Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DwightShrute

Galvasean wrote: »
    I know I'm not supposed to post here about girlfriend stuff but....

I was out at a meeting this evening. There was a program about dinosaurs on BBC and she recorded it for me. :D

Online dating FTW.

It wasn't that programme on BBC4 by any chance?! The bloody excellent, ''The Killing'' (which in one episode, keeping things vaguely on topic, featured a mayor candidate for Copenhagen taking to online dating following the death of his wife, calling himself ''Faust'') followed so I caught a bit of the dino-fest beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I think most of the guys reading this have realized there is 30 or 40 times or more guys on a dating site for every girl.

I've read through 20 pages of this thread only to discover its mostly women replying :) not a bad thing but for the guy's who get little or no replies... for every one mail you get the girl is getting 100. of course the girls can be short with you and many ignore your mails but its a artificial environment, while it boosts the girls ego to no ends it often makes a guy question himself. Take heart there is more women in Ireland than men. ;)

Dating sites will always be very hit and miss especially for guys, theres no harm in it and have fun but don't take it serious and remember if a girl getting dozens of mails per day and is still on the site months or years later there is something amiss. So if you really want to meet girls look around at the most common places shops, buses, trains, pubs and clubs the ratio can be 1:1 and you don't have to worry about a cropped photo. :D
    have fun and enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

What's with the pretentious answer?

???

I wouldn't call that pretentious.

visual wrote: »
    I think most of the guys reading this have realized there is 30 or 40 times or more guys on a dating site for every girl.

I've read through 20 pages of this thread only to discover its mostly women replying :) not a bad thing but for the guy's who get little or no replies... for every one mail you get the girl is getting 100. of course the girls can be short with you and many ignore your mails but its a artificial environment, while it boosts the girls ego to no ends it often makes a guy question himself. Take heart there is more women in Ireland than men. ;)

Dating sites will always be very hit and miss especially for guys, theres no harm in it and have fun but don't take it serious and remember if a girl getting dozens of mails per day and is still on the site months or years later there is something amiss. So if you really want to meet girls look around at the most common places shops, buses, trains, pubs and clubs the ratio can be 1:1 and you don't have to worry about a cropped photo. :D
    have fun and enjoy

yep, there's an idea... hang around outside train stations all day long..... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

remember if a girl getting dozens of mails per day and is still on the site months or years later there is something amiss.

Why?

Just because girls might get more mails than men on a dating site does not mean they are going to find someone compatible much quicker, I could easily see a girl going out on one date a week for a couple of months and still not finding someone they really click with so I wouldn't assume something is amiss with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Maguined wrote: »
    Why?

Just because girls might get more mails than men on a dating site does not mean they are going to find someone compatible much quicker, I could easily see a girl going out on one date a week for a couple of months and still not finding someone they really click with so I wouldn't assume something is amiss with her.

Yeah have to agree. I get plenty of mail - most of it says 'fancy a sh*g'. Nothing wrong with me! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What's with the pretentious answer?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

have fun and enjoy

I find that to be a bit of a lazy generalisation about women on dating sites tbh. Its just not true that women get 100's of messages per day!!Or if it is true then I am an absolute complete munter, and my personality comes across as heinous on my profile :) I get about two messages per week, and would reply to most of them. I am definately not doing online to get an ego boost, I am doing it because I would like to meet someone I have a connection with.

Internet dating not going too good at the mo for me. Each time I suggest a meet up I don't hear anything back. It annoys me that some people are use dating sites as an internet forum to chat to people, have they not heared of boards! I had a lovely encounter in a coffee shop in Rathmines the other day when I got chatting to a really nice guy. We didn't swap numbers or anything, but it restored my confidence in meeting someone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

panda100 wrote: »
    I had a lovely encounter in a coffee shop in Rathmines the other day when I got chatting to a really nice guy. We didn't swap numbers or anything, but it restored my confidence in meeting someone :)

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but if you're trying internet dating you're obviously hoping to meet someone, so why not take the chances that present themselves elsewhere? Internet, coffee shop, runs you down in his car, wherever, you think he's lovely, get his number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but if you're trying internet dating you're obviously hoping to meet someone, so why not take the chances that present themselves elsewhere? Internet, coffee shop, runs you down in his car, wherever, you think he's lovely, get his number!

now that's the route id rather take myself! :pac:

the guys at work are always telling me i should play the damsel in distress in supermarkets etc when i spot a hottie...by dropping a bag of apples or something in the hope he might help me to pick them up & then supposedly get chatting to him :rolleyes: :pac:
    knowing my luck he'd have a wedding ring on :eek:

(might be worth a try though........:P

• Advertisement

liz2 wrote: »
    now that's the route id rather take myself! :pac:

the guys at work are always telling me i should play the damsel in distress in supermarkets etc when i spot a hottie...by dropping a bag of apples or something in the hope he might help me to pick them up & then supposedly get chatting to him :rolleyes: :pac:
    knowing my luck he'd have a wedding ring on :eek:

(might be worth a try though........:P

But if he turns out to have a wedding ring on, or doesn't suit you for whatever reason, you've had a little practise at it and next time you'll be slick like this guy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

But if he turns out to have a wedding ring on, or doesn't suit you for whatever reason, you've had a little practise at it and next time you'll be slick like this guy :cool:

there'll be alot of bruised apples in tesco's if i am to give it a go :pac:

liz2 wrote: »
    there'll be alot of bruised apples in tesco's if i am to give it a go :pac:

Use tins, so they'll survive the fall and if he has a ring but still chances his arm, you have something handy to brain him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Would rather keep it as a nice encounter, rather than turn it into an embarrasing moment where he tells me he has a girlfriend or the likes!

panda100 wrote: »
    Would rather keep it as a nice encounter, rather than turn it into an embarrasing moment where he tells me he has a girlfriend or the likes!

Ok, your business obviously, but you know that means passing up chances, maybe great chances? You're setting the standard that unless you know for certain he'll say yes, hasn't got an OH etc, you won't ask. Seems like making a rod for your back to me. You'll end up with a lot of "he was great, but nah, I didn't chance it" stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Go on OKC.

Get reply from person who "replies very selectively"

tumblr_l9qo7mrZbZ1qzzud0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

I'm having a moment of empathy for you men folk. I just got an email from a guy who read my profile, put a bit of effort into sending a nice email that referenced stuff I'd said about myself, has a literate profile that comes across as genuine and looks grand in his photos - in other words, exactly the perfect first contact.

And at the end of his email he writes 'hope I'm not coming across as creepy' ..... What sort of accusations has the poor fella had thrown at him in the past?? What have we wimmin done to the poor men of Ireland? :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

That_Guy wrote: »
    What?

You called me Lad sorry talking to the wrong person I dont play foot ball how ever if you wanna play cricket with me il show you an over arm bowl in cricket thats dirter then your briefs but hey just dont do it again kiddo thanks.

You called me Lad sorry talking to the wrong person I dont play foot ball how ever if you wanna play cricket with me il show you an over arm bowl in cricket thats dirter then your briefs but hey just dont do it again kiddo thanks.

I love it when you can feel the sexual tension in the air in the online dating thread, go for it and ask him out! ;)

Snowy, seriously, you have a wee bit of a chippy on the ol' shoulder there.

Having a pop at MagneticImpulse a few days ago, now having a go at That Guy cos he said 'Lad', in a sentence directed at you.

Chill the jets there ....... ( I was gonna say it but that'd just be mean and childish.... :))

• Advertisement

I'm having a moment of empathy for you men folk. I just got an email from a guy who read my profile, put a bit of effort into sending a nice email that referenced stuff I'd said about myself, has a literate profile that comes across as genuine and looks grand in his photos - in other words, exactly the perfect first contact.

And at the end of his email he writes 'hope I'm not coming across as creepy' ..... What sort of accusations has the poor fella had thrown at him in the past?? What have we wimmin done to the poor men of Ireland? :pac::pac::pac:

You broke us all there... Laddette!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 furion

man give anotherfriend.com a go, i've been going out every second weekend or so to meet new chicks, its a ****ing snap and a cool way to meet a diverse bunch of new people. once you get over the stigma in your own head and check it out, you'll see its actually quite cool. go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

furion wrote: »
    man give anotherfriend.com a go, i've been going out every second weekend or so to meet new chicks, its a ****ing snap and a cool way to meet a diverse bunch of new people. once you get over the stigma in your own head and check it out, you'll see its actually quite cool. go for it.

I was on that site until yesterday when I axed my profile. I got fed up with the site and its horrifically slow. I got one girls number last week but to be honest I kind of got bored texting her almost straight away. I lost interest quite quickly in anything else so I haven't contacted her since. She hasn't been in touch with me either so I guess the indifference is mutual!

gatecrash wrote: »

My most humblest apologies.....

... to the rest of the men, you probably deserved it!! :D

My most humblest apologies.....

... to the rest of the men, you probably deserved it!! :D

Pffffft

Last time I give you any virtual Jaffa cakes!!

Pffffft

Last time I give you any virtual Jaffa cakes!!

When did you ever give me virtual jaffa cakes?? I can take a joke about anything else, but I take my sweet tooth very seriously!!!

(unless that's slang you hip young kids are using nowadays, in which case, it's gone right over my head)

When did you ever give me virtual jaffa cakes?? I can take a joke about anything else, but I take my sweet tooth very seriously!!!

(unless that's slang you hip young kids are using nowadays, in which case, it's gone right over my head)

i'm neither hip nor young!

and you are well aware of that smartie (see what i did there, teasing you with sweets now!!) pants!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭jenny111111

G-Money wrote: »
    I was on that site until yesterday when I axed my profile. I got fed up with the site and its horrifically slow. I got one girls number last week but to be honest I kind of got bored texting her almost straight away. I lost interest quite quickly in anything else so I haven't contacted her since. She hasn't been in touch with me either so I guess the indifference is mutual!

I'm feeling the indifference thing over online dating (actually think it might be dating in general). I haven't been on for a few days and i know i've some messages from some really lovely guys waiting for me but I just can't bring myself to care, I think I'm completely disillusioned with the whole thing...might be time to give up for the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Quick q? If you block someone from OKC do they know??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Pembily wrote: »
    Quick q? If you block someone from OKC do they know??

I know now that you've blocked me :pac:

Sorry, I couldn't resist, only joking, I'm not even on the site.

My guess is they might know if they tried to send them a mail. I mailed one girl on POF, perfectly normal mail, no sleaze or anything and she blocked me straight away. The only reason I knew was that I checked my sent messages and saw the one to her was not there, so I tried to send it again and bang, I got a message saying she had blocked me.

Yet another reason to leave online dating - being blocked for no reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement