Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Packed it in today. Found it very hard to feel "normal" sending girls messages etc. Got plenty sent to me and had the same feeling.

There is also many, many, many crazy types!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I had the same scenario. Only for the 3rd date he did cook me dinner. Since I was at his and 1 hour drive away I obviously had to sleep at his. I slept in the spare room....so I guess he decided it wouldnt work out after that....but it didnt feel right considering he told me he was cooking dinner for another girl the next night.

You win some, you lose some (maybe you have to lose alot to win one haha).

I wonder how many people have stuck with it?? Seems like little success rate from the stories. Lots of people calling it a day...ive still no intention to give it a go for a long time.

I find that you can really only give the sites about a month (max) at a time. After that, all you are seeing is people who youve messaged and they haven't responded (fair enough, means they're not interested) or people that you are just not attracted to.

Then if you give it a break for a few weeks/ months to recharge the batteries (and reset the rejection counter back to 0 :pac:) and go back again i tend to find i have a lot more patience for it. But I will still only hang around for a month or so before skedaddling off again.

Joined Match last week, and have been getting a much higher rate of reply than on any of the other sites (even the paid section of ones like AnotherFriend) and what makes it even better, is there are all new faces too!! I find that POF, OKC and the others have a lot of crossover population. In fairness to match, i have not yet seen one girl that i recognised from other sites.

Did find an old classmate though!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

well ive been drifting in and out of dating sites for the last year, met some nice people and not so nice people. with the jigs and the reels ive had pretty much bad luck on it, so have decided to call it a day..

so here's to real life dating..
    it'll prob take alot longer to meet someone, but i think its the better option for me :)
    i will still follow this thread, see how the rest of ye are getting on ;)

liz2 wrote: »
    well ive been drifting in and out of dating sites for the last year, met some nice people and not so nice people. with the jigs and the reels ive had pretty much bad luck on it, so have decided to call it a day..

so here's to real life dating..
    it'll prob take alot longer to meet someone, but i think its the better option for me :)
    i will still follow this thread, see how the rest of ye are getting on ;)

As i said to a lady friend who first recommended it to me (it was her subtle way of saying NOT INTERESTED GC, NOT NOW, NOT EVER!!!:D), if i want to get ignored by women i find attractive i can do it for free in any pub i go into~!!

The 3D world of dating can be every bit as hard though.... I wouldn't totally kick it to the kerb Liz, just take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

What I found sometimes is that I was messaging people I wouldn't normally even notice in the 'real world' maybe it was the "to get a reply" factor, I couldn't decide.
    Maybe I just see to meet people face-to-face to get a spark rather than just look at photos/words on a screen.
    Either way the account is finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

got a meet me from someone, sent a short hello, got a reply back with a pic. know her from years back! talking going well so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

gatecrash wrote: »
    As i said to a lady friend who first recommended it to me (it was her subtle way of saying NOT INTERESTED GC, NOT NOW, NOT EVER!!!:D), if i want to get ignored by women i find attractive i can do it for free in any pub i go into~!!

The 3D world of dating can be every bit as hard though.... I wouldn't totally kick it to the kerb Liz, just take a break.

i dunno, im still not convinced :rolleyes:
    i think its the 'not knowing the person through another person' aspect of online dating that scares me the most.
    im meeting guys off that & i don't know the first thing about them. in my experience, they don't be totally honest with me about their personal lives or their intentions as to what theyre looking for :confused:

maybe im old fashioned but from all of this ive come to realise that id rather meet someone, where people know of him or through mutual hobbies etc where i have a sense of what the guy is like first

i think its the 'not knowing the person through another person' aspect of online dating that scares me the most.
    im meeting guys off that & i don't know the first thing about them. in my experience, they don't be totally honest with me about their personal lives or their intentions as to what theyre looking for :confused:

maybe im old fashioned but from all of this ive come to realise that id rather meet someone, where people know of him or through mutual hobbies etc where i have a sense of what the guy is like first

That's fair enough, and it is a risk that you take with meeting someone off a computer screen as opposed to meeting through a mutual friend. I mean, look at the majority of our parents, they will have met through work or through mutual friends.

Maybe there is a bit of a dependence on internet dating developing as a result of people using the internet and technology for so many other things. I'm sure there's many a dissertation or thesis been done on it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

gatecrash wrote: »
    That's fair enough, and it is a risk that you take with meeting someone off a computer screen as opposed to meeting through a mutual friend. I mean, look at the majority of our parents, they will have met through work or through mutual friends.

Maybe there is a bit of a dependence on internet dating developing as a result of people using the internet and technology for so many other things. I'm sure there's many a dissertation or thesis been done on it!! :)

I agree with liz2. There is alot to be said about finding someone via your circle of friends/job/studies or other common interest. Online dating is more than a box of chocolates...you really dont know what your going to get.

As for dissertation/thesis about online dating...ive not quite done that. Ive certainly wasted time on here and online dating when I should be finishing a thesis about chemistry of the molecular kind and not the loving kind ;)

I agree with liz2. There is alot to be said about finding someone via your circle of friends/job/studies or other common interest. Online dating is more than a box of chocolates...you really dont know what your going to get.

As for dissertation/thesis about online dating...ive not quite done that. Ive certainly wasted time on here and online dating when I should be finishing a thesis about chemistry of the molecular kind and not the loving kind ;)

I'll tell ya what Magnetic, when you are finished the chemical one we can work on a chemistry one together!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

They're all nice ways to meet people, but on the other hand I have a couple of friends who I like dearly as friends but would be very concerned if my sister were to date them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone fancy a drink this weekend?

Me do online dating right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Drunk POF'ing last night:(

Now to log on to see how much damage i did:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

busyliving wrote: »
    Drunk POF'ing last night:(

Now to log on to see how much damage i did:o

i bet you got loads of replys from the intimate encounters!!! :D:D:D:D
    some of them are very funny:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

i bet you got loads of replys from the intimate encounters!!! :D:D:D:D
    some of them are very funny:D:D

hey the intimate encounter section on POF seems to be more serious than the dating section....(im being sacarstic...im still not going back to Online dating anytime soon).

hey the intimate encounter section on POF seems to be more serious than the dating section....(im being sacarstic...im still not going back to Online dating anytime soon).

Damn........ That's a no on the chemistry project then!! :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

AWWWW:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

AWWWW:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ninja editing skills there 007!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Yeah I have the same feeling about it. It is one of the things that would worry me a bit, as people could be totally making up fake lives and it might take quite a while to find out. Or people could hide a lot of their real personality temporarily, but if you knew them through something else first you might already have a sense of them.

Mind you I haven't quite given up yet but I will probably take a break in a few weeks if I get nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

That_Guy wrote: »

are you single again? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You never meet up with me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

How on earth do you get chatting to someone at work when a: you don't work together, b: you're in different teams, c: you've no reason to communicate for work issues in order to build on anything, d: they work in another building?

There are several girls at work that I fancy, however they're all in different departments that we never interact with for any reason. I'd occasionally see them in the canteen during lunch and that's about it. It's a pretty big company too so everything is fairly well spread out. Nights out with these other teams are not really possible either.

What's the answer there???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

G-Money wrote: »
    How on earth do you get chatting to someone at work when a: you don't work together, b: you're in different teams, c: you've no reason to communicate for work issues in order to build on anything, d: they work in another building?

There are several girls at work that I fancy, however they're all in different departments that we never interact with for any reason. I'd occasionally see them in the canteen during lunch and that's about it. It's a pretty big company too so everything is fairly well spread out. Nights out with these other teams are not really possible either.

What's the answer there???

Try organise a company wide social night, hide your true intentions though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    Yeah I have the same feeling about it. It is one of the things that would worry me a bit, as people could be totally making up fake lives and it might take quite a while to find out. Or people could hide a lot of their real personality temporarily, but if you knew them through something else first you might already have a sense of them.

Mind you I haven't quite given up yet but I will probably take a break in a few weeks if I get nowhere.

I dunno, I think it's a rare person who could pull off a whole fake personality and life, even if they were nuts enough to want to. Even in the first date, I'd say they'd be tripping themselves up with lies or acting weird.

I really think that online dating is just a different medium to meet the regular single folk who you could meet anywhere else by coincidence, and the fact that you're both online just gives you the confidence to start a conversation that might not happen in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

So got my first OKC date lined up for Saturday, Yea i know I'm awesome, you can all touch me but you'll have to form an orderly queue.

Been texting awhile and we have a good bit in common so should be good craic, not gonna get my hopes up just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

I dunno, I think it's a rare person who could pull off a whole fake personality and life, even if they were nuts enough to want to. Even in the first date, I'd say they'd be tripping themselves up with lies or acting weird.

I really think that online dating is just a different medium to meet the regular single folk who you could meet anywhere else by coincidence, and the fact that you're both online just gives you the confidence to start a conversation that might not happen in person.

Yeah, you're right really. I suppose I am just a bit cautious, and also nervous of being taken in by someone who is married or in a relationship already but pretending not to be.

They guy I am talking to at the moment seems nice and normal though (probably an axe murderer of course :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Aye, that I am lad.
    Larianne wrote: »
    You never meet up with me. :(

In my defence.... *runs away*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I know I'm not supposed to post here about girlfriend stuff but....

I was out at a meeting this evening. There was a program about dinosaurs on BBC and she recorded it for me. :D

Online dating FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Galvasean wrote: »
    I know I'm not supposed to post here about girlfriend stuff but....

I was out at a meeting this evening. There was a program about dinosaurs on BBC and she recorded it for me. :D

Online dating FTW.

Was this the girl you only met a few weeks back, or am I getting you mixed up with another boards user?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Aye, that I am lad

What's with the pretentious answer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement