Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Shortkid

mariebeth wrote: »
    Well I've decided to try and seriously get in to dating, online or offline, so I gave my profile a bit of a shake up tonight. Decided to also take down one of my pictures, even though I look really good in it, and put up one or two pictures of me looking my normal self, no make up or anything. It's either a brave move or a stupid decision...I'll find out if I don't get any messages in the next few days.

Getting a bit tired of OKC, there's not that many new users in the Cork area, POF seems to have more Corkonians on it than the other sites {is that a sign that we're all cheap down south? ;)} I'm staying focused for now on guys from Cork, done the whole Cork-Dublin relationship for 18 months, and don't fancy trying to arrange dates with someone who's more than 45 minutes away, let alone try to have a relationship, although in a couple more months, if I don't have any luck, I might have to reevaluate that!

Fair play to you! I dont think I could be that brave!

Im on POF and there seems to be alot of good looking Cork lads on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Okay so quick update on my online dating adventure! I think it's been nearly a week on okc, So far i've had 23 visitors. Out of those one has messaged me and i had messaged her first. I dunno why she messaged me back as i don't think she was much interested in a conversation..it felt like she was making no effort and it draaagggged a long .
    I've tried the messages where i commented about their interests/hobbies or just on something that i notice on their profile, Didn't have much luck with that so my new plan is the short cheeky message that some people have spoken about here.
    I'll be honest and say i think the issue might be my pictures, I've never been photogenic and by that i don't mean i'm ugly cause i'm not :P it's just i'm very pale , find it hard to smile in photos and my eyes close as soon as there is a flash. All that kinda makes me look like a stoned ghost zombie on crack. i tend to do pretty well in real life when i'm out at weekends, but the reason i've decided to give this ago was so that i could see what interests girls have before we meet.. that's if we do at all!
    Anyway i'll crack on and and see how it goes, hope the rest of you are having more luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Had a really good first date in the middle of last week, lots of flirting, nice little kiss at the end, we were in touch for the couple of days after the date, and now suddenly complete silence for 3 days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

someone do me a favour and see does this one block u straight away on Pof will give name to u in a min (want to see if it is someone messing with me fake person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Had a really good first date in the middle of last week, lots of flirting, nice little kiss at the end, we were in touch for the couple of days after the date, and now suddenly complete silence for 3 days. :(

And have decided to cheer myself up by accepting a date from a guy 5 years younger than me (I usually never date younger guys), with whom I suspect I've nothing in common... but he has loads of photos up and he's a little ride in each and every one of them! Being un-shallow isn't getting me anywhere, so might as well change my tactics. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Hannah2011

hi all...so decided to launch myself into internet dating last month and have been chatting to one quite nice guy a good few times, messaged him my number and he text me yesterday and asked me out. I have gone into a blind panic ever since. I am petrified of meeting up with him, it really is ridiculous!! Where should I suggest to meet? For a coffee? For a drink? What if it is horrifically awkward! help...am freaking out!! (P.S. He does SEEM very nice so far!)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hannah2011 wrote: »
    hi all...so decided to launch myself into internet dating last month and have been chatting to one quite nice guy a good few times, messaged him my number and he text me yesterday and asked me out. I have gone into a blind panic ever since. I am petrified of meeting up with him, it really is ridiculous!! Where should I suggest to meet? For a coffee? For a drink? What if it is horrifically awkward! help...am freaking out!! (P.S. He does SEEM very nice so far!)

Go with whatever you're comfortable with. Some people like to go for coffee as its easier to keep the date short but I prefer drinks.

There's no point worrying about it being awkward, it'll just get you more into a tizzy. Just remember, he'll probably be as nervous as you! :)

Hannah2011 wrote: »

Sorry to interrupt But yes he will probally be more nervous than you. i would be if i was meeting you. A coffee might be more relaxing you could talk easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

A girl I was chatting to just there was being nice, and said "wanna swap pics" and I said I'll send mine first seeing as she was being so nice, I did, and I didn't get a reply, so I looked at my sent items and she isn't showing up which means she's blocked me. That really sickens me, why be a tool?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know it's of small comfort but that kind of stuff is more common than you'd think (happens to me all the time! :pac:)
    Samich wrote: »
    A girl I was chatting to just there was being nice, and said "wanna swap pics" and I said I'll send mine first seeing as she was being so nice, I did, and I didn't get a reply, so I looked at my sent items and she isn't showing up which means she's blocked me. That really sickens me, why be a tool?

Well harsh. On the plus side you're better off in the long run without someone like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That's a shít thing to do to you Samich, slimmest chances she recognized you and got all embarrassed? I know the odds are unlikely, but it could happen at the same time!
    Don't worry about it, plenty more fish in the sea anyways!:)

Join the Club Bud!! Story of my life!!!

I'd send a text and ask "what's up? Haven't heard from you? had a nice time the other day but if you don't want to meet up again that's fine. I'd just rather not be left hanging."

There could be a missed text in there somewhere, or life has got in the way or maybe he is just an ass and couldn't be bothered saying he wasn't feeling it etc.

To be honest, I did this once or twice when I first tried out online dating. :o Terrible, I know. Put it down to she wasn't attracted to you but didn't want to face having to tell you that. It's totally crap. I certainly wised up to that and was up front with guys when I rejoined. Just remember that not everyone you meet is going to be attracted to you.

"It's good to see you Willy."
    "That's not what ya said the first time ya saw me!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Oh and the same girl that did that thing to me did the same thing to jamesbond.

Oh and the same girl that did that thing to me did the same thing to jamesbond.

I wouldn't take those people seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Sorry to interupt guys...

Any tips on setting up a profile? Is POF the way to go? Might as well give it a go, got the heave ho from my boyfriend last week, and definitely sick of anyone from my area!

:O

Any tips on setting up a profile? Is POF the way to go? Might as well give it a go, got the heave ho from my boyfriend last week, and definitely sick of anyone from my area!

I'd say give it a few weeks before trying the online dating thing. You may end up turned off men for life! :pac:

People have different preferences for which site to join. I'd definitely go with a free site though so PoF or OKC

A week? I'm with Larianne on this one (that is assuming it was a proper relationship of reasonable length) that you should wait a bit before diving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Any tips on setting up a profile?

MODSNIP

but really, give it a whileeen before you do it. you're just on the rebound now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ballsymchugh, I've edited your post. please don't post about other posters and their profiles in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Galvasean wrote: »
    A week? I'm with Larianne on this one (that is assuming it was a proper relationship of reasonable length) that you should wait a bit before diving in.

I the cold light of day, i realise that I'm on more of a rebound than a basketball!

Cheers lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I the cold light of day, i realise that I'm on more of a rebound than a basketball!

Cheers lads!

Damn.

Just when i was about to give you 'advice' ...... :D:D

I JEST!!

sam34 wrote: »
    ballsymchugh, I've edited your post. please don't post about other posters and their profiles in that manner.

sorry! :o

Gentlemen, advice is required. A very nice girl mailed me today. One possible problem she's only 18. I'm 25. Seems a bit of a stretch agewise... or does it?

Gentlemen, advice is required. A very nice girl mailed me today. One possible problem she's only 18. I'm 25. Seems a bit of a stretch agewise... or does it?

at that age it can. give yourself 3 or 4 years and you may change your mind. that is she'll be 21 or 22, not that you'll still be thinking about a teenager!!
    there's also a world of difference between someone finishing secondary school and someone finishing college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Where's the problem part? :P But seriously i couldn't date an 18 year old but i am 29 so it's a bit different. Kinda depends on the girl and how mature they are. No harm meeting for a drink...if her parents let her out!

Where's the problem part? :P But seriously i couldn't date an 18 year old but i am 29 so it's a bit different. Kinda depends on the girl and how mature they are. No harm meeting for a drink...if her parents let her out!

cruel, but very well played! :pac:

Kinda depends on the girl and how mature they are.

Well considering I'm considered immature for my age... if she's mature for her age we could meet down the middle?
    I suppose a meet up to test the water wouldn't be the worst thing in the word... less she be lying about her age and I do not pass go or collect €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Agree that it all depends on maturity, I'm 24, tend to go for guys at least 2 years older because I think guys my age( the ones I know, not all of ye!!) are kind of not the same maturity as me :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement