Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

mood wrote: »
    Possible a stupid question but what is Ari Gold bulls%*t?

I could be wrong, but I believe he's a 'playa' kind of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

if you'le notice i said that.
    would you agree that what im saying is a better approach....:)

I didn't get that from what you said at all! Maybe I picked it up wrong, maybe not.

No I don't agree that yours is a better approach but just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There are different kinds of guys, different kinds of girls.

None of that Ari Gold bulls%*t would work on me and I would find the Disney question adorable. That's what I meant by demographics. You can't please all the people all the time.

That's the thing, if a girl puts up in her profile that she adores Disney films and watching one is her ideal Friday night in, surely she's not gonna be all, "Blergh, this dude likes Disney films! What a weirdy!"

PS: Ari Gold? Whats that?

Just googled Ari Gold. he's a character from Entourge...
    I'd rather die alone than fake that stuff! :eek: Sex and the City for boys IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I didn't get that from what you said at all! Maybe I picked it up wrong, maybe not.

No I don't agree that yours is a better approach but just my opinion.

i think we booth picked each other up wrong so can we, hugg it out and start over :)?

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »

I googled it as well. I would rather die alone that go out with a guy to fake that stuff!

I believe the key to dating (online or in the real world) is to be your self. Surely everyone wants to meet someone who likes them not the person they pretend to be!

you take that back :(

i think we booth picked each other up wrong so can we, hugg it out and start over :)?

Where is the hug smilie???

you take that back :(

I take back the Sex and the City bit....

So... Guys tell me my approach is wrong. Girls tell me it's the right way to go about it. Girls seem impervious to said approach...
    What's a boy to do?!?!? :confused:

Possible a stupid question but what is Ari Gold bulls%*t?
    I could be wrong, but I believe he's a 'playa' kind of guy.

nope he just damm funny but i stuck that in as a joke :o.....

sorry

• Advertisement

I take back the Sex and the City bit....

So... Guys tell me my approach is wrong. Girls tell me it's the right way to go about it. Girls seem impervious to said approach...
    What's a boy to do?!?!? :confused:

If you have only tried one site try a different one. The first one I used was terrible (free site). The second good (paid site). I think different sites seem to draw different types of people and different age groups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Sex and the City for boys IMO.

And that's a bad thing? :eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

From the TV show Entourage.
    EDIT: Now why the hell did everybodies posts not show up....feicin delays

ari_gold.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Holmer wrote: »
    Isn't Plenty of Fish just for getting the ride, as opposed to actual dating? I know a guy who

1. messages girls on POF in the morning.
    2. acquires their number and starts texting them at lunchtime
    3. has them over that night

Seeing the profiles on it, people seem to make it fairly obvious they're only looking for sex.
    I just signed up there..
    I don't think asking a girl which Disney film she likes best is being overly-intellectual..
    Bear in mind I phrase my mails a lot differently (was bullet pointing here for the sake of simpplicity and anomnity - im not actually a robot) and yes, I do throw in jokes too.
    Just didn't wanna copy n' paste a recent mail in case someone who recieved said mail posts on boards.

edit: Lemme clarify; I dont simply go "*Bzzt* Similar taste in film noticed. Compatibility assumed. *Bzzz*"
    I pick up on similar interests and try start a conversation about them.

Damn, coz I could really go for that ;) :P

I joined one "dating site", my friend told me to. Its like bebo, but all flirting and the like(im 17, so like, it wasnt POF or any of those) Interesting all the same. I just left my msn on show so they could contact me if they wanted, I wasnt bothered otherwise. Any messages I get I read in my e-mail. I dont think ive logged onto it in about a month :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm with SM. Intelligence, thoughtfulness and friendliness are ultimimately crucial but are a millstone around your neck in the beginning, IMO. The numbers suck for men. If you want to the numbers to favour you, you have to go lowest-common-denominator, and focus on 'banter', if you can pull it off.

A particualar friend of mine is as decent and thoughful a human being you could meet. He also has another side to his character. Call it his "charm" :rolleyes: He says he can never meet women by being 'himself'. You'd think he'd meet nothing but tarts using his charm. He meets really nice, decent girls EVERYWHERE he goes.

I learned that being yourself in the beginning doesn't work. It didn't stop me being myself but there is a futility to being Mr. Niceguy even if that's who you really are.

Galvasean, what age are you? I think men who are on the young side (like early 20s) find it a bit difficult to get anywhere on dating sites, for various reasons.

I'm 24.

I think.

I'm 24.

I think.

Ah, ok, here is my (probably half-baked) theory. You're probably a wee bit too young yet. Don't take that as an insult, please, it's not meant as one. But from my experience, women generally go older than them rather than younger and even the same age at a certain age. It's been this way for me and most other women of my acquaintance. Hard to say why, really. Possibly a subconscious need want for a provider - maybe we think the older the more likely he'll provide.

So, the age group most interested in you would probably be the 20-24s. The problem? Guaranteed there will be less women of this age group on dating websites than older women, because many women in their early 20s aren't all that focussed on having a relationship (probably true for men of this age too) and the ones of your age might very likely go for older men. I'm a bit wrecked writing this so am not sure I'm making sense. Hopefully I am. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Interesting theory PC.

I have to say I know very few couples where the man is older. The vast majority of couples I know are the same age (within a year or two).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

3 of my friends are married to older ladies.

One is a year younger.

Another is about three years younger.

The last one is about seven years younger than his wife.

The three lads are about the same age as me - 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I agree with PC. Galvasean, If you write on dating websites similar to your writing style here then your messages would be exactly what id go for. Interesting and intelligent guy who obviously doesn't take himself too seriously.
    Snow Monkey I would not even reply to, as its just not really my type of banter or humour.

The problem is I'm 28, and would just be looking for men in the that sort of age range. I reckon 24 year old women are far and few between on dating websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

panda100 wrote: »
    The problem is I'm 28, and would just be looking for men in the that sort of age range. I reckon 24 year old women are far and few between on dating websites.

+1 to this. The age range on dating sites seems to be more suited to 27-35 year olds than younger (I have no idea about the 35+, hopefully it is good for those of you in that range!). Obviously there are younger girls too, but just not as many and that leads to issues that some of the girls on here talk about a lot (huge amounts of emails etc).

Why the heck does everyone here think I'm intelligent? On Friday night I walked into a lamp post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Why the heck does everyone here think I'm intelligent? On Friday night I walked into a lamp post :o

You come across as intelligent tbf. your prob one of the smartest posters ive seen on here. also, palaeontology mod might have something to do with it......

*Galvasean changes dating site profile to say "I moderate a Palaeontology forum"*

*Inundated with mail from thousands of women* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

*Galvasean changes dating site profile to say "I moderate a Palaeontology forum"*

*Inundated with mail from thousands of women* :pac:

Go for it Sean!!

As a female user, I would much rather a more intelligent and personalised email than the usual "show us yer tits love" ones that I get....:rolleyes:
    I like reading the profiles to see if the guys are educated (either by worldly views or qualifications)or interested in more than going to the pub at the weekend or watching the footie. I'm still unsure as to whether it is just what guys do now or if they are writing to appeal to a certain audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Go for it Sean!!

As a female user, I would much rather a more intelligent and personalised email than the usual "show us yer tits love" ones that I get....:rolleyes:
    I like reading the profiles to see if the guys are educated (either by worldly views or qualifications)or interested in more than going to the pub at the weekend or watching the footie. I'm still unsure as to whether it is just what guys do now or if they are writing to appeal to a certain audience.

*changes profile to say professor in tallaght i.t :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Go for it Sean!!

You'll read this a lot on Boards but that's more to do with the quality of the posters on Boards. The reality is that most of the posters here, male and female, end up being subjected to attitudes that would be less than wholesome, at the risk of sounding like a jerk.

If I had more in common with women who went on along the lines of weekend/ clubbing/ woop woop/ weekend/ drink/ woop/ gym/ drink/ woop/ weekend, I would have been spoiled for choice. The nice girls seem to only get the sleazeballs.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit wrecked writing this so am not sure I'm making sense. Hopefully I am. :)

Plenty of sense :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement