Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

well then go on and have fun? I think the hole point of larianne's post was that people want different things. I think some people tend to forget that...

Nonsense, people will like what I tell them to like :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I have basically no inclination to signing up to any dating sites but some of the reporting back to this thread have made want to a bit just for a source of humour. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Galvasean wrote: »
    Nonsense, people will like what I tell them to like :pac:

no thats my line galva and its tm'ed to me tho illet you use it for a small fee :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

amacachi wrote: »
    I have basically no inclination to signing up to any dating sites but some of the reporting back to this thread have made want to a bit just for a source of humour. :pac:

It is good fun, I'm on a break from it at the moment enjoying my single time, if you do get the inclination, just enjoy it for the fun of it.

looky loo wrote: »
    It is good fun, I'm on a break from it at the moment enjoying my single time, if you do get the inclination, just enjoy it for the fun of it.

online dating is fun :eek:

its terffying :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

looky loo wrote: »

I meant more the hilarious spammy/perving responses than the actual meeting people thing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

amacachi wrote: »

Neither did I till I spent some time reading this thread. Signed up to PoF yesterday and I already got 1 mail.....it was an old work friend who spotted me :rolleyes:

Just tryin to work up the courage to mail someone else now eep :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

liz2 wrote: »
    so how are you getting on with that? ;)

Did you read the subsequent posts on the thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

Samich wrote: »
    Did you read the subsequent posts on the thread :P

yeah i did..now what were the chances of that eh :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

liz2 wrote: »
    yeah i did..now what were the chances of that eh :pac:

Very high :P Getting on well though :)

• Advertisement

I'm not ranting but why do women say

Hey, how are you?

Girl I'm currently chatting to sent me a poem about Stegosaurus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'm not ranting but why do women say

Hey, how are you?

Lol if you read through all the posts you will find there are worse emails to receive then that!! By the way its not particular to women!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Date number 3 is tonight....its was weird to finally meet her after all the texts and email.
    this might sound strange but im finding it hard to link her in person with her from the emails/texts, hopefull that'll change as we spend mre time together.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I have been on some online dating sites and to be honest I don't think the
    Hey, how are you? Approach is bad for either man or woman.

It lets the recipient know that the mailer is interested so that they can either reply back or leave be without the initial mailer killing themselves writing a long email based on a profile of someone who may not even respond..

If the recipient likes the look of you and your profile it won't matter too much what you say..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

It lets the recipient know that the mailer is interested so that they can either reply back or leave be without the initial mailer killing themselves writing a long email based on a profile of someone who may not even respond..

If the recipient likes the look of you and your profile it won't matter too much what you say..

Exactly. Lost count of the number of times I have written a nice email about the persons profile etc only to have it read and deleted - or not even read at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Only works if you have a decent profile yourself, I'll always look at someones profile if they mail me. But if its a 'hi, how are you message' and their profile is blank... then I draw a blank on what to reply, if they have a pic then at best they'll get a 'great thanks, how you finding the site?' mail back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Well i've decided to give up on the sites again! My tolerance period seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

Looks like i need a bigger break (vague jaws reference there for ya) from them.

best of luck to all ya'all who keep on persevering with them.

I'm gonna stay on this here thread though, it restores my faith in humanity
    ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

4 messages this morning, all a varient of "hi how r u" , latest was just "hi hun".
    At least im getting them I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

zuroph wrote: »
    4 messages this morning, all a varient of "hi how r u" , latest was just "hi hun".
    At least im getting them I suppose

Lucky u ... I have the Site Burned out @ the Moment!!! Need a reset Button:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭duke916

Just been looking at the' Women who ask about your job and how much you earn! thread and it got me thinking about a regular occurrence im having on pof. while its ok to ask someone what they work at but not what salary they earn, as its considered a little too personal. Its similar to a question ive been getting on the site.

ok so ive been single two years (after 5 year relationship), but ive been asked 'why did it end?' I usually reply with 'well all that's in the past' or 'id prefer not to get into a conversation about a past relationship'. but some girls keep at it and at it. So i get this girl who says she doesnt want to talk to me because she doesnt think im over my ex! ...all because i wouldnt have a full blown conversation with a complete stranger about something personal. some nutters on there!

I think the fact that you CAN put everything about yourself on a public site some people seem to have interpreted that as you SHOULD put it all up there and if you don't you must be hiding something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh God no. I hate it hate it hate it hate it when guys just say 'Hi hun' or 'Hi how are you'

They could at least put SOME effort in to read my profile and say something like 'Hey how are you today? Did you have a good weekend? I see on your profile you like _____ . How you getting on with that?" etc.

Doesn't have to be a super long email but something like that shows they at least took the time to read your profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You're all very brave, I'll give you that. Putting yourselves out there(or on line)like that.
    Please dont take offence at this but from whats been said on this thread and from what I've heard from others who've internet dated, it just seems like an experience fraught with humiliation, rejection, embarressment, indignity, frustration and self doubt. It doesnt seem to have many positives.
    Is it such a bad experience? And if it is, why keep at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

duke916 wrote: »
    Just been looking at the' Women who ask about your job and how much you earn! thread
    !
    One word for that Gold DIGGERS!!!Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Got some message from a girl on one of the sites that pretty much insulted me. :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Another rejected chat, one day, one day. The only problem is down here in culchie land it'll be about another two weeks before someone I haven't tried comes along.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

On the topic of inapproriate questions, I've been asked twice on first dates if both my parents are still alive. Both times was completely out of context of the conversation - even I with my first date awkwardness usually manage not to talk about death!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Dord wrote: »
    Got some message from a girl on one of the sites that pretty much insulted me. :confused:

How so?

I got a few that turned nasty if I didn't reply quickly enough and at least one mean first email. I think it went: "Men might tell you you're attractive but you're not really, average at best."

I was hurt for a minute, then angry. Then I took my time and composed an honest response: Why on earth would you want to attack another stranger without knowing anything about them, what they might think about their own appearance etc.

I blocked him immediately so I'll never know if it managed to pierce his wizened heart :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

On the topic of inapproriate questions, I've been asked twice on first dates if both my parents are still alive. Both times was completely out of context of the conversation - even I with my first date awkwardness usually manage not to talk about death!

I don't think it's that inappropriate but myself, I would stay away from it alright. First date should be getting to know the person and not the background, you should be able to leave the first date pretty much as anonymous as you entered. I don't like saying about where I live/ or grew up either on a first date (which part of the city).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement