Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Galvasean wrote: »
    Gentlemen, advice is required. A very nice girl mailed me today. One possible problem she's only 18. I'm 25. Seems a bit of a stretch agewise... or does it?

If I had listened to the doubters three years ago I wouldn't have my lovely lady today. Same age gap, and met not much older than ye. Makes no difference whatsoever if you are both understanding and willing to make little compromises (no more than any relationship I suppose).

Do it my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd send a text and ask "what's up? Haven't heard from you? had a nice time the other day but if you don't want to meet up again that's fine. I'd just rather not be left hanging."

There could be a missed text in there somewhere, or life has got in the way or maybe he is just an ass and couldn't be bothered saying he wasn't feeling it etc.

I took half of your advice, skipped the "haven't heard from you bit" and jumped straight to the "wanna go out this weekend" bit. I got a swift and enthusiastic response, so it looks like I have... A Second Date!

What do I do now??! :confused::eek::D

At this stage I know how to write profiles, write intro emails, have a bit of online banter and filter out the creeps. I'm also an expert at recognising strangers in bars from 10 year old photos, and sometimes even manage to stumble my way through a first date. But I've forgotten everything past that!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Depends what ye are doing.As its a weekend maybe go see a movie then a few bevvies after to dissect said movie.If things go well then ye can stay out later and have moar drinks or whatever else tickles yer fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I took half of your advice, skipped the "haven't heard from you bit" and jumped straight to the "wanna go out this weekend" bit. I got a swift and enthusiastic response, so it looks like I have... A Second Date!

What do I do now??! :confused::eek::D

At this stage I know how to write profiles, write intro emails, have a bit of online banter and filter out the creeps. I'm also an expert at recognising strangers in bars from 10 year old photos, and sometimes even manage to stumble my way through a first date. But I've forgotten everything past that!! :o

Deadly! :D

Otis's suggestion sounds good. Depends what you guys are into.

Depends what ye are doing.As its a weekend maybe go see a movie then a few bevvies after to dissect said movie.If things go well then ye can stay out later and have moar drinks or whatever else tickles yer fancy!
    Larianne wrote: »
    Deadly! :D

Otis's suggestion sounds good. Depends what you guys are into.

I've already picked where we're going, I'm more wondering what to talk about cos I already used up my first date conversation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I've already picked where we're going, I'm more wondering what to talk about cos I already used up my first date conversation ;)

Haha, you had a first date conversation planned? I'd say don't over think it too much. Talk about things that interest you and you might find you have somethings in common to talk about. Jaysus i sound like Dear Coleen there.

Anyways lets talk about me and my needs. A second girl has messaged me back! She clearly digs my sun deprived look, lets see if i can turn this one into a date.

Haha, you had a first date conversation planned? I'd say don't over think it too much. Talk about things that interest you and you might find you have somethings in common to talk about. Jaysus i sound like Dear Coleen there.

Anyways lets talk about me and my needs. A second girl has messaged me back! She clearly digs my sun deprived look, lets see if i can turn this one into a date.

I have a whole first date script that I stick to religously, doesn't everyone?! ;)

But yes, on to you and your needs. Reply to her and ask if she'll help you apply your factor 50 sun cream. It shows that you appreciate her appreciation of your skin colour. And it won't sound weird at all, I promise. :D

But yes, on to you and your needs. Reply to her and ask if she'll help you apply your factor 50 sun cream. It shows that you appreciate her appreciation of your skin colour. And it won't sound weird at all, I promise. :D

That made me laugh , then i remembered that i actually have factor 50 sun cream in my bathroom .. it says "for children on it".
    I've already replied and it was something far less interesting i wrote...... so now i wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

has the search layout changed on pof? I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

Well considering I'm considered immature for my age... if she's mature for her age we could meet down the middle?
    I suppose a meet up to test the water wouldn't be the worst thing in the word... less she be lying about her age and I do not pass go or collect €200.
    For what it's worth I met my other half on OkCupid about 2 1/2 years ago, she was 19 and I was 27 (and not immature at all). It threw up the odd obstacle but the person matters a lot more then the age.

<pisstake>
    If you feel it's going particularly well then you should bring her to a pub with a bouncer. If he cards her it'll save you having to do it to cover your ass. "She had ID, honest judge" :pac:
    </pisstake>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Has anyone noticed the amount of single mothers on POF?

I have nothing against them, just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Yes, depends on what age you are looking at. Early to mid 30's its common enough.

I don't seem to be getting many replies or any to at all. Starting to think there is something about my profile or I'm uglier than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's kind of ideal for single parents, many of them wouldn't have the same social life of single people of similar ages so online dating suits them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

K-9 wrote: »
    It's kind of ideal for single parents, many of them wouldn't have the same social life of single people of similar ages so online dating suits them.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. Even in the 20's bracket there is a lot of them. I suppose it just makes them MILFS! Presuming ILF them! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Gentlemen, advice is required. A very nice girl mailed me today. One possible problem she's only 18. I'm 25. Seems a bit of a stretch agewise... or does it?

Wouldn't really worry about what's the worst thing that can happen u don't get on?

I've dated some women older then me never really bothered me but two if them got a bit uncomfortable about it and subsequently ended..

Wouldn't let it get to you your only 25 technacliy u maybe a right match as girls mature way quicker then man....

Go on the date ....

Luckily my bad dates aren't as bad as these people's bad dates :pac:

http://storify.com/rhodri/your-awful-dates-in-140-characters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah im currently chatting to a single mum on pof.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Luckily my bad dates aren't as bad as these people's bad dates :pac:

http://storify.com/rhodri/your-awful-dates-in-140-characters

i can't stop laughing at this one!
    One gentleman took me to the pub car park to show me his motorbike. He revved it for about ten minutes then did a lap and drove off

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

does anyone else find it really hard to pick photos to put up? the site im on has a strict "no other people" guideline and to be honest i dont really take that many photos of myself, alone.... i have a few but they are all either old or stupid looking. My ex made me pose for a photography class she did a while back but i'd feel like a fraud putting fake modeling type photos up.

Can you not crop the photo so it's only yourself in them or blur the person you're with out??

I think those staged photos are a bit poncy to be honest.

• Advertisement

the posed ones just arent me, simple as. they look alright but i'd feel like a tool putting them up!
    Cropping would be very hard as they're all group shots me and a gang of friends and mostly pretty poor quality. I like my main picture but i probably should have more than one photo.
    its a trickey one.

do those ones with a person face blurred not look kinda stupid though?

Hmm, sounds like you need some new photos!!

Yeah, I guess the blurred photos aren't ideal but at least it gives the viewer an idea of what you look like and hides your friends identities.

yeah i think your right. im going to have to grab someone and then pose for some "unposed" pics.....it'll be a fun one to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

uglyjohn wrote: »
    Cropping would be very hard as they're all group shots me and a gang of friends and mostly pretty poor quality. I like my main picture but i probably should have more than one photo.
    its a trickey one.

do those ones with a person face blurred not look kinda stupid though?

Well you dont want someone emailing you to say hello, like your profile but can I have your mates phone number??? :D

god that would be terrible! I need some photos of me with ugly people.

on a side note Galvasean i just saw a profile of a girl who starts off

Veloceraptors had feathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Pic is on my profile now for a while. Do many people do that meet me match thingy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Decided to message a girl on okc for once, let's see if she replies. If not, oh well.

Will wrote: »
    Decided to message a girl on okc for once, let's see if she replies. If not, oh well.

Just the one? I'm finding only about 1 in 10 message me back. I've only had 1 girl message me first so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

She actually replied, I was more enquiring about common interests than anything else but she replied. Will see how it goes

• Advertisement

Will wrote: »
    She actually replied, I was more enquiring about common interests than anything else but she replied. Will see how it goes

Your message skillz are strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement