Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

"Men might tell you you're attractive but you're not really, average at best."

I'm sure you're stunning :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I'm sure you're stunning :)

Very sweet :o

Twas a few years ago now so I've managed to recover :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I don't think it's that inappropriate but myself, I would stay away from it alright. First date should be getting to know the person and not the background, you should be able to leave the first date pretty much as anonymous as you entered. I don't like saying about where I live/ or grew up either on a first date (which part of the city).

Maybe inappropriate is the wrong word, it's not like it's a secret topic. It's definitely a weird question to ask though, especially as I'm in my twenties so it's hardly a topic that applies to the majority of people my age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Dord wrote: »
    Got some message from a girl on one of the sites that pretty much insulted me. :confused:

in cas ya didn't see before, some girl I messaged called me a loser for not having my pic up, then I sent the pic and told me she'd only date me if I went to the gym :P Really shows a lack of intelligence insulting a stranger I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Samich wrote: »
    Really shows a lack of intelligence insulting a stranger I think.

It can really knock the sheet out of someone who's low in confidence also, it's just not nice but that's the interweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

in cas ya didn't see before, some girl I messaged called me a loser for not having my pic up, then I sent the pic and told me she'd only date me if I went to the gym :P Really shows a lack of intelligence insulting a stranger I think.

I hope she is working to maintain the same standards of perfection that she demands of others! :rolleyes: Putting that much negativity out into the world will only bring it back on herself, perhaps that is why she is also having difficulty meeting someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The message I got wasn't that bad but it really wasn't something you'd send to someone on a dating site. I had one a few months back that was slagging me because of the message restrictions I had turned on. I believe she changed her details off to message me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Dord wrote: »
    The message I got wasn't that bad but it really wasn't something you'd send to someone on a dating site. I had one a few months back that was slagging me because of the message restrictions I had turned on. I believe she changed her details off to message me. :rolleyes:
    Ur in there !!!!:D:D:D

either that or she a stalker:cool::cool::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Anyone got any tips on how to write up a profile on one of these sites?

Also, is there any other websites, besides POF which has an active membership from the Limerick region?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

busyliving wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips on how to write up a profile on one of these sites?

Also, is there any other websites, besides POF which has an active membership from the Limerick region?

POF is your real option, I've done OKc and POF and there's way more in Lim on POF. Think I counted 7 girls active on OKc in Lim in the last month.
    That said, the profile on OKc is more detailed. So once I was moving to POF, I copied what I had on OKc, and slightly edited it together to use on POF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

zuroph wrote: »
    So once I was moving to POF, I copied what I had on OKc, and slightly edited it together to use on POF.

Nice efficiency :D

POF is your real option, I've done OKc and POF and there's way more in Lim on POF. Think I counted 7 girls active on OKc in Lim in the last month.
    That said, the profile on OKc is more detailed. So once I was moving to POF, I copied what I had on OKc, and slightly edited it together to use on POF.

Pof Is Better for Active Women. Lot of ones from cork on okC& dormant ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Very sweet :o

Twas a few years ago now so I've managed to recover :pac:

If ya need a shoulder, i know a guy :)

It's me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭oompaloompa

What's wrong with Dublin girls? I know from a practical perspective...someone close by for random dates is great....but I always wonder if there is actually only one person out there for us, then are we not settling for the easy option if we just look in our own little area?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Oh God no. I hate it hate it hate it hate it when guys just say 'Hi hun' or 'Hi how are you'

They could at least put SOME effort in to read my profile and say something like 'Hey how are you today? Did you have a good weekend? I see on your profile you like _____ . How you getting on with that?" etc.

Doesn't have to be a super long email but something like that shows they at least took the time to read your profile.

I agree the 'Hi Hun' is just wrong but
    I really don't see, if they have a pretty decent profile themself, as said above,
    why anyone should have to make a big effort with someone who may just ignore the mail anyway..
    Just my opinion and experience from them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I agree the 'Hi Hun' is just wrong but
    I really don't see, if they have a pretty decent profile themself, as said above,
    why anyone should have to make a big effort with someone who may just ignore the mail anyway..
    Just my opinion and experience from them..

At this stage i agree.

Initially i WAS putting effort into the mails i was sending out, and getting some replies, but most were ignored. Now, while i'm waiting for my paid subscription to expire (C'MOOOOOON Sunday!!) if i would be even bothered logging on (lets face it, i will... iTouch app... curses!!) and if i see someone online who hasn't previously ignored mails who i think, yup you're attractive, then it will be a one liner. Minimal effort. If she views my profile and writes back then my second mail will at least involve SOME proper interaction, but the initial contact mail, feck it.

What's wrong with Dublin girls? I know from a practical perspective...someone close by for random dates is great....but I always wonder if there is actually only one person out there for us, then are we not settling for the easy option if we just look in our own little area?

I'm sure they is nothing wrong with Dublin girls:D

But as I'm just wetting my toes into the world of online dating, I'd like to stay within my comfort zone to a certain extent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I'm sure they is nothing wrong with Dublin girls:D

But as I'm just wetting my toes into the world of online dating, I'd like to stay within my comfort zone to a certain extent

thanks..... Now I've got that beach boys song in my head....

Oh the east coast girls are hip,
    I really dig those styles the wear, GC Edit, cos nothing says classy like a pair of pj's at 2 in the afternoon collecting little jacintha from the school with a fag hanging out of your mouth

edit to the edit, i'm taking the mick.

gatecrash wrote: »
    thanks..... Now I've got that beach boys song in my head....

Oh the east coast girls are hip,
    I really dig those styles the wear, GC Edit, cos nothing says classy like a pair of pj's at 2 in the afternoon collecting little jacintha from the school with a fag hanging out of your mouth

edit to the edit, i'm taking the mick.

Which beach boys song?

might be a bit awkard going to dublin on ur first date if u live far down the country. U cant expect to go to ur' Date' @ the end of the night & ask any chance u can stay the night in their place !!

• Advertisement

might be a bit awkard going to dublin on ur first date if u live far down the country. U cant expect to go to ur' Date' @ the end of the night & ask any chance u can stay the night in their place !!

I've done that in the past :D The old ah sheet I've missed my last train.

I've done that in the past :D The old ah sheet I've missed my last train.

U are screwed then if she says no.!!! nowhere to go:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I mail people from all over the country really, if the distance thing is not their cup of tea then I understand that. I at least try first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I mail people from all over the country really, if the distance thing is not their cup of tea then I understand that. I at least try first though!

I get mail from all around the country and send some too however Im looking for someone to date regularly as in lets go out tonight etc not a long distance thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

The distance things can be a bit dragy i find.... and fasutration

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Dovies wrote: »
    I get mail from all around the country and send some too however Im looking for someone to date regularly as in lets go out tonight etc not a long distance thing.

That'd be what I'd be after too but it's always good to branch out a little, you never really know what friends you'd end up making if you just chatted! I've made two friends now that I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

U are screwed then if she says no.!!! nowhere to go:cool:

Can always stay in a cheap ole hostel.

Xios wrote: »
    Can always stay in a cheap ole hostel.

Never failed :cool:

I've never done it in Ireland due to the last train home being at 18h30. I did it a few times when I was living abroad, I'm sure the ladies could have brought it up as much as I didn't (that sounds so wrong :D). I have a car now so it wouldn't work very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Ok so the last month has been a absolute disaster. It looks likes thats pretty much been the case for everyone else.. So does anyone want to organize a Boards Single Mingle. I know Snorlax did something like that a few years back. I think it even had the same name. I think it was supposed to of gone reasonably well. I'd offer to organize it. But I'm a disaster when it comes to these things. Everyone would be waiting months for it to happen. It would wind up being in a cardboard box somewhere and maybe four people might show up. So any volunteers?

• Advertisement

Ok so the last month has been a absolute disaster. It looks likes thats pretty much been the case for everyone else.. So does anyone want to organize a Boards Single Mingle. I know Snorlax did something like that a few years back. I think it even had the same name. I think it was supposed to of gone reasonably well. I'd offer to organize it. But I'm a disaster when it comes to these things. Everyone would be waiting months for it to happen. It would wind up being in a cardboard box somewhere and maybe four people might show up. So any volunteers?

Well I could probably help out, but only if it were to be held in Limerick that is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement