usually only have a sentence or two in their profiles (the first of which is usually telling you their name and the second of which is asking you to drop them a mail if you like the look/sound of them) so even if you wanted to you couldn't send them a decent response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Just made a match.com profile, now what? have pics and info in there, what do?

Galvasean wrote: »
    No no no no no............... that approach is only for me! If the girls do it then no one will mail me! :P

Too late!! I have already stopped browsing and am now lying in wait patiently :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

Too late!! I have already stopped browsing and am now lying in wait patiently :D

(shhh, ive been doing that too......:D)

hmmm...

Well if you get a "you're bloody gorgeous" message from one of my site alter ego's it's NOT a copy and paste!! :)

Hmm really cute guy just asked me for my facebook details, only chatting since yest. Do you guys give yours out?

Just thinking, loadsa drunken/stupid photos, photos of ex etc in my old albums. Arrgh what should I do?!

Hmm really cute guy just asked me for my facebook details, only chatting since yest. Do you guys give yours out?

Just thinking, loadsa drunken/stupid photos, photos of ex etc in my old albums. Arrgh what should I do?!

Chatting since yesterday? I wouldn't.

Leave it another few days of mailing/texting/even chatting on phone

And I'm not sure what age you are, but i think it's safe to assume that most people will have pics with an ex on our facebook profiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

This is not good people, I adopted the turtle approach too.... I havn't been online in a while though so I probably don't count.

I agree with gatecrash, your facebook has a lot of personal information on it, I've only been asked for it by two people, and only given it to one because we'd been talking for a good while.

• Advertisement

As a rule I only add people to facebook after I have met them. I have made exceptions to this, but that is as I feel that I know them well enough.

If you do want to add him to facebook, you can restrict his access to whatever you want, At present I have some people on my friend list who cannot see my other friends,

If they wanted me to add them as they find the messaging system easier, then you can do so but not let them see any of your profile page.

Yeah I agree I guess, just wondering what I can say back so it doesn't look like I'm not interested.

In his defense he did say he was totally new to the online dating thing and asked if it was allowed to ask for facebook details as he didn't really know what he was at or what the protocol was :D

Yeah I agree I guess, just wondering what I can say back so it doesn't look like I'm not interested.

In his defense he did say he was totally new to the online dating thing and asked if it as allowed to ask for facebook details as he didn't really know what he was at or what the protocol was :D

Fair enough so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Right, I got a date for Thursday night. We have decided to just play pool for a while.

Anybody know anywhere nice in town (Dublin :P) to play a few games?

Palace Pool Hall on Camden Street. Loads of tables, generally no need to book and you can play for ages. Full bar, service at the table and you want to keep the date going, loads of choice just outside the door.
    Break for the Border have loads of pool tables - don't know what it's like in the evenings though, I've only played on Saturday afternoons.

Great first date idea btw, I'm totally stealing it!

Unless they've put them back in just lately, BFTB doesn't have tables anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Recruiting in work at the moment. Remind me again what the difference is between screening CVs and holding first round interviews vs. screening profiles and going on first dates? I have a feeling it's inappropriate to offer money on one of them, but am having trouble remembering which...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Unless they've put them back in just lately, BFTB doesn't have tables anymore.

It's been a while since I was there, think I need to get out more!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Does anyone take notice of the questions on OKC? I'm finding myself put off by a lot of people based on their answers, a surprising number of women would prefer to have a child with a person of the same ethnicity as themselves! I mean... wtf!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Does anyone take notice of the questions on OKC? I'm finding myself put off by a lot of people based on their answers, a surprising number of women would prefer to have a child with a person of the same ethnicity as themselves! I mean... wtf!?

Including the Chinese girl who mailed my big white Irish áss :) I wouldn't stall at any one answer if you're otherwise attracted and compatible. If it's important, you can always ask directly later and decide then if it's a dealbreaker.

Ok, have a read/deleted on POF to the reply to the reply to the"You're bloody gorgeous" mail.

ONWARDS CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Or people who think the Earth is bigger than the Sun...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement