Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

whats POF?

plentyoffish.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

hahahaha just got a mail saying 'you're a ride, tell me more about you' :rolleyes:

*swoon* :cool:

i just after trying that way!!! Never again:eek::eek::eek: she nearly shot me:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

I can see why you guys find it so disheartening. I joined, set my profile to private and started emailing two girls who both responded so I thought I was sorted! There was some back and forth and I thought we were getting on and then suddenly they both just stopped emailing…and I don’t get it. I know there are plenty of guys on the site but I would have thought people would have the decency to at least say thanks but no thanks rather than stopping mid conversation. I made my profile visible so Larianne could give me a second opinion and a few girls contacted me and I’m now emailing 2 of them but I’m kinda nervous because of what happened with the first two…I mean odds are these two could just disappear at any second too. Maybe the whole internet dating thing makes it too easy to dismiss people. I’m starting to think Speed Dating would be a better idea.

The trick is not to get too discouraged when they disappear. There is absolutely no point in beating yourself up over it or stressing yourself out wondering why. Best advice I can offer is just ignore and carry on regardless. 'Their loss' is a phrase that helps me sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

uglyjohn wrote: »
    I made my profile visible so Larianne could give me a second opinion and a few girls contacted me and I’m now emailing 2 of them

You're welcome! :pac: But seriously...
    but I’m kinda nervous because of what happened with the first two…I mean odds are these two could just disappear at any second too. Maybe the whole internet dating thing makes it too easy to dismiss people. I’m starting to think Speed Dating would be a better idea.

How long were you mailing the other girls? It is hard to keep the momentum going sometimes. I think a week is the maximum length of time to be messaging someone without asking them do they want to meet up.

It is true about the easy dismissal though. :cool: The joys, oh the joys!
    Yeah try not to get too disheartened about it.

• Advertisement

OKC's recommendations.... 2 girls I already dated but it didn't end well and my sister :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    OKC's recommendations.... 2 girls I already dated but it didn't end well and my sister :pac:

Would you go by those recommendations though? I think they're a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

Well I got the straw that broke the camals back tonight, a charming mail "Up for the ride? i'm huge".....Can't be bothered actually deleting so the photos came down, I'm sure I'll be back though, and obviously not leaving the thread :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Well I got the straw that broke the camals back tonight, a charming mail "Up for the ride? i'm huge".....Can't be bothered actually deleting so the photos came down, I'm sure I'll be back though, and obviously not leaving the thread :cool:

Would you not think you'd have better luck, fun and enjoyment the old fashioned way? Plug out that computer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Galvasean wrote: »

didn't you get that recommendation before? if people of a lesser intelligence kept getting that, they might start looking at their siblings differently. :eek:

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    Would you go by those recommendations though? I think they're a bit silly.

Well, I have owed never to go back to any of the girls I dated previously so that only leaves...

:eek:

I would have replied to that! :pac: Just to have a laugh. Ask him how big is big and then say you'd seen bigger things to stir your tea with! :D

How long have you been doing the online thing Jenny?
    Would you not think you'd have better luck, fun and enjoyment the old fashioned way? Plug out that computer :p

Hmm, I think that's the reason people go to on-line dating, they've been finding it difficult the normal way so to speak. On-line dating just increases the likelihood of meeting someone.

At my age the old fashioned way is drunken pulling in a club. That get's old too. To be honest I was more of a online chatter than a dater but it was great fun at times and I'd definitely try again.

yeah you're right....I suppose they dont really owe me anything but i would have expected an email of some description. maybe they're just fatigued from getting so many emails from guys.

It's annoying though when you spot a profile, realise you have lots in common and then for whatever reason it doesnt pan out.

Is Snoopy1 still loved up??

We need some success stories!!

OOh also, Napper had a date on Saturday!

I would have replied to that! :pac: Just to have a laugh. Ask him how big is big and then say you'd seen bigger things to stir your tea with! :D

How long have you been doing the online thing Jenny?

I did that before with some guy asking to marry me, kept it going ages :pac:

Not that long, only around two months, I've had a couple of dates with one person but who knows...supposed to be meeting someone else in a few weeks (schedule conflict) another reason to not delete fully as that would be really rude.

You're welcome! :pac: But seriously...

How long were you mailing the other girls? It is hard to keep the momentum going sometimes.

m really glad i turned it off private. the photos are till private though. I was emailing the main two for a few days. After they stopped responding they kept viewing my profile...maybe they were comparing me against the competition and deciding who to write back to!

I'm going to suggest meeting with one in my next email ( right now im waiting for a response to an email i wrote but she only read it late last night....i hope she doesnt dissappear too! )
    The other one im email seems really cool but it would never work! we both do shift work in rural australia and the way our shifts run i'd only see her 1 week in 6!

m really glad i turned it off private. the photos are till private though. I was emailing the main two for a few days. After they stopped responding they kept viewing my profile...maybe they were comparing me against the competition and deciding who to write back to!

I'd send them a mail. You've nothing to lose!
    I'm going to suggest meeting with one in my next email ( right now im waiting for a response to an email i wrote but she only read it late last night....i hope she doesnt dissappear too! )
    The other one im email seems really cool but it would never work! we both do shift work in rural australia and the way our shifts run i'd only see her 1 week in 6!

Hopefully it works out for you. :) Takes a while to find your feet with it, so remember that too.

She wrote back!

asked me out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I got a message from a guy saying that he and his friend think I'm really a man as my written profile is manly!!!

I'm not sure what to make of this but now I'm starting to think that maybe others are thinking that too....has anyone ever read something that seems to be a different sex.

I hated writing that profile so I just kept it straight to the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Are there any free dating sites?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are there any free dating sites?

www.smooch.com, www.pof.com

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I got a message from a guy saying that he and his friend think I'm really a man as my written profile is manly!!!

I'm not sure what to make of this but now I'm starting to think that maybe others are thinking that too....has anyone ever read something that seems to be a different sex.

I hated writing that profile so I just kept it straight to the point.

Obviosuly havent seen your profile but if you have kept straight to the point then I guess it could come across as manly. Women tend to be more 'flowery' in their profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

At my age the old fashioned way is drunken pulling in a club. That get's old too. To be honest I was more of a online chatter than a dater but it was great fun at times and I'd definitely try again.

do you put an age on whens appropriate to pull in certain areas? (pub, club etc) im not picking holes in your point im just wondering.

Would you not see following one of your interests or hobbies as a way of meeting a potential partner of fish or what ever you choose to call them.

Its my opinion that sometimes when people dont have success in one way they feel beaten by it and look to an alternative (maybe in this case the net) as their only lifeline and then hedge all their bets on it and this sometimes leads to more dissapointment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Based on OKCupid and PoF, I've given up on online dating. Only two girls on either site in my area I was interested in; one was only looking for friends, one just didn't pan out when we were chatting, so thats my selection gone :/

All the girls in my area either are "omg liek 2 parti n gt smashed!" which I'm totally not into in any way, or are single mothers, who, to be blunt, I'm not at a stage in my life where I'm willing to get involved in a relationship with....

Would you not see following one of your interests or hobbies as a way of meeting a potential partner of fish or what ever you choose to call them.

This is said quite often - so I often wonder what interests or hobbies people have that enables them to meet people to date. May sound obvious but I have never met anyone like this.

do you put an age on whens appropriate to pull in certain areas? (pub, club etc) im not picking holes in your point im just wondering.

Its my opinion that sometimes when people dont have success in one way they feel beaten by it and look to an alternative (maybe in this case the net) as their only lifeline and then hedge all their bets on it and this sometimes leads to more dissapointment.

No I don't put an age on it, but I'm in my very early 20's it's a pretty standard way of pulling at my age.

Just like Dovies I've never got involved with someone through areas of hobbies, generally I wouldn't think that's a brilliant idea, there's one particular hobbie I've had since I was a child and I would never get involved with anyone at my club, I'd have no interest in something ending badly and then having to feel uncomfortable somewhere where I spend a lot of time...

I didn't turn to online dating out of desperation or out of feeling beaten, not trying to sound big headed but I do alright for myself in real life. I joined it for a bit of fun and that's exactly what it's been. I also have a very close nit group of friends and see no harm in branching out online, as I've said plenty of times on here I've always kept my expectations of online dating low and it certainly hasn't led to disappointment in fact as a whole the experience has been pretty positive. I'm sure some people see it as a lifeline but for me it was far from that.

Well Im 43 (bugger was only 42 last week!) and all my friends are married with kids so their nights out consist of a diet coke at the local (seriously). My sisters have partners so thats about it really for me!! Which is why I turned to online - last time I pulled when I was out I think I was at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

or are single mothers, who, to be blunt, I'm not at a stage in my life where I'm willing to get involved in a relationship with....

i respect that, so don't get me wrong, but just out of curiosity are there alot of guys or a particular age group that dont want 'to go there' ?

im a single mum btw :)

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Well Im 43 (bugger was only 42 last week!) and all my friends are married with kids so their nights out consist of a diet coke at the local (seriously). My sisters have partners so thats about it really for me!! Which is why I turned to online - last time I pulled when I was out I think I was at school.

Makes perfect sense then, if your in a circle of people who are all in relationships I can't see why you wouldn't go online. I get the impression jimbob thinks it's the route people go if they're feeling disheartened by real life whereas I think the vast majority no matter what age are just branching out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement