Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I thanked your post but I hope I'm not one of the annoying ones! ha ha......err..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I thanked your post but I hope I'm not one of the annoying ones! ha ha......err..

naaah, not you napper

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

gatecrash wrote: »
    Having said that there are one or 2 posters on here who's posts are borderline annoying. To them i can only say one thing. Change it up.

You know everyone is now thinking "eek, is it me?!?!?!" :o
    gatecrash wrote: »
    Last night i changed my profile pic from a "Me, outside hiking" pic that's about 12 months old to a webcam pic taken last night.
    This morning there were 3 new unsolicited messages.

And I'm no Tall, Dark and Handsome bloke.

Woohoo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

is there any good free online dating sites or are the good ones paid ones??

Larianne wrote: »
    You know everyone is now thinking "eek, is it me?!?!?!" :o

Oops.

Never thought of that.

Anyway, like i said, it's only borderline annoying.
    I'm not going to allow a random internet username get me annoyed cos they post in a slightly different 'tone' to me. :)
    Woohoo!

We'll see!!

One no pic user, one a user who didn't view my profile(???) and the third is cute! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

FWIW the most physically attractive girl ever to mail me on OKC was picless. Smart and funny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just gonna throw out a general question for everybody...

^^ Do other posters share this opinion of my postings/ramblings in this thread?
    If so I can take a break from posting here and/or only drop in when I'm in good form and/or have something positive to say.

NO! I love reading your posts, and in general I like about people's experiences good and bad and inbetween, as this is the best way to pick up tips and learn about what to expect and not take things too personally (and also not to feel so bad when the dates turn out to be weird/crap etc :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

based on what I’ve read of the thread it seems like it’s a bit of a numbers game.....so few messages get responses and so few responses turn into dates and then so few dates get a second date so my question is this....what is the general etiquette and consensus on how many women you should be maintaining contact with or pursuing at one time? I've got two way communication going with two and I think I'd feel a bit wierd now if I went chasing a third even though I probably should to increase my odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I'm probably an annoying one, sorry :o

uglyjohn wrote: »
    based on what I’ve read of the thread it seems like it’s a bit of a numbers game.....so few messages get responses and so few responses turn into dates and then so few dates get a second date so my question is this....what is the general etiquette and consensus on how many women you should be maintaining contact with or pursuing at one time? I've got two way communication going with two and I think I'd feel a bit wierd now if I went chasing a third even though I probably should to increase my odds.

Why? all you are doing is talking. Via text, but talking all the same.

The time to feel a bit weird is if you go out on dates, with both (or all 3!!) and the first date goes great. You arrange a second date (with all 3) and it STILL goes great.

At that stage you need to pick one, don't think about the others.

The wimmins will more than likely be doing the exact same!

I'll put it to you this way, would you go to a pub and limit yourself to talking to 2 separate women for the entire night? Or would you chance your arm with one or 2 more, just to see how you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i suppose when you put it like that..it would be stupid not to at least talk to a few more.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

back out to the real world to find a man. Surely it cant be that difficult?!!

Seems like it'd be easy, or should be easy! I mean, why do we need to rely on online dating (or do we?)?

I haven't met a nice girl in about 2 months..and before that was 6 months! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys, long time lurker so I thought I would add my 2 cents! My last boyfriend I met through online dating (i opted for a paid site) and while it didn't work out that wasn't because of where we met. After a break of a couple of months, I decided to go back, and again I met a lovely guy which I have now been dating for a couple of months. I found it to be alot of fun and I have met some really nice people. I wouldn't be put off doing it again either (if it doesn't work out with the guy I'm currently seeing!!!)....I think its a great way to meet people :) For those of you considering it I would say go for it and if you don't like it then just close the account but I would definately recommend giving it a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Seems like it'd be easy, or should be easy! I mean, why do we need to rely on online dating (or do we?)?

I haven't met a nice girl in about 2 months..and before that was 6 months! :o

And I've never met a girl (nice or not) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Seems like it'd be easy, or should be easy!

It should be easy (especially when you see from the dating sites how many people are single) - are we all somehow overcomplicating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

hollypink wrote: »
    It should be easy (especially when you see from the dating sites how many people are single) - are we all somehow overcomplicating it?

yes. it's getting too formal. but then again, you can say that about a lot of social situations. gone are the days where you'd just call over to friends. now you ring and say you're calling. as well as saying hi or merely acknowledging a stranger on the street. do that now and a lot of people will consider you odd!

Samich wrote: »
    And I've never met a girl (nice or not) ;)

That just means the odds of meeting one are hugely in your favour. ;)

hollypink wrote: »

I think with social networking etc. a lot of flirting is now indirect. And obviously it's a lot easier for people that way and so has come to the forefront. People are too easily accessible.

Having said that, texting/calling is a bit fun too, it's just it's gone from that to completely taking over the more personal approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shortkid

Long time lurker first time posting.... really loving this thread as I've been trying this online dating for a few months.

One thing no one else has mentioned but does anyone else find it a little weird when a person messaging them starts calling them babe/baby/sexy.... I just think its a little strange when they've never met me.... I've noticed alot of lads messaging me call me babe or sexy.... maybe its just me! :)

Shortkid wrote: »
    Long time lurker first time posting.... really loving this thread as I've been trying this online dating for a few months.

One thing no one else has mentioned but does anyone else find it a little weird when a person messaging them starts calling them babe/baby/sexy.... I just think its a little strange when they've never met me.... I've noticed alot of lads messaging me call me babe or sexy.... maybe its just me! :)

No, it's not you and yes it's weird. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shortkid

Phew... haha...

Its just a bit over familiar! If I've been chatting to them for a while I dont let it put me off... but it definitely makes me have second thoughts.
    If its in the first message i usually dont even respond!

Shortkid wrote: »

It's definitely not good online dating etiquette imo. :) It's not cute or playful, it's just unnecessary and cringeworthy.

why do some people make such a song and dance about their profession too, as in "ask and i'll tell" or "not telling!"

for the wans that have feck all on their profile, you'd think that having a vague idea about what they do may break the ice?

why do some people make such a song and dance about their profession too, as in "ask and i'll tell" or "not telling!"

for the wans that have feck all on their profile, you'd think that having a vague idea about what they do may break the ice?

Well you could ask them what they do to break the ice. ;) But yeah, I know what you mean.

Well you could ask them what they do to break the ice. ;) But yeah, I know what you mean.

if i did, with my luck they'd be a drug mule for some crack dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Maybe they don't want to publicize it or make it obvious where they work. Or else they are sick of answering the same 2 or 3 questions.

Well that's the chance you got to take with on-line dating.

Maybe they don't want to publicize it or make it obvious where they work. Or else they are sick of answering the same 2 or 3 questions.

i meant even just give a vague idea.

teacher/lecturer = education

medics/nurses etc = healthcare.

etc etc. it doesn't mean that they have to answer that they work in A&E in st vincents on tuesdays and thursday nights..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

You never know you could get a free holiday out of that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Well I've decided to try and seriously get in to dating, online or offline, so I gave my profile a bit of a shake up tonight. Decided to also take down one of my pictures, even though I look really good in it, and put up one or two pictures of me looking my normal self, no make up or anything. It's either a brave move or a stupid decision...I'll find out if I don't get any messages in the next few days.

Getting a bit tired of OKC, there's not that many new users in the Cork area, POF seems to have more Corkonians on it than the other sites {is that a sign that we're all cheap down south? ;)} I'm staying focused for now on guys from Cork, done the whole Cork-Dublin relationship for 18 months, and don't fancy trying to arrange dates with someone who's more than 45 minutes away, let alone try to have a relationship, although in a couple more months, if I don't have any luck, I might have to reevaluate that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement