Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Have any posters actually had any success with online dating?

I did it for a while years and years ago and wouldn't do it agin, but am curious how you guys are faring.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I've had two dates (with the same guy) but wasn't really interested in taking it any further.

So, to answer your question, no!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've been on quite a few first dates that never led to anything else and one which led to a bit of a quasi-relationship (before she went nuts).

Galvasean wrote: »
    Anyone ever have any good experiences from that OKC rating thing? Got an email this morning to say 'one of these people rated you highly'. It was quite easy to hell who it was as she was the only person to view my page in the last few days :pac:
    Turns out it was a girl I viewed last night. Didn't send a mail as I was sleepy, she replies very selectively and sounds a bit picky (great sense of comedy though). So this morning I went ahead and gave her a high rating. Sure enough OKC mails me saying we both rated each other highly and should get in contact, so I sent her a mail.
    Now to see if this feature is worth it's salt...

She just mailed me there and I replied. She's online, I'm online, it says she just viewed my profile, I just viewed hers...

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO NOW?!?!?!?!?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

She just mailed me there and I replied. She's online, I'm online, it says she just viewed my profile, I just viewed hers...

Wait for her to reply to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭I made the BBC

Anyone ever have any good experiences from that OKC rating thing? Got an email this morning to say 'one of these people rated you highly'. It was quite easy to hell who it was as she was the only person to view my page in the last few days :pac:
    Turns out it was a girl I viewed last night. Didn't send a mail as I was sleepy, she replies very selectively and sounds a bit picky (great sense of comedy though). So this morning I went ahead and gave her a high rating. Sure enough OKC mails me saying we both rated each other highly and should get in contact, so I sent her a mail.
    Now to see if this feature is worth it's salt...

Mail her now :)
    Easy as!

EDIT - Sorry Galva,I scan read,didn't realise you've already mailed her :o

Need any more useless advice? :pac:

She doesn't appear to be online anymore. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

I did it for a while years and years ago and wouldn't do it agin, but am curious how you guys are faring.

Hey I dont post often but yes I have had success. Met a guy off POF back last August. I wasnt too sure about him from our emails but agreed to meet. And we are still together a year later. And its great. So it does work :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm 85% sure I just viewed the profile of someone who works for the same company I do, albeit in a different office. Tis good to know she thinks all same sex relationships are wrong, creationism should be taught in schools, abortion is wrong AND she's a ''liberal'' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'm 85% sure I just viewed the profile of someone who works for the same company I do, albeit in a different office. Tis good to know she thinks all same sex relationships are wrong, creationism should be taught in schools, abortion is wrong AND she's a ''liberal'' :rolleyes:

So I take it you didn't send a wink or whatever it is you do on those sites now?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Samich wrote: »
    seen a few ladies "I want a baby, you don't have to help bring the baby up."

and another "I want a babe in my tummy, I had heartache early in the year and all I want is a baby of my own."

:(

:eek::eek::eek: It is sad really, but a bit scary that people would put stuff like that on their profiles. On the plus side, at least it is easy to weed them out when they put stuff like this on the profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I went out with a guy for a year from a dating site. Now ive been seeing someone for the last few months from a dating site :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I think it all depends on your definition of success. Twice in the last 18 months I've had 2 examples that crossed over from online dating into relationships, and the fact that neither lasted had nothing to do with the fact that we met online.

I've also had some fun dates with really nice guys, and even if I didn't marry them, it was still more fun than sitting at home alone feeling sorry for myself while all of my friends spend time with their spouses / long term partners. I think that if you don't consider it as husband/wife shopping, and approach it with the mindset that you'll meet new people and have some fun, then it's a success. And if you do end up meeting the love of your life, then it's just a lovely bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

I've also had some fun dates with really nice guys, and even if I didn't marry them, it was still more fun than sitting at home alone feeling sorry for myself while all of my friends spend time with their spouses / long term partners. I think that if you don't consider it as husband/wife shopping, and approach it with the mindset that you'll meet new people and have some fun, then it's a success. And if you do end up meeting the love of your life, then it's just a lovely bonus!

I agree with you there.. when i first went back on the dating scene last year (and online dating), i had high expectations and it really didnt work out then.
    But this time around, im alot more laid back about it. Im having pretty decent conversations with some lovely guys at the mo, if it leads to a date well then cool but if they stop replying, sure what about it. I'll move on.
    Im enjoying the chats for now and sure who knows ;)

A lot of women with profile pics of them with (fake?) mustaches these days... what's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Samich wrote: »
    seen a few ladies "I want a baby, you don't have to help bring the baby up."

and another "I want a babe in my tummy, I had heartache early in the year and all I want is a baby of my own."

:(

1) Sweet jaysis!

2) the ****?!

RUN

A lot of women with profile pics of them with (fake?) mustaches these days... what's that all about?

lol, you have me on that one :confused:
    maybe a new fashion statement that ive missed out on :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I knew some girls that did that on their Facebook pages during Movember to show their support for the cause despite their lack of facial follicles. Could be the same thing, a photo that tries to show they have a sense of humour and support a good cause at the same time? It would probably work on me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just re-registered!!

Will give it a go!!

Maguined wrote: »
    I knew some girls that did that on their Facebook pages during Movember to show their support for the cause despite their lack of facial follicles. Could be the same thing, a photo that tries to show they have a sense of humour and support a good cause at the same time? It would probably work on me to be honest.

I was thinking it might be a Movember thing as I recall seeing a few of them out n' about at the time. They probably shouldn't have the tasche pic as their only pic though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I was thinking it might be a Movember thing as I recall seeing a few of them out n' about at the time. They probably shouldn't have the tasche pic as their only pic though...

I skip past men with tache photos so women with a tache!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Having much better success on match.com than OKC. Have a date for next weekend and might be meeting another prospective date who I've been chatting to all week later on :D

Happy Friday everyone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Have two message exchanges going , however one has not been online for a number of days. the other only started today and hit the "meet me" button.

Other than that , all is quiet. It is friday, always seem to get good chats on weekends.

Having much better success on match.com than OKC. Have a date for next weekend and might be meeting another prospective date who I've been chatting to all week later on :D

Happy Friday everyone :pac:

Is match the paid one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Is match the paid one?

Yeah it is. have found it to be a clunky website though. am still getting spam from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Been chatting to two at the moment. One no picture but seem to be getting on really well and has no problem sending a picture. Another was chatting to last night and asked me to add her on facebook. Did that and all I am gonna say is....... Pictures can be very decieving. She looks nothing like her OKC pics. Not a shallow person usually but Im not physically attracted to her at all......... AWKWARD:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Just want to Ask a Genuine Question..

Who finds some of the women a bit Stuck up on POF ??

(Some of them block you for no reason & ur only being nice to them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

This is where the Thick Skin requirement comes into OnLine Dating.

In my experience, a lot of my mails don't get answered. Maybe it's cos I'm not devastatingly handsome, maybe the mails just don't sit right, maybe I'm not what the girl is looking for. And it is a LOT more noticeable on POF than any other site.

Don't take it to heart, as that particular site says, Plenty more to fall for.

ecoli wrote: »
    Been chatting to two at the moment. One no picture but seem to be getting on really well and has no problem sending a picture. Another was chatting to last night and asked me to add her on facebook. Did that and all I am gonna say is....... Pictures can be very decieving. She looks nothing like her OKC pics. Not a shallow person usually but Im not physically attracted to her at all......... AWKWARD:o

yup, the same happened to me yesterday :o
    im not sure what to do. he looked totally different on pics on pof :confused:
    its mad what pictures do to people alright.
    im certainly not a shallow person, i just need to make sure i can feel attracted to them..it would only lead to embarrassment at the eventual meet-up otherwise. you'd only be wasting your time and theirs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

ya was just wondering. i am used to it anyway. Some People are still shallow like that. ( must get a pic with George Clooney or David Beckham LOL )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement