Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

I think once you turn 25, things might change!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Not exactly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

panda100 wrote: »
    I agree with PC. Galvasean, If you write on dating websites similar to your writing style here then your messages would be exactly what id go for. Interesting and intelligent guy who obviously doesn't take himself too seriously.
    Snow Monkey I would not even reply to, as its just not really my type of banter or humour.

well theres your problem you use a pc, if you used a mac you develop a sense of humor an always know your right... Goes with the trade Princess.....

Oh and who are you :confused:

your invisible i mean wtf do i care if you wouldnt date me or not get over your self!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Galvasean wrote: »
    Why the heck does everyone here think I'm intelligent? On Friday night I walked into a lamp post :o

Stop ruining it! People thinking you're intelligent is a good thing. :p

And, since I haven't asked in awhile, WHEN IS POAZ OUT?!

liah wrote: »
    Stop ruining it! People thinking you're intelligent is a good thing. :p

will you help me with some html please :)

thank you

html never listens to me :mad:

• Advertisement

Sure thing, still have my email/msn from the last time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Nah as I said earlier, you just get a new set of people ignoring you :pac:

Sure thing, still have my email/msn from the last time?

Course i do email in bound and its really stupid :o

I couldnt bring my self to ask my friend :o im that embarrassed :)

Course i do email in bound and its really stupid :o

I couldnt bring my self to ask my friend :o im that embarrassed :)

I'll see what I can do :) Will send it back within the hour most likely.

Go for it Sean!!

As a female user, I would much rather a more intelligent and personalised email than the usual "show us yer tits love" ones that I get....:rolleyes:
    I like reading the profiles to see if the guys are educated (either by worldly views or qualifications)or interested in more than going to the pub at the weekend or watching the footie. I'm still unsure as to whether it is just what guys do now or if they are writing to appeal to a certain audience.

Actually speaking of that, I think it is a bit of column A and column B. I'm pretty educated (well I nearly have the alphabet after my name on the top of my CV...makes signing my name on dole day a pain though :pac:) and love literature, world cinema, walks/nature and basically all things cultural. But I love sport and have always watched/played sport.

I have noticed that depending on the girl, I can write emails that emphasize different parts of my personality. I'm not hiding who I am, but I'm still appealing to a particular audience.

• Advertisement

I'll see what I can do :) Will send it back within the hour most likely.

i cant do it right now tho as I'm no were near my computer im in la college cause Im good like that smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Actually speaking of that, I think it is a bit of column A and column B. I'm pretty educated (well I nearly have the alphabet after my name on the top of my CV...makes signing my name on dole day a pain though :pac:) and love literature, world cinema, walks/nature and basically all things cultural. But I love sport and have always watched/played sport.

I have noticed that depending on the girl, I can write emails that emphasize different parts of my personality. I'm not hiding who I am, but I'm still appealing to a particular audience.

Everyone should do this tbh.Otherwise the mails can seem samey and just a copy and paste job.

We should try and present the qualities we have that appear most compatible with whomever we are messaging.

Look at it like a cover letter when applying for a job,you need to tailor yourself to the particular individual same as you would to a job.

You arent being deceptive,more that we are essentially selling ourselves and excentuating the positives.

Everyone should do this tbh.Otherwise the mails can seem samey and just a copy and paste job.

We should try and present the qualities we have that appear most compatible with whomever we are messaging.

Look at it like a cover letter when applying for a job,you need to tailor yourself to the particular individual same as you would to a job.

You arent being deceptive,more that we are essentially selling ourselves and excentuating the positives.

Oh yeah I agree. I just wanted to emphasize that people are not necessarily hiding aspects of themselves, but are still writing to appeal to a certain audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

But that's what I mean - I would assume that you would state all preferences on your profile to show you as a well rounded person.
    I have nothing against sporty guys, or book worms or artistic sorts, or any combination of traits and characteristics in guys - but I will have nothing in common with a guy who lives in the pub and his only social outlet is the pub and everything revolves around getting hammered, and he is happy with that lot and doesn't want to do anything more.
    Some of the profiles I see their hobbies comprise of going to the pub, and the joke about "what's a book?" there is nothing more to them - and if there is, they are not sharing that.

Some of the profiles I see their hobbies comprise of going to the pub, and the joke about "what's a book?" there is nothing more to them - and if there is, they are not sharing that.

+1 to all you said, but especially this. I see a lot of girls profiles pretty similar to that as well.

+1 to all you said, but especially this. I see a lot of girls profiles pretty similar to that as well.

It drives me friggin nuts :rolleyes:

I wonder is it an age thing....I mean I'm 30 - so I'd be browsing the profiles 25-35 ish mark

It drives me friggin nuts :rolleyes:

I wonder is it an age thing....I mean I'm 30 - so I'd be browsing the profiles 25-35 ish mark

Not sure really as I had put it down to it being a younger persons thing since I'd see a lot of profiles in the early 20s. I guess it's just a people thing!

They obviously have to have some other interest other than the pub. But it is just annoying to read under interests "I dunno, pub lol".

Not sure really as I had put it down to it being a younger persons thing since I'd see a lot of profiles in the early 20s. I guess it's just a people thing!

They obviously have to have some other interest other than the pub. But it is just annoying to read under interests "I dunno, pub lol".

Yup its the lower end of the age scale I see it a lot in - maybe I'm just old :(

Yup its the lower end of the age scale I see it a lot in - maybe I'm just old :(

I'm not old and I agree, unless I'm an old soul!

No I think there's always that section of people who are not very good at expressing themselves through words, another section who don't put enough effort in and then another segment who are just a bit dim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

So one of the girls i work with told me she had joined the site im on and was surprised to see me pop up in her search results. I think she was intending to make fun of me but since i just said "ya im on the site" like it wasnt a big deal that intention went away.

She told me shes already gotten a good few messages from weirdos which kind of adds to the experiences of other female users who have mentioned it here.

I honestly wonder do those guys ever actually get any kind of positive response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

your invisible i mean wtf do i care if you wouldnt date me or not get over your self!
    Invisible hugs :P

th_aw_bearhug.gif
    Hm. A good starting point. Never know what to write :o

the_syco wrote: »

Hm. A good starting point. Never know what to write :o

Its obviously much easier when the female has a decent profile up ie more than 5 or 6 lines.

What Ive found as being a good approach is re-iterating your own qualities and linking them with what she has said in her profile.

eg
    So I see that you like animals/travelling or what ever.Well so do I,Im a big supporter of animal rights/I like nothing more than going on mini adventures - have you ever been to. . . . . .

Of course what ever you are writing should be the truth though!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

November.
    (but I get to see the rough cut in May)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Of course what ever you are writing should be the truth though!
    Aye. One of my recent messages to someone was:
    "a reformed trekkie"? Gah. Go watch Babylon5 (all of it) and you'll be reformed totally :D :P

Unless of course they bring out a new series based on the alternative universe that the last film made -.-

Can't wait for Duke to be released. Gonna be epic :D

And yes, as you can see I generally suck at these "how'r'ya" messages :P
    the_syco wonders is there a manual for this sort of thing :P

Personally Id never put in "i suck at these types of messages" into a first mail.Its the same as women that have it in their profile,to me it smacks of not really making an effort whether thats the case or not,ya know?

I don't get those profiles that start with things like, "I can't believe I'm actually doing this..." or "Never thought I'd be on a dating website...."
    Yeah? What are ya, too cool for the rest of us internet filth?

Also, I have noticed recently an alarming number of very old looking 28 year olds... like REALLY old looking...

I don't get those profiles that start with things like, "I can't believe I'm actually doing this..." or "Never thought I'd be on a dating website...."

Also, I have noticed recently an alarming number of very old looking 28 year olds... like REALLY old looking...

Prolly 1 of 2 reasons for that.

1 - she is lying about her age.

2 - she is caked in make up on a night out and the camera flash shows up the few wrinkles she has and makes them look a helluva lot worse cos they are filled with the aforementioned make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

+1, always bugged me.

Not all of us age fabulously :P

No to botox!

No, I think it's just 40somethings trying to appeal to a different demograph and failing miserably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

No, I think it's just 40somethings trying to appeal to a different demograph and failing miserably.

Most of them don't even look rich or anything :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement