Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Out of curiosity do folks have a type of lady or gent they go for ?

as in what she does whats are interests are etc... ?

I wouldn't say there's a particular type as such, thinking back over my ex's there have been blondes, brunettes and red heads. There have been slim, not so slim, and generously proportioned. There have been University degrees, FAS certs and Secondary School. There have even been Caucasian and Indian.

As a matter of fact, looking back over that it's obvious that i haven't a feckin CLUE as to what i want!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Kind, longish hair, interested in music/film/books, slightly alternative, slightly nerd-ish in a Michael Cera/Graham Coxon way. Well, that's the dream :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

I really don't have a specific type, someone who can make me laugh is most important, and I've never been a big fan of blonde boys. Oh and super skinny lads-nahhh....Go weak at the knees for some manly stubble!

Edit : an obvious sign of my problem - I can list my turn offs and not my actual type ...+1 on annys post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I think it's break time for me for the whole dating thing. I had what was on the surface a very good 2nd date on the weekend, and have 2 nice email backups waiting in the wings (plus one kinda creepy one but let's not count him!) and I'm just not feeling bothered about any of them. I think in my whirlwind of dating (had 3 first dates in 1 week a while ago), I've started to just go through the motions.

So for a little while anyway, I'm giving up and being single on purpose, instead of being single and trying not to be. :)

(I'm not quitting the thread though, I like all you people far too much for that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Deedsie wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity I wanted to take a look at the match.com site. But I can't get past registering, what do you put in for postcode?

I think your using the wrong "match.com" site. There is a match.com site for lots of different countries. So you need to google "match.com Ireland".

It will give you http://ie.match.com/

From here it knows you are in Ireland and you just have to select your Region and town.

You might have been using the UK site previously...i think www.match.com brings you to that site automatically. However unless you want to be looking for dates in the UK...I'd recommend going via the Irish site...otherwise it will be an expensive 1st date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Pyr0 wrote: »
    See I don't get the whole copy and paste thing. I change my message every single time so it's unique to that person. I wouldn't bother replying to a copy and paste message at all!

Yeah, I probably won't bother replying as it is annoying, especially the pretence of finding me interesting etc :rolleyes:

I think it's break time for me for the whole dating thing. I had what was on the surface a very good 2nd date on the weekend, and have 2 nice email backups waiting in the wings (plus one kinda creepy one but let's not count him!) and I'm just not feeling bothered about any of them. I think in my whirlwind of dating (had 3 first dates in 1 week a while ago), I've started to just go through the motions.

So for a little while anyway, I'm giving up and being single on purpose, instead of being single and trying not to be. :)

Yeah I am going off it a bit myself, but I will probably stick with it for another while and then take a break. It gets a bit tedious after a while looking through profiles a lot of which read the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pyr0 wrote: »
    See I don't get the whole copy and paste thing. I change my message every single time so it's unique to that person. I wouldn't bother replying to a copy and paste message at all!

I've called guys up on it before. They admit it straight away then ask can we 'chat' anyway. I always say 'no'. :D I mean they could have a template ready and then add in a few questions about your profile. Make some bit of effort.

Copy and paste mails scream 'desperate guy sending mails to EVERYONE on the site'. Feck that!

I'm currently taking a break from the land of online dating, well dating in general. I know what you mean 2 Miles from Narnia. It gets tiring.

But breaks can be good. One friend took a break from it and then met her boyfriend on it. Another friend is going on her 3rd date with a guy after taking a break from it. Maybe that's how you do it???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

padr81 wrote: »
    are these sites anygood if your from a small town. i tried having a look at plenty of fish and theres like 3 women in my age group I think, on okcupid theres 4 but last login was 2006.

Was thinking of trying zoosk but i heard its pretty much a load of rubbish from a friend, as even though you can send a free message the other person can't read it? Plus my mate also reckons you can't send a message unless you upload a photo, and while I wouldn't mind putting up a photo and sharing with the people I message, my mates would torture me over it. Last guy that was caught doing it, had his profile printed out on a4 pictures and passed around the local.

find new friends. If someone done that to me I would never speak to them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

uglyjohn wrote: »
    RSVP.com.au a friend of mine over here used it. it costs about $10 to email someone so i think that discourages some of the spam other sites seem to suffer from.

That could be why you arent getting any replies. Bet you are the only one using that site!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

I don't have any particular type...just once i can feel attracted to them really :)
    and of course the chemistry has to come into it. interests, career, etc dont come into it for me, as the way i see it, if we can get along personality wise..everything else would fall into place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Larianne wrote: »
    I'm currently taking a break from the land of online dating, well dating in general. I know what you mean 2 Miles from Narnia. It gets tiring.

But breaks can be good. One friend took a break from it and then met her boyfriend on it. Another friend is going on her 3rd date with a guy after taking a break from it. Maybe that's how you do it???

I always like those stories about people finding romance once they stop looking for it... but now that you've put the idea in my head, I'll be keeping half an eye out, and it won't count as genuinely not looking anymore! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Can i ask the Ladies which type of mail do u prefer.

Hi how are you would you like to go out for drink or the hi

Hi would you like to have some fun (u know what i mean)

i always send the nice msg not cheeky/rude msg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

man those kinda questions are 10 a penny you got be more random just use one thing and be cheeky for instance when i was on zoosk before it got all famous and sh1t i turned round to a bisexual girl and told her she was greedy she replied and we even kissed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Some random guy chatted me on okc and it went like this;

him - willllllburt
    him - willlllllllllllllllllllllburt

me - hello

him - just checking out the competition, nothing to see here

me - Do i know you?

him - willllllburt

Anyone here care to own up? Most bizarre thing ever

man those kinda questions are 10 a penny you got be more random just use one thing and be cheeky for instance when i was on zoosk before it got all famous and sh1t i turned round to a bisexual girl and told her she was greedy she replied and we even kissed :D

i trying different approaches but sometimes thats works then u can start being cheeky once they reply. Some of the women are hard though to see what type they are.:confused::confused::P:P:P:P

i tried the straight out approach once. asking do u want a *****?? it actually worked but the date fell through in end..

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

find new friends. If someone done that to me I would never speak to them again.

Ah I love my friends and so does the lad who they did it too (eventually he got over it) just dunno if I'm up to a month of slagging.

But still I took the chance, risked their wrath and uploaded a photo.

Saw a girl I grew up with on there who I always liked so I sent her a message (even though she's probably not able to read it, not cause she can't read but because I'd doubt she subscribes) but if I do get a message back and in the two lines I can see don't say "f**k off", I'll just add her on facebook or something. I might even be tempted to subscibe just too see.

Theres like 4 active people in my area so it'd be payin alot having to subscribe for 3 months and the signup fee to be told "go away" or something.

Will wrote: »
    Some random guy chatted me on okc and it went like this;

Anyone here care to own up? Most bizarre thing ever
    hahha some nut job!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

hahahaha just got a mail saying 'you're a ride, tell me more about you' :rolleyes:

*swoon* :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

hahha some nut job!!!:D:D:D

I thought it was pretty funny, just a bit strange.

hahahaha just got a mail saying 'you're a ride, tell me more about you' :rolleyes:

which site was that

• Advertisement

which site was that

POF.... was it you?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I'd love a message like that:p

Kinski wrote: »

You're a ride. Tell us more about you ;)

POF.... was it you?!

no it was not i think

i did it for the crack once on the intimate encounter ones just to see wht would happen!!!
    some of them are gas!!!

Kinski wrote: »

U a ride:eek::eek: kinski tell me more about u:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

U a ride:eek::eek: kinski tell me more about u:D:D

Guess I'll have to take what I can get! ;)

I think I'm bored of POF. Very few people with anything interesting to say.

Is it just me or is it very annoying when people quote your profile in mails? Quotation, followed by their thoughts on said quotation, usually followed by another quotation :confused:

Is it just me or is it very annoying when people quote your profile in mails? Quotation, followed by their thoughts on said quotation, usually followed by another quotation :confused:
    yes i agree with what u said there.

Drink' Feck''':D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

They may as well write "LOOK LOOK I READ YOUR PROFILE"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

whats POF?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement