Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I have also found that the majority of guys I spoke to on POF have double lives. They start off saying they are looking to date. They tell you they live at home with parents and offer to stay in a hotel. Then you chat some more and realise that they consider themselves single but their "female friend" is coming back to Ireland next week and they will "start" back in a relationship with that person.

Or another story is that they are openly in a relationship. They suggest that their girlfriend is really cool with them exploring new options in their relationship. You are asked to meet them first.

The list of fake stories goes on about guys cheating with girlfriends.

Some are so obvious:

They dont have their own place, say they live at home - then you find out they actually live at home with girlfriend.

Anyway, I never found this sort of crap on match.com. You really do pay for what you get in life. Or in the case of POF, dont be surprised as it is a free website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I have also found that the majority of guys I spoke to on POF have double lives. They start off saying they are looking to date. They tell you they live at home with parents and offer to stay in a hotel. Then you chat some more and realise that they consider themselves single but their "female friend" is coming back to Ireland next week and they will "start" back in a relationship with that person.

Or another story is that they are openly in a relationship. They suggest that their girlfriend is really cool with them exploring new options in their relationship. You are asked to meet them first.

The list of fake stories goes on about guys cheating with girlfriends.

Some are so obvious:

They dont have their own place, say they live at home - then you find out they actually live at home with girlfriend.

Anyway, I never found this sort of crap on match.com. You really do pay for what you get in life. Or in the case of POF, dont be surprised as it is a free website.

Maybe you've just been unlucky.

Not all us blokes are pathological liars

gatecrash wrote: »
    Maybe you've just been unlucky.

Not all us blokes are pathological liars

No I have not been unlucky. It is just purely down to how serious people take it.

Free website: some genuine guys, lots of guys chancing their arm, married/attached men looking for fling....finding the genuine guys is like looking for a needle in hay stack. The free website breeds these people because they know if it doesnt work out they have not lost anything and just move onto the next naive person.

Paid website: not guaranteed to meet someone, but less messers and less likely to meet married/attached men = nicer dates and atmosphere in general. They have more to lose, they have parted with actual cash and therefore more likely to take it seriously.

No I have not been unlucky. It is just purely down to how serious people take it.

Free website: some genuine guys, lots of guys chancing their arm, married/attached men looking for fling....finding the genuine guys is like looking for a needle in hay stack. The free website breeds these people because they know if it doesnt work out they have not lost anything and just move onto the next naive person.

Paid website: not guaranteed to meet someone, but less messers and less likely to meet married/attached men = nicer dates and atmosphere in general. They have more to lose, they have parted with actual cash and therefore more likely to take it seriously.

Maybe i'm just innocent and naive!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Women are just as bad. They seem to predominantly ask for proper introduction mails when you write to them, not just one line 'make an effort lads', etc. And then they don't bother writing back.

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    Women are just as bad. They seem to predominantly ask for proper introduction mails when you write to them, not just one line 'make an effort lads', etc. And then they don't bother writing back.

I had a doozy last week.

I sent the first mail, got chatting, one liners to each other.

After 4 or 5 of them i volunteered my name, she sent hers back.

Chatted for a bit, then she sent me a "tell me about yourself" mail.

I gave a small few details, where i live, have a job, 2 dogs in the house etc, and asked her about her.

She sent me back something along the lines of "Not what i was looking for, tell me about you"

At this stage, she has my name, where i live, and what part of Dublin I work in.... I have her name and that's it. So my response was "I did tell you a bit about me, now it's your turn! :)"

I got back this rambling mail about my values not being the same as hers and how i was more materialistic about things and how that was not even the basis for a friendship......

She's gonna make SOME guy lucky someday. :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

gatecrash wrote: »
    I had a doozy last week.

I sent the first mail, got chatting, one liners to each other.

After 4 or 5 of them i volunteered my name, she sent hers back.

Chatted for a bit, then she sent me a "tell me about yourself" mail.

I gave a small few details, where i live, have a job, 2 dogs in the house etc, and asked her about her.

She sent me back something along the lines of "Not what i was looking for, tell me about you"

At this stage, she has my name, where i live, and what part of Dublin I work in.... I have her name and that's it. So my response was "I did tell you a bit about me, now it's your turn! :)"

I got back this rambling mail about my values not being the same as hers and how i was more materialistic about things and how that was not even the basis for a friendship......

She's gonna make SOME guy lucky someday. :P:pac:

She wanted your credit ard number silly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Have to agree about match.com, found it really great so far, OKC is like a graveyard site compared to it.....

As soon as you log on to match you get winks, IM's, emails etc and the guys on it seem like a pretty decent bunch. Haven't tried POF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Have to agree about match.com, found it really great so far, OKC is like a graveyard site compared to it.....

As soon as you log on to match you get winks, IM's, emails etc and the guys on it seem like a pretty decent bunch. Haven't tried POF

Is it just me, or is paying €100 for a six months not a little expensive for a dating site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

busyliving wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is paying €100 for a six months not a little expensive for a dating site?

Nope its not just you. Personally I think its madness

• Advertisement

You have to look out for the special €5 a month offer they have on match.com. They usually have this around October time. The thing to remember it to cancel your subscription right away and just sign up for one month as otherwise they keep deducting money.

I did sign up to match.com as a full member for 6 months back in 2006 (ive had my profile since 2002 on match.com). I am not sure of their policy but back then they gave you another 6 months free if you did not find a match within the initial 6 months. So that wasnt too bad. However I moved country in the 2nd free 6 months. It is international so you can switch countries on it, but back then it was not as popular in the country I had moved to at the time. I met some really nice guys and it was funny. At least 20 of them are still good friends....whereas I never made friends from POF.

Sure I am on POF, but since the beginning of this year the quality of people on the site is completely going downhill. As in more chancers/messers/married guys with double lives/email quality gone more seedy. At least match.com has the wink facility which means people are less judgemental.

I also find on POF men are very nosey. Even if you do find them interesting and reply to their email they ask you about 50 million times where you live, for your mobile number, add as facebook friend etc. I have learnt not to give that information out because you keep getting text messages from people who you have never replied to etc. I really hate the "what area do you live in, what is your job questions"? What happened to what are your interests, do we have anything in common? What is with the add as Facebook friend? That never works adding a stranger to your facebook friend list...

Overall I dont rate POF or OKcupid at all. match.com miles better. However all in all, I still think it is better to meet people in the real world as oppose to online dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

anyone near a tv, put on channel 4 now!! program about some fella with 3 internet ladies on the go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

anyone near a tv, put on channel 4 now!! program about some fella with 3 internet ladies on the go!!

:eek::eek: everyone will know me now:D:D

busyliving wrote: »

Definite madness. some of the women u see on match.com are the same ones u see on Pof. So u have no chance of contacting them again cause they wont answer.Very limited range if u live down the country same old faces on it. waste of 100e.
    Some of them are very shallow as well.
    it would be like the women her not talking to any of the lads if they had a picture up. without even knowing what they are like.
    proved it one nite on Pof:
    Mailed with photo on go no response.
    Mailed them with photo on private got better response of people till they asked.

Definite madness. some of the women u see on match.com are the same ones u see on Pof. So u have no chance of contacting them again cause they wont answer.Very limited range if u live down the country same old faces on it. waste of 100e.
    it would be like the women her not talking to any of the lads if they had a picture up. without even knowing what they are like.
    Mailed them with photo on private got better response of people till they asked.

ive learnt now asking for private photos on POF = photo of cock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Yea I stay away from match.com purely because they refuse to sign you up in any form other than an automatic recurring debit, i.e. specifically so they can hook you into paying more than you intended in the first place (no other reason they'd force people to pay that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Now here, the fact that a girl doesn't reply is (strangely enough! Jaysis!) she doesn't fancy your punk ass. Girls, believe it or not, have just as much a right to ignore you if they don't like the look of you just as you would (and I'm ****ing on the money here) ignore a girl who doesn't fit into what you're looking for.

What are you looking for? What turns you off?

Women have as much a right to reply and ignore guys just as much as you do. I get the odd message from someone I have no interest in. What do I do? Ignore? Reply? I think ignore is the best option, if you reply you're only giving the person false hope. Took me a while to cop this, also took me a while to cop that women get WAY more messages on average than guys and I think it doesn't even need to be said that a good looking girl could get the guts of a few hundred messages a WEEK!

Relax is what I'm saying. If a girl likes you I can promise you she'll let you know about it.

Online dating is a load of ****e until you get the hang of it, when you do......believe me it works wonders. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Well I went back on Plenty of Fish....
    Not too sure.. I know I was on it before myself but the same heads are still on it and not very many new ones.
    I will try and keep optimistic but :(
    Have said before it's grand for someone not to send you a mile long email about them but these hi x and cute x mails are just awful!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MrSausage

Has anyone here used a Ukranian/Russian dating website? Or are you apecifically talking about the Irish ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Not too sure.. I know I was on it before myself but the same heads are still on it and not very many new ones.
    Have said before it's grand for someone not to send you a mile long email about them but these hi x and cute x mails are just awful!! lol

Pm me your pof username and I'll send you a message you'll never forget!:D

• Advertisement

see never happy:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    see ur dammed if u do and dammed if u dont :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

magneticimpulse please stop with the men bashing its a little anoying to read and considering you are

1. In a gentleman's room
    2. Giving bi est opinions to people who are thinking about trying something that a lot of people have and do enjoy.... Over your bad experence.
    3. Its getting annoying
    4. Men have to read this to
    5. Yes men bitch about women, but while we may bitch we have some positive things to say... You've really not shared anythign nice

Also a great man or woman said if you go looking for trouble itle find you...

You seem to have an attitude that would say that all you see are men in a negitive light.. All you will experience is negativity...

How ever those who are positive and real and don't take anything seriously Im sure the experiences may improve with any look..

to end

people do whats right bye them you cant fault that at all.... just respect. it

Pm me your pof username and I'll send you a message you'll never forget!:D

Haha sounds like an offer no woman could refuse ;)

see never happy:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    see ur dammed if u do and dammed if u dont :D:D:D:D:D:D

I know I know..
    Us women and our sky high standards.. :p

magneticimpulse please stop with the men bashing its a little anoying to read and considering you are

1. In a gentleman's room
    2. Giving bi est opinions to people who are thinking about trying something that a lot of people have and do enjoy.... Over your bad experence.
    3. Its getting annoying
    4. Men have to read this to
    5. Yes men bitch about women, but while we may bitch we have some positive things to say... You've really not shared anythign nice

Also a great man or woman said if you go looking for trouble itle find you...

You seem to have an attitude that would say that all you see are men in a negitive light.. All you will experience is negativity...

How ever those who are positive and real and don't take anything seriously Im sure the experiences may improve with any look..

to end

people do whats right bye them you cant fault that at all.... just respect. it

I am not Men bashing at all!!! I am POF bashing....huge difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I am not Men bashing at all!!! I am POF bashing....huge difference

your bashing men on pof... men who are this forum who having nothing but good intentions.

I dotn think theres a difference I havent read one Nice thing you've said about online dating....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think for every weirdo/sleazy guy on POF there is equally the same amount of girl equivalents!

I've my photos private now so I don't get half the amount of mails I usually would get. Its a bit risky because some guys might not take interest due to having private pics and it means I have to contact them, but it does mean I'm more in control of it and it's definitely less hassle.

Maybe have someone check out your profile Magneticimpulse and how it's worded. It could be attracting a certain type of guy?!? I've never been sent a picture of a cock from users on PoF. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

Had my strangest internet experience ever last night. I saw someone i've been mailing in real life.

Before you ask, no I didn't go over and say hi, Even in my drunken state I don't think I could have handled the embarrassment if it wasn't him.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anotherfriend, while having some merits as a site, has this bizarre mass email facility which allows people spam you. I want to hear from people who have read my profile and who see something in common with it. I do not want to hear from people looking for same sex relationships when I have said that I am looking for someone of the opposite sex and I dod not want to hear from smokers with a 25 year age gap, as nothing that I have posted suggests any interest in such a person.

If you are reading this Anotherfriend, this facility is damaging your site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Had my strangest internet experience ever last night. I saw someone i've been mailing in real life.

Before you ask, no I didn't go over and say hi, Even in my drunken state I don't think I could have handled the embarrassment if it wasn't him.

I sometimes think about this! :eek: How weird was that!?!?!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement