Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

Larianne wrote: »
    I sometimes think about this! :eek: How weird was that!?!?!!

So strange, had to stop myself from gawking at him, I've no idea if he recognised me, too weird for me to mail him asking what he's been up to for the weekend ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

So strange, had to stop myself from gawking at him, I've no idea if he recognised me, too weird for me to mail him asking what he's been up to for the weekend ? :pac:

Nah, I'd actually suggest telling him that you think you saw him but didn't want to go up and say hello unless it wasn't him. :cool: I don't see how it's weird? :confused:

Nah, I'd actually suggest telling him that you think you saw him but didn't want to go up and say hello unless it wasn't him. :cool: I don't see how it's weird? :confused:

yeah I think i'll do that. Only creepy because I don't know if I want to remind him of the girl who kept staring at him with a confused look on her face.

In other news I finally got through all 180 odd mails.. replied to around 10. Not a great success rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

yeah I think i'll do that. Only creepy because I don't know if I want to remind him of the girl who kept staring at him with a confused look on her face.

In other news I finally got through all 180 odd mails.. replied to around 10. Not a great success rate
    :eek:

180 mails... do you like click block on the ones that you dont like ?

1 in 18 aint bad now

i cant get over that figure thats like insane :eek: do you have a rating system ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Maybe have someone check out your profile Magneticimpulse and how it's worded. It could be attracting a certain type of guy?!? I've never been sent a picture of a cock from users on PoF. :cool:

If I knew more I could rectify that for ya. :pac:

• Advertisement

1 in 18 aint bad now

i cant get over that figure thats like insane :eek: do you have a rating system ?

I'm obviously just smokin hawwwt :rolleyes:

nah I set up my profile but I only went online to check mails for a week or two and didnt reply to anyone so the mails just built up

jenny111111, can't see how he'd think it was weird. Good conversation started anyways! :)

amacachi wrote: »
    If I knew more I could rectify that for ya. :pac:

That might be a bit weird if I then saw you around campus! :pac:

"oh look, there's the guy from the internet who sent me a pic of his cock.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That might be a bit weird if I then saw you around campus! :pac:

"oh look, there's the guy from the internet who sent me a pic of his cock.."

Think I'll be dropping out :(

Anyway, who said anything about my cock? :pac:

I'm obviously just smokin hawwwt :rolleyes:

nah I set up my profile but I only went online to check mails for a week or two and didnt reply to anyone so the mails just built up

beauty such a curse child :pac: pray that time may take it away from you quickly :P

ahh well thats not so bad...Its got ot at least put a spring in your tail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Maybe have someone check out your profile Magneticimpulse and how it's worded. It could be attracting a certain type of guy?!? I've never been sent a picture of a cock from users on PoF. :cool:

Here Larianne:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

your bashing men on pof... men who are this forum who having nothing but good intentions.

I dotn think theres a difference I havent read one Nice thing you've said about online dating....

It is a forum, it doesnt mean everybody has to have a nice thing to say about online dating. I am giving my honest opinion. There is no point having rose tinted glasses about the situation. Its not a case of one size fits all. This is about sharing good and bad experiences.

I have been online dating since 2002. Ive done paid and free dating sites. Ive spent in region €300 plus on the paid ones. I think at this stage I can safely say that if I am still single after 9 years online dating, and 100,000 winks later that it has not work. I think it is fair to share my experience with other people!!! Thats alot of emails...average 10 a day for 9 years....sometimes 100 depending on how often i use my profile.

In saying that I have been going clubbing/pub every weekend since 1998...so I can conclude both pub scene and online dating has not been fruitful experience. Just because you dont want to hear someones "negative" experience does not mean you have the right to tell them to stop sharing that experience.

Also doesnt mean that I am doing something wrong. I am an average person just like the next. I am a firm believer that you are more likely to meet a partner in work, studying same subject, same hobby, same interests. I think I would have a much higher success rate if I just wore a T-Shirt on a night out with "single and up for a mingle" or whatever.

I think for every weirdo/sleazy guy on POF there is equally the same amount of girl equivalents!

I've my photos private now so I don't get half the amount of mails I usually would get. Its a bit risky because some guys might not take interest due to having private pics and it means I have to contact them, but it does mean I'm more in control of it and it's definitely less hassle.

No unfortunately I gave up online dating at the beginning of this year. Like I said it has been unfruitful since 2002. So I have stopped taking it seriously. I am purely on it just for the when im bored/entertainment factor now.

1 in 18 aint bad now

it is very common as a new member to get this number of emails the 1st day you join. I was getting 100 emails a day for about 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm on POF at the moment and I have to say it's been slim pickings since I re-joined a couple of weeks ago. I had one girl email me and we corresponded a bit but it fizzled out and I decided not to meet her.

I send the odd mail now and again when someone catches my eye but so many of the girls profiles are bland and boring, and almost a word for word copy of the previous member's profile. I think sometimes they put up a half decent pic and make no effort at the profile and sort of expect the suitors to be lining up. I guess on dating sites that works to a point in that girls will automatically get tons of messages purely because of their gender, but I often think those who put no effort into their profile are casting a fairly small net.

No unfortunately I gave up online dating at the beginning of this year. Like I said it has been unfruitful since 2002. So I have stopped taking it seriously. I am purely on it just for the when im bored factor now.

It can be annoying. I took a break from it there for awhile myself.

Not taking it seriously is the best thing though. Maybe you'll have better luck with that outlook! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Not taking it seriously is the best thing though. Maybe you'll have better luck with that outlook! :)

Exactly - if you look for something you won't find it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

As a matter of interest Magneticimpulse, what age are you?

PM if you don't want to reply on the forum.

Pembily wrote: »
    Exactly - if you look for something you won't find it!

tell me about it an envolope with 50 k in it would be sweat :D

Magnetic i'm really not trying to be offensive in saying this, but if you've been actively looking and single for so long do you not think it could be down to your approach and not that internet dating is so awful?

I'm obviously just smokin hawwwt :rolleyes

Trying to avoid the temptation of PM'ing you for your POF username so I can have a nosey at it :D

• Advertisement

Magnetic i'm really not trying to be offensive in saying this, but if you've been actively looking and single for so long do you not think it could be down to your approach and not that internet dating is so awful?

No I dont think it is down to my approach at all. I have also changed countries etc within that time and lived in places I knew were short term just for my course/career. The dates didnt work out for a number of reasons, I had nothing in common with the guy or the guy was not interested. Also it gets exhausting when people have 5 dates lined up one after the other. It turns out more to be an interview situation to be their other half. I find the real world people are less inclined to go through so many dates and approach dating in a nicer way. I find some online members can be on dating websites for years....you see the same faces male/female (im included)....people are going one from the next and not finding what they are looking for. The guys I went on dates with are still on POF/match.com.....so it works both ways!!!

When I look at my friends and see where they met their partner it was via work or the same university course. Two friends were successful with online dating, but that is out of about 400 friends. My friends are similar in personality, outlook to life as I am. It was just luck that they met their partner at work or university. The places I have worked/studied the guys were already in relationships.

G-Money wrote: »
    Trying to avoid the temptation of PM'ing you for your POF username so I can have a nosey at it :D

That would shatter the dream though :cool:
    No I dont think it is down to my approach at all. I have also changed countries etc within that time and lived in places I knew were short term just for my course/career. The dates didnt work out for a number of reasons, I had nothing in common with the guy or the guy was not interested. Also it gets exhausting when people have 5 dates lined up one after the other. It turns out more to be an interview situation to be their other half. I find the real world people are less inclined to go through so many dates and approach dating in a nicer way. I find some online members can be on dating websites for years....you see the same faces male/female (im included)....people are going one from the next and not finding what they are looking for. The guys I went on dates with are still on POF/match.com.....so it works both ways!!!

When I look at my friends and see where they met their partner it was via work or the same university course. Two friends were successful with online dating, but that is out of about 400 friends. My friends are similar in personality, outlook to life as I am. It was just luck that they met their partner at work or university. The places I have worked/studied the guys were already in relationships.

Hmm to be honest I think you expect far too much of it, I've only met up with one person but it was nothing like an interview or anything and the dates were lovely, granted it didn't work out but I don't think that has anything to do with it being generated from a online dating site.

I'm sure all 400 of your friends haven't tried online dating, so that probably changes the success rate your perceiving. I think you have to take into account the way you set the tone, it's not just the men who are to blame for boring dates or dates not working out.

To be honest you seem quite bitter over the whole thing and I'd say you should take a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Top tip: People online are actually the same species as those in the "real world" :pac:.

Some will like you, others will not. You will like some people, you will not like others. Chatting online is no different to opening conversation in a bar.

no one could be that unlucky not even me,
    dont be so serious about it or u will get no where otherwise:):)

I try not to text more than one girl at a time. Mostly as you can't really give people enough time to see if you really like them if you're constantly comparing and weighing them up against other people which I think is inevitable if you are contacting more than one at a time.

By all means, email whatever number you want, but I think it's better to meet up with one person at a time and don't meet others until you see what happens with that first person. Otherwise you run the risk of that whole "interview" feeling or it's just a conveyor belt of people, none of whom really get enough of your time.

I try not to text more than one girl at a time. Mostly as you can't really give people enough time to see if you really like them if you're constantly comparing and weighing them up against other people which I think is inevitable if you are contacting more than one at a time.

By all means, email whatever number you want, but I think it's better to meet up with one person at a time and don't meet others until you see what happens with that first person. Otherwise you run the risk of that whole "interview" feeling or it's just a conveyor belt of people, none of whom really get enough of your time.

Very true!!

magneticimpulse

Just saw a Picture of you:eek::eek:. how are you still single!. you look like a very beautiful intelligent woman. you should have no problem in finding the right person.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

magneticimpulse

Just saw a Picture of you:eek::eek:. how are you still single!. you look like a very beautiful intelligent woman. you should have no problem in finding the right person.:):)

Pics or GTFO:D

busyliving wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO:D
    the pics very nice.(being totally genuine:))

• Advertisement

jenny111: Like I already said I have been on a break since March. It obviously has not changed my mind. Yes I am very bitter, I had too many horrible experiences from it.

The dates from match.com were in general nice. I just went on one date from POF and I have already gone through that experience on this thread. The date told me I should have worn a dress and shown more skin on the date and he told me I was ugly.

Another guy had 3 dates lined up the same week. He cooked me dinner at his house (i had a total of 3 dates with him). He told me the date on the Tuesday was horrible and the woman was like a man. I was Wednesday and then Thursday was another date he had lined up with another woman. He later texted to say she was way more beautiful than me.

The last guy I met from match.com wanted me to pooh in front of him on our date (again i mentioned that before on here)

The list goes on, I could write a book.

Yes I have been really unlucky! I think my guy friends see me as really independent etc and happy. Thats the way I come across to them. But I put on a brave face. I just give up really. Sure I have alot to offer, but that does not mean you will find a partner. I think people just forget I exist/I dont put myself out there more/too old and bitter because of so much bad luck??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement