Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

the usual way was asking her name she said doesnt matter(had given her my name she asked) & after that then she said i used to date some that worked in the same job as me.& she tells me this after 1hr& 1/2 chatting and doesnt ans anymore...

a well POF in the Sea:D:D:D

Well that's a load of balls. You know for next time to cut convo when she won't give up info. Esp. if you told her your name. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

G-Money wrote: »
    I remember one time being on POF and I got talking to this girl. I think she might have initiated things by emailing me first, but I replied anyway. She had no pic on her profile but I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and kept chatting.

I got her MSN address and we went onto that and eventually I said "Do you have a pic?" And her reply was "No, and you're not getting one". I rapidly started to lose interest in the conversation after that and one of her next lines was "You can't be bothered can you, you're not making any effort".

I thought to myself "F*** this, I'm out of here". I made my excuses, blocked her and never heard from her again. She sounded ever so bitter.

nearly the same thing happened to me now tonite. except she would not give name after i did???

Larianne wrote: »
    Well that's a load of balls. You know for next time to cut convo when she won't give up info. Esp. if you told her your name. :rolleyes:
    i was smart enough to only mention my 1st name that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I think it's weird when someone wants to add you on Facebook after a few messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think it's weird when someone wants to add you on Facebook after a few messages.

I sometimes suggest that, usually to check out other pics of them and to see if the one(s) they have on their profile are a realistic view of how they normally look or just cherry picked from one good night years ago :)

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    I sometimes suggest that, usually to check out other pics of them and to see if the one(s) they have on their profile are a realistic view of how they normally look or just cherry picked from one good night years ago :)

I get worried adding them cause I have loads of **** pics of me up on my profile cause it's all people I know! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm slightly more iffy about it now too as my FB had details of where I work and things like that. I've recently re-created my FB as I wasn't able to leave one "network" that I was currently joined and it was my employers and I didn't want everyone to know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think someone tried to chat to me tonight and I hit block on the pop up blocker :mad:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I get worried adding them cause I have loads of **** pics of me up on my profile cause it's all people I know! :pac:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I don't have a pic as I have been recognised twice and I don't like it - but I do say that I will give a pic once asked nicely! I also give my name once asked nicely and by nicely I don't mean - yo sexy, I mean that we have spoken for a while and it's in a polite non sex related way! I don't see why some women are so bitter? :confused: :eek:

• Advertisement

Messaging a nice girl now! Let's hope I don't scare her off! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭liz2

i always give my name :) only on a first name basis thou.. sure i chatted to and dated a guy for over a month and never thought to ask him what his surname was :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

liz2 wrote: »
    i always give my name :) only on a first name basis thou.. sure i chatted to and dated a guy for over a month and never thought to ask him what his surname was :rolleyes:

I did that too with someone I met IRL before, it just slipped my mind completely to ask over the space of a few weeks! It can be a funny conversation to have, I find that some people feel obliged to then comment on my name - like for example to compliment on it being "a good Irish name" - as if I had any part in picking it out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I did that too with someone I met IRL before, it just slipped my mind completely to ask over the space of a few weeks! It can be a funny conversation to have, I find that some people feel obliged to then comment on my name - like for example to compliment on it being "a good Irish name" - as if I had any part in picking it out. :)

That's something i always find funny.... i get slagged a bit over my full name.

As for the not getting someones surname, i know i've done the same thing. There was a girl on my phone who's name was Anne Blondedatesite for 6 months!!!

It wasonly after we stoipped seeing each other that i got her surname!

Another night of carpet bombing with no returns! :pac:

Your replies could be waiting to flood in. :)

I was out last night, but had a few emails waiting for me today. I'm feeling too lazy to think up replies now but will get around to it, so some of your carpet bomb victims could be thinking the same!

Your replies could be waiting to flood in. :)

I was out last night, but had a few emails waiting for me today. I'm feeling too lazy to think up replies now but will get around to it, so some of your carpet bomb victims could be thinking the same!

Empty inbox so far. You could be one of my victims! :pac:

good lord, i may have a date during the week :pac:
    just when i was about to give up & close my profile someone else came along! im approaching this with an open mind thou :rolleyes::)

0 for 9 tonight and counting! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Message I got last night on pof last night containing one sentence 'I want you'. Sounds like he's a great catch :p

How long do ye think is too long to be exchanging messages before meeting up? In my case it's been well over a month which is probably too long as you end up forming a mental picture of what someone is like, which is bound to be completely inaccurate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Id say sooner rather than later tbh.Ive left it for a few weeks before meeting up in the past and as you said,you have a mental picture formed and its terribly disappointing when you dont click in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

hollypink wrote: »
    Message I got last night on pof last night containing one sentence 'I want you'. Sounds like he's a great catch :p

I'm so sorry.

What I typed was "I want you to be my north, my south, my sun, moon and stars. I want you to be the one I devote myself to and give my all to. I want you to feel supported, loved and understood in every way. I want you to tell me who that bitch in work is and I will hate her as well". There was more too, all really good stuff, but I hit send by accident and now we've missed the boat :(

:pac:

A guy who I've swapped a couple of emails with has just sent "how's online dating going for you? Judging by your profile I guess you've been on a good few dates".

I'm not sure if he is trying to figure out if I'm some sort of floozey, or if he was trying to give me a compliment cos all the men must be after a profile as smokin' hawt as mine. And either way, isn't it weird to ask someone you could potentially date about their other dates? If I was in a pub, it would be very rude to ask someone if they gave their number out a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

A guy who I've swapped a couple of emails with has just sent "how's online dating going for you? Judging by your profile I guess you've been on a good few dates".

I'm not sure if he is trying to figure out if I'm some sort of floozey, or if he was trying to give me a compliment cos all the men must be after a profile as smokin' hawt as mine. And either way, isn't it weird to ask someone you could potentially date about their other dates? If I was in a pub, it would be very rude to ask someone if they gave their number out a lot.

Sounds complimentary. No weirder than people asking how you're finding the site etc. Probably just wanted to get chatting to you I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Tbh you are reading too much into it IMHO. That's the one thing with online dating, as it's usually all through the medium of text, people don't get inflections and turns of speech.

I'd say just to not worry about something fairly casual and throw away, see if he's a nice guy and go from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Id say sooner rather than later tbh.Ive left it for a few weeks before meeting up in the past and as you said,you have a mental picture formed and its terribly disappointing when you dont click in person.

agreed too many emails back and forth is a bad idea, better just to meet up early and see if there is an attraction either way.

well i usually met the guy after a few weeks and would have had a picture built up in my head...some worked out fine, others didn't.
    this time im going against all the odds, im bypassing my usual rules and will be meeting this guy after just a week. maybe im mad, but might be a good chance to take.. he does seem like a decent bloke, so why not :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

well i usually met the guy after a few weeks and would have had a picture built up in my head...some worked out fine, others didn't.
    this time im going against all the odds, im bypassing my usual rules and will be meeting this guy after just a week. maybe im mad, but might be a good chance to take.. he does seem like a decent bloke, so why not :cool:

I think a week is fine, good luck with it! To be honest while I want to meet this guy, in another way I haven't been in too much of a hurry because of the last date I had (if being stood up counts as an actual date :o ). Still lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, right? :p

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Tbh you are reading too much into it IMHO. That's the one thing with online dating, as it's usually all through the medium of text, people don't get inflections and turns of speech.

I'd say just to not worry about something fairly casual and throw away, see if he's a nice guy and go from there

I'll update my profile to include 'reading too much into everything" under my characteristics. ;)

Yeah, otherwise he does seem nice and we appear to have loads in common so I won't worry about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

nah, it sounds like he was complimenting your profile.

Good woman! :D

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    I think a week is fine, good luck with it! To be honest while I want to meet this guy, in another way I haven't been in too much of a hurry because of the last date I had (if being stood up counts as an actual date :o ). Still lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, right? :p

I'm sure that won't happen again, you were just unlucky last time. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement